Excited... Worried ? Where will we Finish?

Allan

3 minutes ago, Zorro said:

We scored 43 league goals last season. Only Rangers (92), Celtic (78) and Hibs (48) scored more. Claiming our defence crumbled because we couldn’t score is utterly bizarre. It’s more accurate to say our forwards were under pressure to score as our defence and keeper(s) were s**t. 

I think Lafferty's contribution skewed those stats at the end. Match after match we never looked like having a shot never mind scoring. Aberdeen home and away, Dundee Utd away, Hibs home and away, Livi when we let two in at the end which might well be the best example of what I'm talking about.

In rhyming off those ugly memories I haven't even mentioned either of the bigots.

You could argue that we had to field so many players who were meant to defend because of the deficiencies you mention but my thinking is that the failure to threaten started the defensive rot.

Either way all parts of the team were dire and relegation was the inevitable result.

I think we'll stutter a few times, and given the amount of goals about yesterday can see us being labelled a 'boring, boring Killie' side becasue we are solid rather than silky.

We should be top 3 without too much trouble though given the calibre of our squad, hoping to push for the title with a couple of games left.

I'd say our target has to be to win outright - the play-offs are a lot of games at that stage of the season for any team trying to get up.

I'd expect us to be chasing Dunfermline for a bit though until we get our goalscoring sorted out.

Also....there are a LOT of ex-Killie in this league looking to prove points - so we had better get used to being patient in games, particularly at home.

Edited by dasboag

25 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

I think Lafferty's contribution skewed those stats at the end. Match after match we never looked like having a shot never mind scoring. Aberdeen home and away, Dundee Utd away, Hibs home and away, Livi when we let two in at the end which might well be the best example of what I'm talking about.

In rhyming off those ugly memories I haven't even mentioned either of the bigots.

You could argue that we had to field so many players who were meant to defend because of the deficiencies you mention but my thinking is that the failure to threaten started the defensive rot.

Either way all parts of the team were dire and relegation was the inevitable result.

So St Mirren’s stats weren’t skewed by McGraths 10 goals? Hamilton’s weren’t Skewed by Callaghan scoring 9? Cole’s 11 for Motherwell didn’t skew their goals for column? Only Lafferty’s 8 for us had that effect? 

Points thrown away from a winning position by the defence against St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross county, Livi. St Johnstone failed to score in considerably more games than us and had a great season.  54 goals conceded (iirc only Hamilton and Ross county were worse) and we're blaming  the strikers for our problems. 

Ps I missed Livi also scored one more than us. I apologise. So that makes us 5th highest scorers. 

It's about opinions and we've gone some way off the original question.

My contention is simply if you don't threaten a team you put yourself under pressure at the back. With our current forwards this may happen this season too.

England's losses from winning positions in the last two tournaments are other examples of what I mean.

You have to do enough to worry the opposition or you're handing them the initiative. This applies both within a natch and over tge corse if a season.

I accept that in this division the consequences mightn't be quite so dire?

Then again would failure to get promoted be as bad as last season's relegation?

To go back to the original post my feeling is that with a good striker we should be capable of winning the league with the current squad it's a play off place and not necessarily 2nd place.

4 hours ago, Lorielus said:

Based on the organisation shown by the club so far this season, I predict we'll be leading the league but blow it by simply forgetting there's a match on entirely at least once, forgetting to take our kit to Inverness, and our team bus somehow ending up on the ferry to Arran while trying to get to Hamilton.

Quality 

We will be top 3 at least and get some scary results along the way..once we get our proven striker in we will maybe score a few more goals...not worried about our season we will be good in both cups and might make a semi-final..the first Derby will be a Killie win...4/4 for the season...

27 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

It's about opinions and we've gone some way off the original question.

My contention is simply if you don't threaten a team you put yourself under pressure at the back. With our current forwards this may happen this season too.

England's losses from winning positions in the last two tournaments are other examples of what I mean.

You have to do enough to worry the opposition or you're handing them the initiative. This applies both within a natch and over tge corse if a season.

I accept that in this division the consequences mightn't be quite so dire?

Then again would failure to get promoted be as bad as last season's relegation?

To go back to the original post my feeling is that with a good striker we should be capable of winning the league with the current squad it's a play off place and not necessarily 2nd place.

This would be a perfectly valid opinion to hold if we weren’t scoring and didn’t take the initiative in games. However we scored more than the majority of the teams in the league (including some top six sides) and took the lead and went on to drop points far too often.

