Tommy Wright

rm0199

9 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Left without saying a word on social media Power found it very strange as even diddies like Kabamba and that did posts. Power was a cult hero and few time player of the year.

Thought that myself at the time. 

One that decided to run while the ship was being rebuilt.

As a club to begin with we stuck by him when he was as fit as Mark Yardley. He repaid us with performing after that. 

But the way he left imo was very poor and I am quite pleased that our current midfield as a whole, is better than last years. 

53 minutes ago, historyman said:

You can’t blame Power for taking a two year contract at his age. 
We offered him a one year deal and he left for what he saw was a better offer. I’m not aware of any bad feelings on either side. Maybe he’s not into the social media stuff. He always gave his all on the park and that’s what mattered to me. 

As far as I know we didn't offer him anything - he was still under contract for another year.  We agreed to release him, I assume freeing up the salary and allowing him to leave was seen as mutually beneficial by Wright.

59 minutes ago, historyman said:

You can’t blame Power for taking a two year contract at his age. 
We offered him a one year deal and he left for what he saw was a better offer. I’m not aware of any bad feelings on either side. Maybe he’s not into the social media stuff. He always gave his all on the park and that’s what mattered to me. 

Did he not have one year left on a two year contract ? He was not offered a one year one.

St Mirren were a better team than us last season and are an even better team this season going by reports.Power went to a better team because he was one of our best players not because he was hopeless or past it.Seems that any one who leaves Killie is hopeless and should have been hunted years ago.Fact is our best players have found clubs in the league above that happens in football.

Players and staff got us into this mess on last season’s performances. The fact some were so quick to jump ship says it all about them. If players don’t want to be here then f**k them. Barca president in his media stuff after the Messi departure “nothing is more important than the club”. That’ll do for me with Killie. Players come and go. Rats jump ship but the club is still here

14 minutes ago, piffer said:

Players and staff got us into this mess on last season’s performances. The fact some were so quick to jump ship says it all about them. If players don’t want to be here then f**k them. Barca president in his media stuff after the Messi departure “nothing is more important than the club”. That’ll do for me with Killie. Players come and go. Rats jump ship but the club is still here

“Rats jump ship” ? It’s a job. Maybe like the rest of us he was doing what was best for him and his family. 

Midfielders who don’t score, can’t pick an incisive pass, but do run about and tackle a bit are two a penny. He put in a shift while he was here, so for that I thank him. Will he make St Mirren a better team or push them higher up the table, I doubt it. Did I lose any sleep over him leaving, not a wink. 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Midfielders who don’t score, can’t pick an incisive pass, but do run about and tackle a bit are two a penny. 

Effective ones aren't though. When I chatted to fans of other clubs they always picked him out as a player they'd like in comparison to their own ineffective options. Hearts have just had to spend a wad of cash for that sort of player after umpteen failed attempts. 

I was a huge fan of Power. Would have been happy to keep him but the miles on the clock are showing more so agree that not the worst to lose all things considered. But I can't help but feel like defending him a bit in terms of his time with us overall. 

3 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Effective ones aren't though. When I chatted to fans of other clubs they always picked him out as a player they'd like in comparison to their own ineffective options. Hearts have just had to spend a wad of cash for that sort of player after umpteen failed attempts. 

I was a huge fan of Power. Would have been happy to keep him but the miles on the clock are showing more so agree that not the worst to lose all things considered. But I can't help but feel like defending him a bit in terms of his time with us overall. 

If people we’re having a go at Power’s overall contribution during his spell with us, I’d agree wholeheartedly, but they’re not. People are saying he isn’t the player he was. So when you say he was effective, I’d ask by what measure? Was he effective in keeping us in the premier? Did he provide effective protection to our back four? He was a key player for us for about eighteen months, but that was more than eighteen months ago. How fans from other teams viewed him is no different to how pundits viewed Broadfoot - it’s lazy shorthand for he’s one of the players we know. Broadfoot wasn’t the rock our defence was built on and Power had ceased to be as effective. 

Tommy Wright is delighted with how well his squad have bonded since coming back from pre-season.

The Kilmarnock boss is working with pretty much a whole new squad and says he's chuffed with how they have adapted.

He knows how crucial it'll be if his side are to get back to the Scottish Premiership at first time of asking.

And beating bitter rivals Ayr United was the perfect start to what could be a special season at Rugby Park.

Speaking exclusively to the Kilmarnock Standard he said: “There has been a feel good about the place, results like that gives you a lift.

“Winning football matches obviously gives you a lift, but it’s not a huge improvement in terms of the mood was already really high, the squad has been buzzing since we came back from pre-season.

"Everyone knows the job they need to do, they work extremely hard and get on well together.

“I go back to the trip to Northern Ireland, it was vitally important we did that and the group has bonded brilliantly and they work together well.

“It makes my job easier, wherever I’ve worked I have always tried to create an atmosphere where players want to come in and enjoy training but work hard.

“We have got one aim and that’s to win as many games as possible."

