Ayr Utd Match Fred

C4mmy31

Enjoyed that, though I was a bit tetchy at 1-0, just waiting for the inevitable mistake at the back we've become used to over the past 2 seasons. Pleasantly surprised it never came and the 2 cbs and keeper looked solid.  

Euan Murray won every header I think but there wasn't anyone that dropped below a 7/10 tonight, even Haunstrup. Hopefully this gives big Innes confidence, at least he was on the end of things tonight and looked more like the big physical centre forward we might need at times. Can't say anymore about Burkie, just outstanding.

Great start, totally dominant, hopefully RP becomes a bit of a fortress this season.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Lots to like about this Killie team already. Back four and keeper look a massive trade up on last season’s shambles. 

Ewan Murray looks like he could be an absolute steal. And I seriously doubt if there will be a better player in the Championship than Chris Burke. 

Central attacking balance isn’t quite right yet. Need someone central to get closer to Cameron if he’s to succeed up front - and undoubtedly need more competition up there to start to turn this possession in to goals. 

Chris Burke will be the runaway championship player of the season.

Thought we added bit more variety to our play in second half which helped to open up the game more.

As with the cup games , many home or even away games this season will see opponents sit deep against us for long periods so vital we have different ways to open up the opposition as well as contributing goals from all areas 

Not the finished product yet but enough positive signs to show things are improving and vital we build up that momentum 

Perfect welcome back into the stadium. 

I was really encouraged overall. 

Murray and Stokes look an ideal partnership. You can see the jump in quality from Championship players to McGinn, Naismith and Polworth. 

I thought Cameron had a really good game. Hold up play was excellent and was a handful for the defenders. Still think we need more, and would like to see him against better sides, but bit more hopeful there's more a player there than I thought. 

Big thing for me - this is a team that's still coming together. Was given a seat in row B, and the number of apologies from player to player stood out - they are still getting used to where each other are going to be on the pitch and gelling. 

Easy to forget we've got Robinson and McKenzie to come back too. 

Desperate to see the team against tougher opposition to get a better idea. 

Feeling confident in a goalkeeper is a strange and unfamiliar feeling. 

Back in the hoose. Totally buzzing - night and day compared to last season. What struck me most was the fight, the determination, the teamwork. So many standouts - E.Murray what an attitude, aggression and no nonsense defending to get to the ball first in the air and on the deck and clear his lines. One moment in the second half summed it up for me. In going for a header he let out a huge roar which terrified the s**te out of the A*r players and won the ball. Burkey - what can you say that hasn't been said already. Big Innes - great commitment, hold up play and touch. Polwarth looks a clever player. No weaknesses and the team is still developing as a team. So much to look forward to.

A special mention to the Ayr goalie who put in the best/worst time-wasting performance since Czerny. Ref bottled it, should have been booked. Nice to know their inferiority complex will have increased after that doing. 

4 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Don't agree with this at all. He was the surprise for me tonight. I had low expectations for him, but he put in a lot of unselfish work, got into the box and chased down a couple of lost causes. Looks an intelligent footballer to me. 

Agreed I thought he played well, especially in the second half. I had a pretty crap view right down the front of the Frank Beattie right enough so maybe didn’t notice the things he didn’t do defensively but I’ve liked him so far. His willingness to try and get forward makes such a big difference to the team.

I remain unconvinced about Cameron. That miss from 6 yards was easier to score. 

No doubt tonight's performance was an improvement, delighted he scored, and hope it continues!

Burkey magic as ever. The number 3 tackled it out for a throw in about 75 minutes in and it was the first I remembered him getting it off him!

29 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Don't agree with this at all. He was the surprise for me tonight. I had low expectations for him, but he put in a lot of unselfish work, got into the box and chased down a couple of lost causes. Looks an intelligent footballer to me. 

23 minutes ago, killie89 said:

Agreed I thought he played well, especially in the second half. I had a pretty crap view right down the front of the Frank Beattie right enough so maybe didn’t notice the things he didn’t do defensively but I’ve liked him so far. His willingness to try and get forward makes such a big difference to the team.

I also had a seat really close to the pitch so will defer those with a better view. 

No doubt at all he's a tidy player, its the legs that worry me. 

I thought he wasnt across the pitch as quick as someone fitter would be on a few occasions. There were also a few breakaway where I thought he slowed us down, and someone like Lyons would have burst on. 

Think Alston definitely has a role to play and Wrights trust in him is good enough for me. Just wonder whether he's the man to be starting games in that position. 

Edited by mitch14

Excellent team performance tonight every player showed desire and commitment and that will do for me. 

This is a team still trying to gel and will only get stronger. Fitting Robinson, Mckenzie and another forward into the mix means competition for places will be fierce, that in itself is a positive. 

Felt good leaving RP tonight it's been a long time since I can say that. 

4 minutes ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

A lot is often said about our poor record at Somerset but can someone tell me when they last won at Rugby Park?

The game that springs to mind is the contoversial Louis Thow Ayrshire Cup Final in, I think 1987, but was there any others between then and our promotion to the Prem?

Rab Connor scored and they beat us 1-0 in a league cup game in the 90s?

No idea about the 2 dates you mention tho

Edited by All the Wine

4 minutes ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

A lot is often said about our poor record at Somerset but can someone tell me when they last won at Rugby Park?

The game that springs to mind is the contoversial Louis Thow Ayrshire Cup Final in, I think 1987, but was there any others between then and our promotion to the Prem?

Was it not Roger scoring in the league Cup after he was let go? 

50 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

Would also add that the atmosphere was excellent and I’d happily have empty seats beside me and everyone spread out over 4 stands for every game. I think it helps rather than everyone crammed into certain parts of the stands.

Said the same. Thought it looked decent and the atmosphere seemed improved by it. 

Burke was outstanding but we we're a little predictable first half. Think that's why Murray was relatively quiet. 

Mixed it up in the second half and got our rewards

Keeper had an exceptional game though not really tested. 

Haunstrup first half looked like the weak link again, but a totally different player in the second half. 

Cameron, I am just willing to be successful. Plays with his heart on his sleeve and listening to him after the match he seems very down to earth, and a Killie fan to boot.