We were sunk last season because we leaked too many goals. Watching our strikers was like watching someone trying to bail out a boat using a bucket with no bottom on it. It didn’t matter how much they did, it was never going to be enough. TW has prioritised patching up the hull so far less water comes in. Now our strikers have a fighting chance of winning us games. 

And we will have a new striker. I have no doubt about it. They’ll score more than Lafferty did too. 

Too much uncertainty right now. Dont have a clue what level you need to be for this league. Dont have a clue about any of our squad apart from Burke. So I have no idea how they will perform under pressure. They certainly didnt look too clever against Stranrar but its not fair to judge on one gane. 

its gonna be weird going into every game as overwhelmy favourites to skelp everyone,

will the players be able to handle this pressure, will the fans be able to handle this favourites tag without putting pressure on team do this more times than not we'll win league, getting proven striker will ease this.

still think we'll win league

8 minutes ago, trenwick said:

its gonna be weird going into every game as overwhelmy favourites to skelp everyone,

Are we really overwhelmingly favourites to hammer everyone though?  While I'd imagine we've got the biggest budget (this season at least), it's not going to anywhere close to the disparity that Hearts or Dundee United enjoyed.  We've also consistently struggled to get results for years against Hamilton and Livingston, two teams with siginificantly smaller budgets than us, namely as they seem to have a knack of getting the most for their buck.  It'll likely be a couple of months before we have an inkling of how well we've spent versus the other front runners.  We've also got the wildcard effect of Ayr, where the derby makes it a bit of a lottery as they'll be absolutely relishing the prospect of getting four attempts at keeping us down with them.

I'm cautiously optimistic, especially if we can learn to vary our play a bit more than we've seen to date, but I'm not expecting us to destroy the league.

Horrendous watching Sportscene without us being included and watching so called smaller clubs like Ross County, St Midden and   St Johnstone play.

will be criminal if we don’t get promoted this year..... I expect less than 15 points between bottom and upper top clubs at the end of the year.

this is going to be one crazy year......dreading it!

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

This would be a perfectly valid opinion to hold if we weren’t scoring and didn’t take the initiative in games. However we scored more than the majority of the teams in the league (including some top six sides) and took the lead and went on to drop points far too often.

We were sunk last season because we leaked too many goals. Watching our strikers was like watching someone trying to bail out a boat using a bucket with no bottom on it. It didn’t matter how much they did, it was never going to be enough. TW has prioritised patching up the hull so far less water comes in. Now our strikers have a fighting chance of winning us games. 

And we will have a new striker. I have no doubt about it. They’ll score more than Lafferty did too. 

I agree with all of your posts and assessments of our team this season and share your opinion that we will finish as champions especially as TW &JF have addressed our obvious defensive frailties from last season which will give us a stronger base to win most of the games especially if we are not conceding goals so easily  and I also believe the striker situation will be resolved soon  so let's remain quietly optimistic that we will be celebrating come May!

Watched every second so far. We will struggle to win the league with the current striking options and the current standard of final ball. A good striker that can stay fit would get us half way there, a vast improvement on the final ball especially from Armstrong on right and Haunstrup on the over lap on left might get us the other half but those two really need to get good balls in.

I think we’ll finish in a play off spot. Then who knows what will happen.

I don’t think anyone will run away with it like Hearts did last year unless we pull someone like Greg Stewart out the bag.

It’s going to be a long grind of a season, but hopefully an enjoyable 1. A close title fight with 2 or 3 others with us winning it on the last day (which is unfortunately an away game) would be great

I’m

2 hours ago, Bbk said:

....TW &JF have addressed our obvious defensive frailties from last season....

So far the defence hasn’t been seriously tested.

Such confidence night be justified or it might be misplaced. We won’t really know until we play someone who puts under serious pressure.

We overwhelming dominated possession in the League Cup ties but still managed to concede in three of them. Some of the other defending wasn’t that clever either.

As others have said, if we could create and covert more chances the defending would become less critical.

Hard to say where we will finish until we’ve played a few matches.  

Edited by skygod

I think we need to forget about last season and move on. If we are 2nd or 3rd by Christmas, I think we will win the league.

There will be surprise results over the course of the season not just for Killie. But it's a 36 game league and it's over that number of games the league will be decided. We should have enough quality to win the title.