He added: “If you look at the games we’ve played during pre-season and the cup games, we played extremely well.

“We controlled games and for the majority of them, including Monday night, we have dominated teams.

“I think you would expect us to do that, but there has been a lot of fluency in our play.

“There has been a lot of good partnerships developed all over the pitch, and I am happy with how it’s progressing."

Killie head to Dumfries today to take on Queen of the South, and Wright knows the Palmerston side will be no mugs.

He said: “I think it’ll be the same thing I’m saying every week, no one gives you anything in this league, you’ve got to earn it.

“We need to go there and match their endeavour, match their work-rate and hope that our quality can shine through."

Killie will be without Rory McKenzie and Tomas Brindley for the trip, as Scott Robinson is in contention to make his first start.

Lochlin Highet, (Kilmarnock Standard).

27 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If people we’re having a go at Power’s overall contribution during his spell with us, I’d agree wholeheartedly

Yeah, that's all I meant. We're on the same page on that 

There's a wider discussion about last season in that there's a case to be made that he (and others) wasn't properly supported in terms of the massive deficiencies in the team overall - which exposed everyone's flaws. And I suspect thats the view Goodwin has taken. 

But I do agree he was just on the wane regardless. This season will give us an indication of to what extent. 

On Tommy Wright so far he is doing what I hoped he would this season. I always said and thought his record at St Johnstone over such a long period and constant rebuilds was not by chance. For some reason (and will hopefully be our gain) he is not fancied by other owners hence why St Johnstone had him for so long. He said when he was appointed he knows the players that will do well in Scotland and he has made some very shrewd signings if unspectacular. 

I think last season the team was just a bad blend. Not necessarily in terms of ability, possibly attitude, not team players, players getting old. There was certainly an issue there and Tommy wasn't able to heal it. Maybe just that too many people liked Dyer and didn't take to Tommy. Ultimately Dyer and James Fowler's woeful recruitment of goalkeepers was a deciding factor. Had Tommy Wright had a transfer window we'd have been fine. 

Anyway I hope he'll be with us for a good few years to come. Quietly confident he will do well. Hopefully if we do keep doing well we can fend off any interest from other spfl teams who may part with their manager. 

On Power not too disappointed he left. He had been a great servant but having watched every game last season he was poor. Getting caught on the ball, stupid tackles, being off the pace. Maybe just the team he was in but (I'm not just saying this) I thought he was done. 

4 hours ago, Bbk said:

Definitely think he is a manager in the same mould as SSC the way he commands respect and treats the players like adults and looks like he has instilled a togetherness amongst them no apparent  cliques  .

Brad Lyons seems to think so to.....

Brad Lyons admits it was a no-brainer to join Kilmarnock and link-up with fellow Northern Irishman Tommy Wright.

The 24-year-old midfielder admits he had a number of options in the summer, but as soon as he got the call from Killie it was his only destination.

And he says the Rugby Park boss was a huge factor in his decision to move to Ayrshire.

Speaking to the Kilmarnock Standard he said: “I can’t complain, from the start it has been brilliant.

“I was glad to join Kilmarnock, it is a massive club and since I’ve started training has been bang at it, and all the boys are great as is everyone’s attitude.

“Now we are into the games it has been a brilliant feeling, we are all just glad to get started.

“It was a no-brainer to join to be fair, when the season ended I met with some clubs, but once Kilmarnock and the gaffer came calling I was instantly interested.

“I have always liked the Scottish league, I always watch it on TV.

“I know how big a club Kilmarnock is, and I was glad to get it over the line."

On Wright he said: “I’ve never had any dealings with him directly before, but because of my Irish league connections and because he’s from back home I knew a lot about him.

“My brother is a big Irish league fan, so he knew all about him and how he works.

“Obviously he’s a big name so it wasn’t hard to find out stuff about him, but everyone had only good words to speak about him.

“From my first meeting with him I knew straight away how passionate he was about football and that his will to win is great, I’m glad to be on board."

Lyons added: “I think his experience with St Johnstone helps massively, it’s about winning and doing it each week.

“But also you look at what he did for St Johnstone, his development of players was incredible and he turned players into great players.

“That was massive for me, because I’m still at the start of my career so I am learning every day with the players here."

Lyons admits seeing fans back in Rugby Park for the Ayrshire Derby was an incredible experience, and he hopes his side can continue to impress supporters.

He said: “It was great to win, but to get to play in front of fans and see the passion they have was something else.

“The amount of noise they made just pushes you on even more.

“Football is nothing without fans in my opinion, so it was great to see and hopefully in the weeks to come there’s more and more coming and we can keep them happy."

Locky Highet.

5 hours ago, Bbk said:

Definitely think he is a manager in the same mould as SSC the way he commands respect and treats the players like adults and looks like he has instilled a togetherness amongst them no apparent  cliques  .

A few of the players have commented on his honesty being a major factor in his management, something that was said about Clarke. Clearly Clarke is on another level from Tommy Wright tactically but both men strike me as those you’d fear but also run across hot coals for.