Championship - How's it going to go?

kfc_superteam

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I think Dodds will do well as manager. He’s got a load of experience as number two and I think he’ll make the step up quite comfortably. However, I certainly wouldn’t be building a defence on Broadfoot. He’s passed his best now. 

23 minutes ago, Fletch said:

After one of the defeats in the league cup Dodds said in his post-match that he's not had a chance to think about his back 4 yet. Don't think their fans are happy with him at all. To me they're one of the sides who stood out as looking a bit of a mess considering the decent season they had.

Interested to see how Dodds does. His suggestions for what teams needed to do as a pundit always made me worried about getting him as a boss. Have a suspicion he might be an assistant at best. But has plenty experience, so who knows. 

We look solid defensively but that won’t be enough. Most teams we play, especially at RP, will sit deep and be happy walking away with a point.  
Still think we need a couple of players who can help break down those sort of teams if we are to win the league. 

4 hours ago, McDeeBop said:

Can anyone explain why they think Hamilton, who were worse than us last season, are likely to finish higher this? Is it the more recent experience of being in this division (8 years ago, I think?)? The slightly less squad overhaul (a squad which was worse than ours!)?

Have they recruited better?

Rice wont see past christmas.

Just now, CardinalSpin said:

I think we have shown signs of a good team, but we desperately need strikers. Dunfermline will be the team to beat this season I think.

God help us if we finish below Dunfermline, inverness  , or Hamilton no excuses straight back up as Champions nothing less will do.

We have the best and strongest squad that’s why we are favourites.We should win it with something to spare.If we don’t and are in the play offs that will be classed as a failure.All the big clubs are in the SPL and we are the big club in the championship with the biggest budget.I have every faith we will be top at end of season  

1 hour ago, Malkmus said:

I'm completely underwhelmed with what I've seen so far, we look a very slow average side. Here's hoping we get those attacking signings in quick as we're lacking pace and movement when it gets to the midfield. 

I think you’ll see that we will have some pace down the wings. Murray looks a decent find. 

Promotion one way or another is a must this season , can argue about if those “keeping the same the budget “ promises have been kept this summer 

but dread to think of the severe financial implications of a second year out of the top league would be …..on playing budget and otherwise 

the championship is a lower standard than some previous seasons but a lot of teams will still be hard to beat

With improvements in defence , some decent options out wide ,  IF we can bring in that quality striker or 2 and find the right balance in midfield then am hopeful we should finish top 

1 hour ago, Malkmus said:

I'm completely underwhelmed with what I've seen so far, we look a very slow average side. Here's hoping we get those attacking signings in quick as we're lacking pace and movement when it gets to the midfield. 

What a ridiculous comment to make. We have a brand new team with the exception of only one or two. Most are tried and tested at this level and we should be very competitive to say the least. However, never in the history of football do you put 11 men together in a team and they are instantly the finished article. There are positive early signs, my prediction is, we will not break any records at the start of the season but will get better. The trick is to be on the summit at the end. No one should expect instant miracles.

I think a lot is going to rest on whoever we get in up front. Disappointed we've not strengthened there by now but on the past 2 games I think once we click/gel whatever we should be capable of promotion at first attempt. I don't see what some folk havr seen in Dunfermline and Inverness that makes them clearly better than us. I'd wager these folk have seen nothing of them actually and are just guessing. 

We won't romp this league by any manner of means and I'm quite sure we're struggle at times but I'm confident we can do it.

PS..im dreading the Ayr games. They'll be my least looked forward to games of the season. The thought of losing to them makes me ill

1 hour ago, Comeonkillie said:

What a ridiculous comment to make……never in the history of football do you put 11 men together in a team and they are instantly the finished article. There are positive early signs, my prediction is, we will not break any records at the start of the season but will get better. The trick is to be on the summit at the end. No one should expect instant miracles.

I’m assuming you haven’t seen Escape to Victory then?

The way I see it, if we get off to a good start from the first game, this will build confidence in the players and will help build team bonding for a new team and the crowd. (We are unbeaten so far in friendlies and cup matches).

As the momentum continues we start to approach all games expecting to win like SSC year and a bit. 
A winning mentality is hard to beat as much as the losing mentality we had last season. It could be the difference in settling for a draw and pushing for a winner or holding out for a draw and hoping not to lose.

The fortunate position we are in are all players want to be here and part of them coming as they will see it as they want to be fighting out for the title at May next year as apposed to last year’s squad who couldn’t get out of here quickly enough when the writing was on the wall.

the squad looks to be a good mixture of solid pros with some potential game changers also. Yes we are a bit light up top but with the window still with around a month to go I expect 1 or 2 in those positions by then.

Onwards and upwards winning more games than previous years is definitely going to be good. Fighting for title rather than relegation is got to be better feeling.

Winning the title at Scummerset now that would be the icing on the cake especially if it relegated them….

3 hours ago, PaulMcQ said:

Patience and encouragement is key.  Some in the East were already starting to turn on the players (vs Morton).  I’m not convinced they wouldn’t have been boo’d off had we not scored.

Yes, we all need to grow up a bit. Going at it hung ho isn’t what it’s about any more. The game has changed, patience and possession is what it’s about. I hope we all remember that on Monday. 1-0 will do me. 

One aspect which I don’t think has been mentioned is the standard of officials.

They are bad enough in the Premiership so what are they going to be like in the Championship?

A few good up and coming ones, mixed with those who are short of the top standard?

I can’t say I’ve followed the Championship much but I imagine we will have to endure and enjoy a few outrageous decisions for and against.

We can only hope that they balance out.

Loving the ITK migration to talking up random Dunfermline players they've barely heard of. 

Ultimately none of us know, we look in good shape, we're winning the f**king derby with all the ST holders in attendance, and the rest able to watch for free on the telly. Things going OK IMO.