Our next centre forward

Thebigguy68

I'm sure that those of us who are expressing concern/disappointment hope you are right that Cameron will come good.

His performances for struggling Alloa laat season seemed much better than what we're seeing for Killie and I can't understand that

I didn't see the reincarnation of Kris Boyd under SSC coming for one so who knows?

I just feel the weight of expectation looks too much at the moment. Working alongside a more natural poacher like a Paul Wright, Heffernan or the aforementioned Boyd even if that meant he was limited to substitute appearances would really help his development.

38 minutes ago, Lorielus said:

I was a pretty big fan of Magennis, always thought he was a much better forward than he got credit for in his time with us, but it might surprise you to know he actually has a worse scoring record than Cameron in their respective careers to date.

They have been playing at totally different levels!

Cameron has played a few matches, mostly in the Scottish Championship and League One. He's 20. 

Magennis is 30, has 61 caps and has played hundreds of matches in the Scottish Premiership and English Championship/ League One.

No comparison at all.

1 minute ago, skygod said:

Cameron has played a few matches, mostly in the Scottish Championship and League One. He's 20. 

Magennis is 30, has 61 caps and has played hundreds of matches in the Scottish Premiership and English Championship/ League One.

No comparison at all.

This ⬆️

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

No comparison at all.

Yes, this is the point I keep making, these are completely inappropriate players to compare to a guy that started his career 10 minutes ago.

A far more sensible comparison would be Colin Nish, who scored his first competitive goal at the age of 19 and scored 13 in his first four seasons on loan at roughly the same sort of level at Cameron had (13 in 60 appearances versus 17 for in 55 for Cameron).  He was 22 before he came to us and developed a solid scoring record.

That seems a reasonable level of expectation to set for Cameron to aim for, not comparing him to internationalists and generational talents.

20 minutes ago, Mcd said:

He might not be ready at present but let's not write him off already, he is 20 playing in a completely new team. I do not recall any cleat chances for him today. 

That’s because he was posted missing. No offence to the guy but so far he has shown nothing to give the impression he can cut it at this level. 

2 hours ago, Lorielus said:

Yes, this is the point I keep making, these are completely inappropriate players to compare to a guy that started his career 10 minutes ago.

A far more sensible comparison would be Colin Nish, who scored his first competitive goal at the age of 19 and scored 13 in his first four seasons on loan at roughly the same sort of level at Cameron had (13 in 60 appearances versus 17 for in 55 for Cameron).  He was 22 before he came to us and developed a solid scoring record.

That seems a reasonable level of expectation to set for Cameron to aim for, not comparing him to internationalists and generational talents.

I agree with what you’re saying but at this moment in time what Killie need is a striker that’s going to get us 15-20 league goals this season because if we have someone who does that it would make big difference between winning the league or not. Currently Cameron doesn’t look like he is that guy and this should be another development season for him while we bring in a first choice striker.  

50 minutes ago, Mcd said:

He might not be ready at present but let's not write him off already, he is 20 playing in a completely new team. I do not recall any cleat chances for him today. 

There were a few great balls into the box today that a good penalty box striker should have been on the end of. 

There is nothing wrong in giving youth a chance. Playing last 20mins when we are winning comfortably would be ideal.

it's unfortunate that Innes is in the deep-end, as we have no one else. But its also an opportunity for him.

I've been at the last 3 games, and while we had a lot of crosses in.. few were great quality, today was the best especially in the first half. 

I want him to do well, but so far both championship and league one center half's have him under control. 

He is not the finished article but he has been around 5 years so you would hope to see a lot of progress..that isn't evident so far.

Maybe playing with a more dynamic or experienced CF may help.. but right now he isn't showing enough to say he has attributes that would develop into a good player.

Hopefully we get someone signed to work with him and get us scoring.

2 hours ago, drmurray said:

He is not the finished article but he has been around 5 years so you would hope to see a lot of progress..that isn't evident so far.

But he's never had a great number of games to see any progress, and you can't judge a player when he hasn't played many games. I reckon once he gets the taste for a goal or two, then we'll start to see him flourish. I could be wrong though, but it would be good to see the lad get the chance for a season to really let him settle and get a good look at him.

The problem is the club can't write off the season to try and give players the opportunity to blossom

Players are given a chance and they have to be ready to grab it, 20 yo is not that young.

I appreciate some players mature later and become good for this level slightly later than your average player but Killie can't afford to wait, we need a proven striker to push us to promotion.

4 hours ago, Hunter said:

...it would be good to see the lad get the chance for a season to really let him settle and get a good look at him.

In what is a critical season for the club, no player is going to be given a full season to prove themselves. That is pure fantasy talk.

I get that Cameron is “just” twenty, but he was only 18 when he scored ten in 31 games for Stranraer in League One.

The following season was a washout due to injury and last season he had a good loan spell in the Championship.

There is a great opportunity for him this season with no other recognised strikers. TW has given him every chance so far, including taking penalty kicks to get his goal tally up and running.

But the team has lacked a cutting edge in the cup ties against teams from the Championship, League One, League Two and the Lowland League, although the whole team is still gelling.

It will only get harder from now and we can’t afford to be short up front. He needs to start scoring or creating goals quickly or he’ll find that he’s third or fourth striker. 

