Our next centre forward

Thebigguy68

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting really depressed about this. Last season, it was obvious to everyone who was not on the club payroll that we desperately needed a goalkeeper. This season it was obvious, and has been ever since it was confirmed that Lafferty was leaving, that at least one experienced striker had to be a priority. Although TW has acknowledged the need and has done a brilliant job rebuilding the squad the club has failed miserably in this one key area. 

2 hours ago, KA9Killie said:

I'm getting really depressed about this. Last season, it was obvious to everyone who was not on the club payroll that we desperately needed a goalkeeper. This season it was obvious, and has been ever since it was confirmed that Lafferty was leaving, that at least one experienced striker had to be a priority. Although TW has acknowledged the need and has done a brilliant job rebuilding the squad the club has failed miserably in this one key area. 

Depressed? Over this? Did you watch us last season?

We’ve won our first two games. Calm doon.

TW has not failed miserably. He will only fail if he signs a centre forward and he’s pish. 

2 hours ago, marino13 said:

We need patience. Still go two weeks in which to find a striker and I think we will need to wait till closer to deadline to get said striker in. I have confidence that we will find what we need to allow us to push for promotion. 

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think patience is a luxury we can afford. Imagine if, come May, we miss out on automatic promotion by 1 point and, looking back over the season, we’re able to identify two games towards the end of August where we dropped points due to not having a proven striker in the team? I honestly think the board need to push the boat out and get someone in before the Hamilton game. 

7 hours ago, KA9Killie said:

The difference is that Dyer did nothing about the GK problem whereas Wright has so far brought in good players and he is presumably just waiting to make sure he gets the right striker(s). He has clearly acknowledged that that is the area that needs attention. Let’s trust him to do the business and wait to criticise if he doesn’t… I have faith that he will.

26 minutes ago, Barbinho said:

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think patience is a luxury we can afford. Imagine if, come May, we miss out on automatic promotion by 1 point and, looking back over the season, we’re able to identify two games towards the end of August where we dropped points due to not having a proven striker in the team? I honestly think the board need to push the boat out and get someone in before the Hamilton game. 

Take both points but the league won’t be won in the next 2 games. From now until 10th September they are the only two games as it’s an international break. We need to get the right striker, not just any striker for the next two games. We have Cameron and Robinson who should be competitive in those games.

Every single club in Scotland will be looking for a striker who will score them 15-20 goals a season. How many clubs will actually get one? The answer is probably not many. 

No point rushing in and just getting someone in for the sake of it, although it will eventually get to the stage that we are rushing about looking at what is left. A 15-20 goal striker and a good goalkeeper are probably 2 of the hardest positions to find. At least we have a strong defence and keeper that we might not actually need someone to score as many as 15-20 as long as we can spread the goals about.

8 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Every single club in Scotland will be looking for a striker who will score them 15-20 goals a season. How many clubs will actually get one? The answer is probably not many. 

No point rushing in and just getting someone in for the sake of it, although it will eventually get to the stage that we are rushing about looking at what is left. A 15-20 goal striker and a good goalkeeper are probably 2 of the hardest positions to find. At least we have a strong defence and keeper that we might not actually need someone to score as many as 15-20 as long as we can spread the goals about.

Exactly.

Proven top goalscorers are worth their weight in gold and any decent one will probably already have a club.

This imo is our best transfer window for a long time. A mix of youth and experience. A lot of good players in there... but more importantly, all know there roles and willing to give their all for the club. 

Going through our summer signings, there isn't a single one I look at and say "He's not good enough for us"

1 hour ago, Barbinho said:

And what if we sign just any striker, misses loads of chances, and we miss out on the play offs by a few points. Patience is key, understand we all want one in now, but id imagine another squad striker and the main man still to come. 

3 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

It does appear to be heading towards an Osman Sow like scenario. Clock ticking towards 11pm on 31st August and not even a credible rumour of a new striker.

In fairness, most of this season’s signings were a surprise, maybe we are keeping our cards close to our chests.

In Tommy we Trust