Eamonn Brophy is away with the fairies, and tales of other former players (Split from League Cup last 16 draw)

1 hour ago, piffer said:

If he’s in that much pain and thinks they are wrong then he has to speak to the manager or senior members of the squad. If it’s that big an issue for you then there are other options. I appreciate there can be difficulties going against the clubs medical department but nobody knows your body better than you.

Its his career. He has a duty to himself to look after his body to allow him to be the best player he can be. As I said elsewhere we have seen loads of of players careers cut short because they didn’t do what was best for them and payed the price for damage they didn’t need to inflict. If he felt that strongly about it at the time he had to do something.

The club medical dept may well have been in the wrong but Brophy is not the victims he’s portraying himself as

I presume he reported it to the manager. Why wouldn’t he. I’ve stated the information I have and when I obtained it which verifies everything the Brophy said to the press. Zorro seems to have other sources unless he is making things up.

Not the first time our football club has misdiagnosed an injury.  It happens to other clubs as well. The fact that Killie didn’t send a player for a scan that would have diagnosed the persistent problem is the biggest issue for me. If Brophy wanted to bad mouth the club he’d have done it months ago. He is simply stating the background to his injury which required an operation. 

11 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

I presume he reported it to the manager. Why wouldn’t he. I’ve stated the information I have and when I obtained it which verifies everything the Brophy said to the press. Zorro seems to have other sources unless he is making things up.

Not the first time our football club has misdiagnosed an injury.  It happens to other clubs as well. The fact that Killie didn’t send a player for a scan that would have diagnosed the persistent problem is the biggest issue for me. If Brophy wanted to bad mouth the club he’d have done it months ago. He is simply stating the background to his injury which required an operation. 

Or its probably just the case of Brophy trying to justify his poor form. Always over rated as a striker , a legend in his own mind. Brophy's injury history is clear for all to see. He will not be the 15 goal a season striker Jim Goodwin thinks he was getting.

Evening Times Article. This corresponds with the info I was given about how Killie dealt with the injury and didn’t send him for a scan. 

PHYSIOS couldn’t believe he could continue playing, that is just how serious an injury with which Eamonn Brophy arrived at St Mirren.

The striker, who made his move to Paisley permanent in the summer, was taking painkillers daily as he battled the pain of a broken foot to keep playing.

The injury, which ruled him out for most of the season after joining the Buddies on loan was initially missed during his time at Kilmarnock before being identified by St Mirren staff.

Recalling the injury nightmare, which limited him to just eight appearances in the stripes last season, Brophy said: “I broke my foot back in June at Kilmarnock and the physio there thought it was something else so I was playing with that for six months. It definitely affected my performances.

I was taking painkillers every day to get through training and games.

"When I came here it was only a matter of weeks before I knew it wasn't quite right and the physio here has been brilliant and picked it up straight away.

"He never really knew how I could continue with a fractured foot.

“It was an injury I tried to put to the back of my head. I never knew it was broken or I wouldn't have continued to play.

“When I found out it happened I was just happy it was going to get fixed, because I knew I wasn't myself. I knew I wasn't 100 percent fit.”

Such was the impact of the injury, Brophy can recall to the very training session it happened. And the striker, yet to score in a competitive fixture for the Buddies, reckons it came right as he was in the best condition of his career.

“I can remember the training session when it happened”, he said. “It was frustrating when I found out six months later it could've been dealt with right in the middle of pre-season.

“These things happen and it is done now but it was massively frustrating.

“Last season was probably the worst season I've had for a number of years.

“It's made me certainly more hungry to try and get back to the way I was a couple of years ago and be better than that hopefully.

I’m not a young kid any more. I’m 25. This is an important season for me and one of the biggest in my career.”

The nasty injury kept Brophy side-lined and ended any hopes he could represent Scotland at the Euros, but the one-time Scotland cap is determined to earn a return to international football.

He added: “I didn't give myself a chance to be in the squad so there wasn't a sense of frustration at missing out.

“I was very proud I was able to play a part in a couple of years ago but like everybody else in the country I was just wanting them to do well.

“Of course I want to get back but that is a bit away just now.”

The press article that Zorro cherry picked from. 

