JFK

skygod

From the obituary to Charlie Gallagher on the Celtic Star website:

"A couple of weeks after his time in the first team he was in the dressing room at Kilmarnock before a Reserve game one Friday night (Reserve games were often played then and attracted reasonably large crowds) when someone came in with the news that someone had shot the President of the United States.

At half time the story was that he was now dead, and at full time, after the Reserves had lost 4-2, the story was confirmed that John F Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. It was an event that took over everything, and the following day there was an impressive tribute paid to the President in a minute’s silence. Celtic then went on to win 5-0 over Kilmarnock in one of their best performances of the season."

Can any veteran on here say that they heard of the assassination of Kennedy while at the match? Or was at the first-team match?

Celtic: Fallon; Young, Gemmell; Clark, McNeill, Kennedy; Johnstone, Murdoch, Chalmers, Divers, Hughes.
Scorers: Divers (8), Hughes 3 (43, 60, 85), Johnstone (86)

Kilmarnock:Forsyth; King, Watson; O'Connor, McGrory, Beattie; Brown, McInally, McFadzean, Sneddon, McIlroy

Referee: J Wallace (Lenzie)
Attendance: 25,000

10 hours ago, skygod said:

From the obituary to Charlie Gallagher on the Celtic Star website:

"A couple of weeks after his time in the first team he was in the dressing room at Kilmarnock before a Reserve game one Friday night (Reserve games were often played then and attracted reasonably large crowds) when someone came in with the news that someone had shot the President of the United States.

At half time the story was that he was now dead, and at full time, after the Reserves had lost 4-2, the story was confirmed that John F Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. It was an event that took over everything, and the following day there was an impressive tribute paid to the President in a minute’s silence. Celtic then went on to win 5-0 over Kilmarnock in one of their best performances of the season."

Can any veteran on here say that they heard of the assassination of Kennedy while at the match? Or was at the first-team match?

Celtic: Fallon; Young, Gemmell; Clark, McNeill, Kennedy; Johnstone, Murdoch, Chalmers, Divers, Hughes.
Scorers: Divers (8), Hughes 3 (43, 60, 85), Johnstone (86)

Kilmarnock:Forsyth; King, Watson; O'Connor, McGrory, Beattie; Brown, McInally, McFadzean, Sneddon, McIlroy

Referee: J Wallace (Lenzie)
Attendance: 25,000

3 minutes ago, jasper said:

I was at the réserve match and when the shocked announcer revealed that JFK had been shot, a clown at the back of the East terracing shouted " Wan Pape down and eleven to go." I have never heard anything so vile from a Killie fan.

When is your avatar picture from......20 years ago?? Gid nick for your age fella! 

I don't know if anyone has read the book "Manchester United Ruined My Life" by Colin Schindler - but it opens with a Kilmarnock/Kennedys crossover story, of which there can't be too many.  The author is a Man City fan (from their likeable pre-2008 incarnation), and writes a book about growing up supporting the city's 2nd most successful club. 

He describes being woken up in 1968 with the news that someone had assassinated Bobby Kennedy, presidential candidate and brother of JFK - and sleepily assumed that they were talking about Bobby Kennedy, Man City wing back signed from us 7 years previously.  From then on the player is referred to as "The Real Bobby Kennedy" for the rest of the book.

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

I don't know if anyone has read the book "Manchester United Ruined My Life" by Colin Schindler - but it opens with a Kilmarnock/Kennedys crossover story, of which there can't be too many.  The author is a Man City fan (from their likeable pre-2008 incarnation), and writes a book about growing up supporting the city's 2nd most successful club. 

He describes being woken up in 1968 with the news that someone had assassinated Bobby Kennedy, presidential candidate and brother of JFK - and sleepily assumed that they were talking about Bobby Kennedy, Man City wing back signed from us 7 years previously.  From then on the player is referred to as "The Real Bobby Kennedy" for the rest of the book.

Bobby Kennedy signing for Man City.

kennedy.jpg

8 hours ago, jasper said:

I was at the réserve match and when the shocked announcer revealed that JFK had been shot, a clown at the back of the East terracing shouted " Wan Pape down and eleven to go." I have never heard anything so vile from a Killie fan.

Slight off-topic, but relevant to your post... Sadly a Killie fan holds this position for me too. 

Before the stadium was built, I was standing at the side-line of what is now the East Stand at a game v Motherwell,shortly after Tommy Coyne's wife had just died. As he ran over to pick up a ball that had gone out of play right in front of me, someone behind me shouted "How's the wife, Tommy"? 

Even as a young lad this made my blood run cold. How he ignored that is beyond me - there's zero doubt he heard him as it was at such close quarters. 

30ish years later, it's still the sickest/harshest thing I've heard at a game.

Edited by jesper

8 hours ago, jasper said:

Yes looking at the picture reminds me of someone from many years ago whose nickname was Jasper. Are you any chance John Paton from Galston.

4 minutes ago, jesper said:

Slight off-topic, but relevant to your post... Sadly a Killie fan holds this position for me too. 

Before the stadium was built, I was standing at the side-line of what is now the East Stand at a game v Motherwell,shortly after Tommy Coyne's wife had just died. As he ran over to pick up a ball that had gone out of play right in front of me, someone behind me shouted "How's the wife, Tommy"? 

Even as a young lad this made my blood run cold. How he ignored that is beyond me - there's zero doubt he heard him as it was at such close quarters. 

Vile 

26 minutes ago, jesper said:

Regular occurrence for footballers, on and off the pitch.

we talk a lot about being treated like second class citizens. Until a significant portion of us act like humans, the treatment will continue.

2 hours ago, killiefife said:

Yes looking at the picture reminds me of someone from many years ago whose nickname was Jasper. Are you any chance John Paton from Galston.

No, I don't have that honour. I chose Jasper as a pseudo because it was Durant's nickname and I thought he was great.