What are you listening to?

killiefan27

49 minutes ago, caltonkid said:

Saw them live twice, phenomenal musicians 

Seen them twice at Oran Mor in recent years and was fortunate to catch them the week before last down in the big smoke. You are so right - phenomenal musicians who draw from an incredibly varied southern blues, roots and country soul palette. Different every time. On this occasion we got more of the rockier bluesy Allmans sounding material. Luther Dickinson can’t half play a Gibson and a Fender - amazing guitarist - and his bro Cody is an incredible multi-instrumentalist. 

2 hours ago, caltonkid said:

City and Colour new album - A Pill for Loneliness and latest Opeth album In Canda Venenum, saw Opeth on Thursday in Glasgow and they were in excellent form, going to see City and Colour in Berlin next year

Only got into Opeth recently very much impressed. Can anyone suggest what the best Clutch album to buy. Have heard a number of tracks in the Solid Rock and enjoyed.

6 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

Only got into Opeth recently very much impressed. Can anyone suggest what the best Clutch album to buy. Have heard a number of tracks in the Solid Rock and enjoyed.

There is so much that is wonderful in Clutch's back catalogue. Their last two albums are stonkers - Psychic Warfare and Book of Bade Decisions. First track of PW will blow your ficken socks off. 

20 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

Seen them twice at Oran Mor in recent years and was fortunate to catch them the week before last down in the big smoke. You are so right - phenomenal musicians who draw from an incredibly varied southern blues, roots and country soul palette. Different every time. On this occasion we got more of the rockier bluesy Allmans sounding material. Luther Dickinson can’t half play a Gibson and a Fender - amazing guitarist - and his bro Cody is an incredible multi-instrumentalist. 

Probably the same Oran Mor gigs that I was at, discovered Luther Dickinson during his tenure with the Black Crowes 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:47 AM, harley said:

MFSL Blonde On Blonde is fantastic. Beaten to be the 1st double rock album ever by a couple of months by The Mothers Of Invention’s Freak Out. I also have the 2013 Blood On The Tracks but I can’t believe how much better the 1 step version is. 

Bought MFSL Highway 61 yesterday. 

This thread has cost me over £200!

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Bought MFSL Highway 61 yesterday. 

This thread has cost me over £200!

Highway 61 MFSL is outstanding. When one of my mates argues with me that CDs sound better I stick on Desolation Row from the MFSL. The acoustic guitar on that track is so sweet on the vinyl and that is even when compared to the DCC CD which is probably the best CD version. Vinyl blows away the CD.

4 hours ago, fraz65 said:

My local record shop also has Bringing it all Back Home and Another Side but I already have an original mono of the former so not going to invest at the moment. 

Got them both and I've also just finished listening to the 14CD Rolling Thunder Revue box.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, harley said:

Bob Dylan -Blood On The Tracks, Mobile Fidelity One Step process. Pressed as a double LP which play at 45 RPM. I nearly didn't buy this as it's bloody expensive but finally pulled the trigger on it. I thought it was defective as I kept hearing clicks but it was only Dylans pick hitting the top of his acoustic guitar. Unbelievable. Yes it's a lot of money but I just can't stop playing it.

I've been revisiting and enjoying this recently. Stripped down versions - only accompaniment is bass on some tracks - which shows off the power of the writing and Dylan's own playing.

Six CD version available!

More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series Vol. 14

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I've been revisiting and enjoying this recently. Stripped down versions - only accompaniment is bass on some tracks - which shows off the power the writing and Dylan's own playing.

Six CD version available!

More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series Vol. 14

Yip, it’s great hearing the paired down tracks. I have the vinyl but the 6CD set is on my shopping list.

23 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Some great interviews with REM on YouTube, regarding the 25th anniversary of Monster. 

It's still my favourite post-1990 REM album.

Just out of interest fraz- what's your favourite pre-1990 REM album?

Fables Of The Reconstruction has always been my favourite REM album (Wendell Gee always brings a tear to my eye) although Reckoning runs it close.

23 hours ago, skygod said:

One of my mates goes every year -  he raves about it.

I will get to the festival eventually. Rory Gallacher doesn't get the praise he deserves. Unfortunately I have never seen the man in concert but have all his studio albums and the Live Irish tour album. Very underrated in my opinion.