St Mirren’s injury concerns show no sign of abating as Eamonn Brophy looks set to sit out the rest of the season.

The Buddies striker has unknowingly been playing with a fractured foot, with a scan this week revealing the extent of the injury.

He now looks unlikely to feature again before May, with the club also waiting nervously on the results of key midfielder Jamie McGrath’s shoulder scan.

Manager Jim Goodwin said: “Brophy’s had a consistent pain for a number of weeks now. I don’t know if it’s the hard surfaces and chopping and changing between astro and grass.

He was in the plans to face Celtic, but he went for a scan and the results weren’t great. He’s got a slight stress fracture.

“It just shows what a strong minded player he is as he’s been playing through it. I think it showed to be honest as he wasn’t firing on all cylinders, but he was trying to play with a fractured foot.

This article is after the Celtic game. I think Goodwin means he was in the plans for the Celtic game already as he played 62 minutes and they sent him for the scan after that. This adds up with the info I had as they sent him for an operation after the Celtic game. 

From St Mirren Forum

On 2/12/2021 at 6:52 PM,  Mid Calder Saintsaid: 

If Brophy came to us with a foot fracture surely to goodness he underwent a medical some questions to answer here surely

Depends on what procedures are carried out during a medical. Also, stress fractures tend not to be painful in their infancy, so Brophy might not even have known he had it, as they can go unnoticed until the fracture reaches a critical point.

Stress fractures are quite difficult spot on an X-Ray. Some of them only really become obvious on an X-Ray when the injury begins to heal.

Diagnosing a Foot Stress Fracture (sports-health.com)

Having said that, with a three year contract and a significant financial outlay, you would expect an MRI to be carried out, which has a better (but not definite) chance of picking it up.

If I'm in the kind of pain that requires me to medicate every single day, I'm doing something about it.
If I relay this info to my club, and they don't handle it to my satisfaction, I'm taking action on my own.
Ignoring it is not being "strong minded", it's being dumb af!

He's a grown ass man and should have known better, we are all ultimately responsible for our actions (or lack thereof).

“I never knew it was broken or I wouldn't have continued to play.” - Eamon Brophy 

Plays two games for St Mirren after their scan identified a stress fracture. Even his version of events doesn’t tie in with the findings of the scan. He states he knows the exact training session that the injury happened. He describes it as a break rather than a stress fracture. This suggests an impact or other form of trauma which caused a break completely through the bone. That’s not what a stress fracture is. A stress fracture only effects the surface of the outer bone layer. Stress fractures are a result of excess load on bone occurring during activity. Loading, repetitive movements over an extended time period are significant factors in a stress fracture They are thin hairline cracks. And given the timeframe and management of his injury, it’s safe to say it was a mild to moderate non-displaced stress fracture. It is even possible the change in training regimes caused his injury. The guy and MarkyMark’s sources are full of s**t. 

21 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

From St Mirren Forum

On 2/12/2021 at 6:52 PM,  Mid Calder Saintsaid: 

If Brophy came to us with a foot fracture surely to goodness he underwent a medical some questions to answer here surely

Depends on what procedures are carried out during a medical. Also, stress fractures tend not to be painful in their infancy, so Brophy might not even have known he had it, as they can go unnoticed until the fracture reaches a critical point.

Stress fractures are quite difficult spot on an X-Ray. Some of them only really become obvious on an X-Ray when the injury begins to heal.

Diagnosing a Foot Stress Fracture (sports-health.com)

Having said that, with a three year contract and a significant financial outlay, you would expect an MRI to be carried out, which has a better (but not definite) chance of picking it up.

It gets better and better- Brophy was taking painkillers for an injury he might not even have known he had because it was still in its infancy six months after he claimed he did it. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

Evening Times Article. This corresponds with the info I was given about how Killie dealt with the injury and didn’t send him for a scan. 

PHYSIOS couldn’t believe he could continue playing, that is just how serious an injury with which Eamonn Brophy arrived at St Mirren.

The striker, who made his move to Paisley permanent in the summer, was taking painkillers daily as he battled the pain of a broken foot to keep playing.

The injury, which ruled him out for most of the season after joining the Buddies on loan was initially missed during his time at Kilmarnock before being identified by St Mirren staff.