Cameron will learn he’s been given 6 games and has 3 goals could have been 7/8 if he had taken all his chances. Particularly at Clyde. 

Connell is a player I think may come in to it more he’s more involved in the game and uses his body well and makes intelligent runs. Less of a number 9. 

We need a established starting 9 and maybe a loan or a Ndjoli type (not him)

We have score goals in all the games we've played in but in a lot of ways we haven't looked like scoring when teams have 10 men behind the ball. I was actually surprised how tactically organised Morton and Stranraer were. Lots of promise in the team but as mentioned Cameron has offered nothing against these teams. When you see Queens and Dunfermline scoring the goals they have been you do wonder how we actually compare to the other top championship sides. Let's hope Tommy gets the strikers in sooner rather than later that can make the difference 

Edited by kfc_superteam

Trouble is Cameronis getting compaired with Boydie, big striker coming thru the youths, Trouble is Boydie is prob best  natural finisher i've seen, he had bags of confindence in his own abilty, and was way more skillful at same age, 

also cameron is main man so maybe not up to that pressure & this maybe hampering his game, think he'll be decent backup if we get two more strikers

I really hope Cameron comes good and that all the comparisons made are not just wishful thinking. Right now though I haven't seen anything to suggest he will contribute goals when one of our biggest ever seasons KO a week tomorrow. I hope and expect a couple of forward thinking signings as right now I'm not confident of us scoring enough to win games from what I've witnessed this week. 

Comparison of strikers is difficult because there are so many other variables dependent on how a team is set up . Cameron scored 7 in 20 last season for a team where in most games their opponents would be set up to attack ,this season most of our opponents will sit in and play on the break, it will be a far more difficult job.

Lafferty was an individual success, but as a team we were more attack minded than we had been earlier in the season , a direct comparison of like for like games shows we scored more goals but acquired less points per game. In contrast Kabamba was playing in a team where it looked like only 4 players at any time were allowed to cross the half way line. We were beaten easily by everyone that finished in the top half but in games against the bottom half we scraped the odd one goal win.

Brophy was successful when he had Stewart making space for him, Sammon was successful when Eremencko was creating chances for him. Neither of them were anywhere near Boyd as a goalscorer.

Edited by Kfcinlancashire
Auto spell edit

Cameron has been given a 2 year contract so the manager must see something.He is getting a chance and should be grabbing it with both hands.Younger players than him are holding down places at the Old Firm and playing for Scotland.The guy is 21 this year and has the physique of heavy weight boxer so it’s not as if he needs to fill out.So far I haven’t seen him using it to bully other players.Wee will find out in the next few week wether he can make it at this level or just be another bench warmer to make the team up  

12 hours ago, Killiepie said:

That’s because he was posted missing. No offence to the guy but so far he has shown nothing to give the impression he can cut it at this level. 

So let's just slag a young guy off and ruin his career before it has even started

The word “supporter” seems to be lacking in rather a lot of people who comment on this forum & on Twitter - the abuse these young players have to take is shameful - especially when it comes from their own fans.  They read this stuff & it must affect their confidence & their game - Cameron did well at Alloa because the Manager & the fans were nothing but positive about him & gave him their”support” ( - strange that both his “home” game performances have been lacking - think on!

1 hour ago, Liz Stewart said:

The word “supporter” seems to be lacking in rather a lot of people who comment on this forum & on Twitter - the abuse these young players have to take is shameful - especially when it comes from their own fans.  They read this stuff & it must affect their confidence & their game - Cameron did well at Alloa because the Manager & the fans were nothing but positive about him & gave him their”support” ( - strange that both his “home” game performances have been lacking - think on!

Its a forum for discussion and debate, so naturally a critique of players performance will be included. And if players have been poor - as innes has been in last couple of games - I think its reasonable to call it out and question whether he can do what is required for us this season. I don’t see any real abuse directed at him - in sharp contrast to the really damaging personal abuse some players got last season. I think we all want him to kick on but it’s it’s firmly in his hands. If he is effected by a few comments questioning his ability on a fans forum, he is unlikely to have the personality to make it at the high end of the game. Hopefully he’s sitting thinking “I’ll prove those clowns wrong”. Only that attitude will take him to the top.

1 minute ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Its a forum for discussion and debate, so naturally a critique of players performance will be included. And if players have been poor - as innes has been in last couple of games - I think its reasonable to call it out and question whether he can do what is required for us this season. I don’t see any real abuse directed at him - in sharp contrast to the really damaging personal abuse some players got last season. I think we all want him to kick on but it’s it’s firmly in his hands. If he is effected by a few comments questioning his ability on a fans forum, he is unlikely to have the personality to make it at the high end of the game. Hopefully he’s sitting thinking “I’ll prove those clowns wrong”. Only that attitude will take him to the top.

Exactly. Though on the abuse front last season I think it was the fans support that was abused otherwise why did the Board apologise?

If better forwards aren't recruited by the club that too will be an abuse of the fans trust and it won't be Cameron's fault.

That said I didn't see him make one discernable near or far post run or get anywhere near a cross yesterday! On that basis folk saying (without personal abuse) that he isn't likely to be good enough to be the main striker this coming season are correct and well within their rights to say so.