The Ange experiment at Celtic

The situation at Celtic, from the outside, is mental. 

Lennon leaves in February. The board stick all their eggs in the Howe basket so have Kennedy in interim charge. Howe tells them to bolt after months and months of leading them a merry dance (I heard because they were unable to secure the backroom staff he asked for, but who knows)

They then end up with some fourth choice appointment who they claim they had been tracking for ages, but really comes completely out of the blue. 

If this guy, or really anyone, had been appointed in February, he would have imprinted his own style on the side by now, he would have experienced games against all the teams in the league, had a taste of Ross County away etc, maybe blooded one or two of his signings. 

On paper the guy has a good pedigree but no experience whatsoever of British football or European. Celtic are not in a position where they can experiment with someone who's on a learning curve. He needed to come in straight away and be battling Rangers.

Rangers were smart giving a good young manager time to learn in a season or two where they could and then backed him to the hilt in the season they had to win.

I'm not sure the road to go down is signing guys from Japan and Israel etc. Turnbull is a good example of the type of player they want to be signing.

They are now out of the Champions League and clearly needing to strengthen in 3 or 4 key positions, but I cant see the board backing him. 

Of course we are in a position where we dont have to endure the Old Firm's presence as much this season, but I still love to see one of them suffer.  

I reckon they will finish outside the top 2, further behind Rangers than they were last season. 

They had a lot of possession but didn't have a finisher. At one point the pass completion stats were Hearts 17, Celtic  121. Hearts were being overrun in midfield until they brought on Haring and he settled them down. Seems ironic that they are struggling to get a decent goalkeeper and Gordon stopped them from grabbing anything from the game.

Celtic have been a car crash for over 2 years.  Rogers jumoed before it all unfolded.

Their recruitment has been horrific in terms of preferring some random no msrk foreign players than good quakity Scottish players.

Theu became astonishingly arrogant amd has an utterly misolaced confidence that no matter what diddy they picked, it was enough to win the league.

Deserve everything thats going to come their way.

I like the guy. He brings a different perspective to things and he’s got a bit of character. Speaking to friends in Oz they spoke highly of him and said his brand is entertaining. Their biggest doubt was he was managing against fairly evenly matched sides whil in Scotland the majority of the league will sit in against them. 

I don’t see him lasting long at the moment. If they don’t back him I can see him walking by September. Their squad needs a major rebuild. Arguably their two best players have no interest in being there with Edouard making no secret of it. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but in a Celtic top last night.

The biggest similarity with Alessio is his board is unwilling to back him in the transfer market. Blatantly obvious they need a right back and another centre back.

They haven’t replaced brown. McGinn was the perfect player to do so and they wouldn’t pay the cash, now he’s worth over £30 million.
They should get Edouard punted and bring someone else in.

I don’t remember the Scottish press putting pressure on Gerrard when SC and BR kept wiping the floor with him? He was given a reasonable amount of time by the media even when the staunch mob were wanting rid after his first season.

Again, white and British. 

3 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

The biggest similarity with Alessio is his board is unwilling to back him in the transfer market. Blatantly obvious they need a right back and another centre back.

They haven’t replaced brown. McGinn was the perfect player to do so and they wouldn’t pay the cash, now he’s worth over £30 million.
They should get Edouard punted and bring someone else in.

I don’t remember the Scottish press putting pressure on Gerrard when SC and BR kept wiping the floor with him? He was given a reasonable amount of time by the media even when the staunch mob were wanting rid after his first season.

Again, white and British. 

Gerrard for want of a better word pandered to the media and they love that. Ange put them in their box on day one and they don’t like that. Last night again with his “ask me the same question over and over then I’ll keep giving you the same answer”. Our media don’t like being shown as the amateurs they are

I find his interview style quite annoying, and I'm enjoying his outbursts. He's being asked fairly standard questions and bristling at them already. If he can't handle questions about whether crashing out the CL in July is a catastrophe, he's really going to hate the questions following their thumping v Rangers at the end of the month. 

Think he's going to be good value for some proper heads gone moments this season. 

2 hours ago, Dillinger said:

I find his interview style quite annoying, and I'm enjoying his outbursts. He's being asked fairly standard questions and bristling at them already. If he can't handle questions about whether crashing out the CL in July is a catastrophe, he's really going to hate the questions following their thumping v Rangers at the end of the month. 

Think he's going to be good value for some proper heads gone moments this season. 

One interviewer last night accused him of repeating himself, tbh I found it quite provocative and could never imagine that being said to a Walter Smith or Neil Lennon type. 
Thought his answer was brilliant - "you keep asking me the same questions, you'll get the same answers" 

2 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Is this a “heads gone” or putting a stupid journalist in his place type interview?

42 minutes ago, Fudger said:

One interviewer last night accused him of repeating himself, tbh I found it quite provocative and could never imagine that being said to a Walter Smith or Neil Lennon type. 
Thought his answer was brilliant - "you keep asking me the same questions, you'll get the same answers" 

They don’t like it when it comes back at them. Was the same a his first press conference when he was asked about being second choice and he hit back saying they were assuming he was second choice he could have been further down the list than that

Had to laugh when the Sky Sports interviewer asked him if it's just going to take more time, and he said he disagreed- that they played well tonight and should have won. 

About 3 or 4 questions later, his answer was that they have new faces in, it'll take training sessions to embed his ideas, and that these things take time. 

Having just said exactly what he denied when the interviewer put it to him, it was hard to take anything from the interview but that he likes an argument. 

I'm just glad he isn't from the "aw yeah look" school of Australian interviewees.

Interesting point from Twitter that he was the worst appointment the board could've made as he's a likeable guy that fans quickly take to.

So when the brown stuff hits the fan, it will be  the board & not the manager who are first in the firing line 

28 minutes ago, Trumpetree said:

I'm just glad he isn't from the "aw yeah look" school of Australian interviewees.

Interesting point from Twitter that he was the worst appointment the board could've made as he's a likeable guy that fans quickly take to.

So when the brown stuff hits the fan, it will be  the board & not the manager who are first in the firing line 

Board are in the firing line just know!there’s a shift at work that’s all Celtic and they say the manager is a stop gap and will be replaced in a few months 

1 minute ago, Trumpetree said:

Yeah but compare the situation to another foreign manager appointed at short notice, barely backed in the transfer  window who suffers an embarrassing Euro exit in his first games and loses his first league game to a late goal to a bunch of Huns....

If we backed Alessio we wouldn’t be playing championship football this season.

4 hours ago, Guff92 said:

If we backed Alessio we wouldn’t be playing championship football this season.

If we hadn’t employed Alessio, we wouldn’t have had to pay him off and would still be in the Premiership, if not Europe.

BB thought that he would go all continental and conquer Europe. 

Edited by skygod