Recalling the injury nightmare, which limited him to just eight appearances in the stripes last season, Brophy said: “I broke my foot back in June at Kilmarnock and the physio there thought it was something else so I was playing with that for six months. It definitely affected my performances.

I was taking painkillers every day to get through training and games.

"When I came here it was only a matter of weeks before I knew it wasn't quite right and the physio here has been brilliant and picked it up straight away.

"He never really knew how I could continue with a fractured foot.

“It was an injury I tried to put to the back of my head. I never knew it was broken or I wouldn't have continued to play.

“When I found out it happened I was just happy it was going to get fixed, because I knew I wasn't myself. I knew I wasn't 100 percent fit.”

Such was the impact of the injury, Brophy can recall to the very training session it happened. And the striker, yet to score in a competitive fixture for the Buddies, reckons it came right as he was in the best condition of his career.

“I can remember the training session when it happened”, he said. “It was frustrating when I found out six months later it could've been dealt with right in the middle of pre-season.

“These things happen and it is done now but it was massively frustrating.

“Last season was probably the worst season I've had for a number of years.

“It's made me certainly more hungry to try and get back to the way I was a couple of years ago and be better than that hopefully.

I’m not a young kid any more. I’m 25. This is an important season for me and one of the biggest in my career.”

The nasty injury kept Brophy side-lined and ended any hopes he could represent Scotland at the Euros, but the one-time Scotland cap is determined to earn a return to international football.

He added: “I didn't give myself a chance to be in the squad so there wasn't a sense of frustration at missing out.

“I was very proud I was able to play a part in a couple of years ago but like everybody else in the country I was just wanting them to do well.

“Of course I want to get back but that is a bit away just now.”

“ was in the best condition of his career “ is another hard to believe comment especially under Dyers regime . 
Not when you scored a career high 12 goals under SC ? 
There’s more than a whiff of bullsh1t about Brophys version of events IMO . 

Brophy played for St Mirren against Celtic on 30 Jan and Hibs on 2 Feb. The press article with quotes from Goodwin is on 12 Feb. Between 2nd and 12 he had a scan the issue was diagnosed and he had an operation to address the problem. 

He knew he had an issue whilst at Killie but according to the press article the club physio didn’t come to the conclusion that he could have a broken bone and I know that the club didn’t send him for a scan. The article says that the club physio said he had another injury rather than a broken bone. 

Folk can question his contribution last year but the fact that he had a broken bone in his foot that the club didn’t pick up wouldn’t have helped. If this had been picked up in June 2020 he would have been fit to contribute more. 

Edited by MarkyMark

Does anyone remember some kind of drop-off with Brophy?  My recollection is that he was the same player before his allegedly crippling injury (so crippling he sought out no independent medical advice) - not without talent but with (being charitable) poor decision making and no vision.  He's always been a fairly pedestrian player that (outside of being a truly excellent penalty taker) has always been more of a "nuisance value" forward than a threat from open play.

Christ that Brophy story has a fair amount of holes in it. 

Personally I’m not buying the fact he supposedly had a fractured foot but wasn’t allowed to go for a scan…..it doesn’t make any sense. I’m pretty sure his agent would have been all over that ensuring we looked bad to engineer a “big move” away much easier. 

If you’re Brophy and not getting sent for a scan…you’re booking in yourself surely. 

Ps, One of the most overrated players in modern Scottish fitba, said it when he was still here and nothing has altered my view since. 

Having watched ST Mirren vs Partick on yougtube , Brobhy has not changed, Falling over trying to win freekicks is still his go to Tactic not to mention a shot with his left foot that looks like it landed in Ferguslie park.

I watched Power and he was missing tackles and chasing through balls. Still love the guy , But we needed a more all round Midfield player this season. So far it looks like this Midfield could provide more creativity and goals , Than Dicker and Power.

1 hour ago, Bigdaw said:

I watched Power and he was missing tackles and chasing through balls. Still love the guy , But we needed a more all round Midfield player this season. So far it looks like this Midfield could provide more creativity and goals , Than Dicker and Power.

Not fussed by Brophy but still a bit gutted that Power chose St Mirren over us.