Tommy Wright

rm0199

Whilst not taking anything away from Sir Steve, he only did it with us for less than two seasons. 3rd place and a record points total.. Phenomenal but he left when his stock was high. Could he have rebuilt a team... Is the question. He never really brought in any players or ones who made a difference. Stewart and Bachmann apart, mulumbu. Maybe a better coach than a recruiter. 

Tommy has on the whole a better track record. Won a cup, umptine trips to Europe and top six finishes. Calumn Davidson's achievement in one season outdid what Sir Steve did. Motherwell have managed third before. 

My point is that Tommy flies under the radar. Possibly the relegation will have detracted a bit for his reputation. When Steve walked into the club, the feeling was he was too good for us and When's he leaving. 

31 minutes ago, spicybarbecue said:
31 minutes ago, spicybarbecue said:

If he gets us promoted would he be considered one of our best ever manager or does the fact he was in charge when we went down count against him?

Personally I don't count the relegation against him so I would rate him as one of the best if we get peremoted

Nowhere near one of our best managers if he gets us promoted thats the very least we expect .Would change my tune though if he won a cup while getting us promoted 

You said Steve never really brought in any players - that was why he was so bloody good! He turned average players into good ones for us during his spell.

I personally don't really count the relegation against Tommy - I firmly believe we would have stayed up had he come in 2 months earlier. Saying that it really bugged me he continued with the likes of Dicker over Mulumbu.

Edited by AyrshireCocard

5 minutes ago, spicybarbecue said:

Actually it was a genuine question. I was interested on peoples opinion on it. Looks like I'm in the minority on this one. But hey ho sometimes I'm wrong 

Let’s wait snd see how he does.

There’s no point in speculating where he will be assessed before he has had a chance to do anything at the club.

The time to do that is when he has left. 

1 hour ago, spicybarbecue said:

If he gets us promoted would he be considered one of our best ever manager or does the fact he was in charge when we went down count against him?

Personally I don't count the relegation against him so I would rate him as one of the best if we get peremoted

Our greatest ever manager was Mr Waddel. Our best manager in my time was Tommy Burns. Then there are the cup winning managers, Mixu and Steve Clarke. 

I have no idea where Tommy Wright might fit in to that list. 

The thing is given our budget, history, support etc. promotion this season is only par for the course this season.

I'm not saying that with a sense of entitlement it's simply we're the big club in this league.

In those circumstances I'm not sure that you could put TW amongst the great Killie managers. Like others I wouldn't blame him for relegation but he didn't make the absolute best of what he inherited. It was a poisonous dressing room and a certain poor and old squad!

So, assuming we do go back up, getting us established in mid table and doing well in the cups with a club structure that brings young talent through would be what would be required to bring TW toward the top table of Killie managers.

I’m surprised people wouldn’t rate promotion as one of our greatest accomplishments, when they’ve been saying for weeks how difficult it would be to achieve. Personally I’d describe anything other than promotion as failure, so that’s the yardstick I’ll be measuring TW against. Once he’s got us back in the premier, I’ll judge him against our other great managers. He gets a pass on relegation as far as I’m concerned because Pep with Klopp as his assistant would’ve struggled to get a performance out of that squad. 

2 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

Could he have rebuilt a team... Is the question. He never really brought in any players or ones who made a difference. Stewart and Bachmann apart, mulumbu. Maybe a better coach than a recruiter. 

Cant believe what I'm reading here. He never really brought in players, bar arguably our best goalkeeper ever, Mulumbu who in his first spell would walk in to an all time Killie XI, and Greg Stewart who was on fire for us. Apart from that, what did the Romans do for us?

As someone else said, it also speaks to what a great coach he is that he didnt have to bring in bus loads of players. 

Some crazy talk here. TW has achieved nothing with us apart from relegation. Fact. It’s not a great Killie cv so far. Folk say he cant have that against him. He had more than enough games to save us if he could have had the initial “bounce”. The board gave him access to the best goal scorer the club has had since Boyd in his pomp. He needs to take some of the responsibility for our demise. Not a fraction that Dyer and Bowie should take. But he was caught up in it.

Some cautiously optimistic signs this year. Some good signings. Comes across well. And he undoubtedly has a decent track record in Scottish football. Not managed a English premiership team to record finish, not been assistant to the special one or zola or dalglish. But some reasons to believe he can turn it around after a poor start. We have beaten some lower league teams in the cup and started well in the second tier of Scottish football.

I like him and think he is the right man to take us out of the league. But it would take promotion, cups and European football  to get him into the conversation as even fondly remembered far less a great killie manager.

You can only beat what’s in front of you.

If Wright wins the league the achievement will be rightly acknowledged. Just as it will be if Burke breaks an assist record, Cameron finishes top scorer or Hemming has an absurd amount of clean sheets.

We want to be a top flight club but we have to accept we are a championship side at the moment and fight for whatever prizes come with it and rightly enjoy them if they come

4 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

Whilst not taking anything away from Sir Steve, he only did it with us for less than two seasons. 3rd place and a record points total.. Phenomenal but he left when his stock was high. Could he have rebuilt a team... Is the question. He never really brought in any players or ones who made a difference. Stewart and Bachmann apart, mulumbu. Maybe a better coach than a recruiter. 

Tommy has on the whole a better track record. Won a cup, umptine trips to Europe and top six finishes. Calumn Davidson's achievement in one season outdid what Sir Steve did. Motherwell have managed third before. 

My point is that Tommy flies under the radar. Possibly the relegation will have detracted a bit for his reputation. When Steve walked into the club, the feeling was he was too good for us and When's he leaving. 

Davidson has been outstanding and deserves all the praise he gets. May wait along time until we see a non old firm side win the cup double. He will be rightly acknowledged as a great manager by st j fans.

But this does not diminish the achievement of scc for me. We were bottom when he took over. We had had a serious of duds with no strong foundations on the playing side (despite a late rally with mculloch signings). St j had relative stability under TW and were a regular top 6 club. Stronger foundations.

Under scc we lost only one game to a bottom 6 club (livi). We regularly beat the top sides. The level of consistency we had under clarke has only been rivalled by aberdeen (excluding old firm) in recent years. It was a truly outstanding period in our history. And clarke is a true great killie manager.

I am not questioning Sir Steve's record with us. Far from it. Only points I am making is that he was with us for not a long time and he didn't really sign players. What he did with the players we had was remarkable. Maybe he knew that was all he could get out of them. When he left the squad needed a rebuild or new players brought in to replace Jones /Taylor / Stewart. We'll never know if he could rebuild a team or sustain it for a few years. He might well have done. 

Tommy Wright never quite had a league season at St Johnstone like we did with Sir Steve but he won a cup and had multiple trips in Europe. He is a consistent high performer. Steve Clarke hasn't managed a club for more than 2 two seasons so we don't know what he can do long term. I understand why he left but am disappointed if I'm honest he didn't stay longer. Could we have done even better? Could we have made the europa league group stage, done a St Johnstone winning two cups? 

Edited by kfc_superteam

2 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

Really? See above.

"Our greatest ever manager was Mr Waddel. Our best manager in my time was Tommy Burns. Then there are the cup winning managers, Mixu and Steve Clarke. 

I have no idea where Tommy Wright might fit in to that list"

If you can’t see mixu and Clarke aren’t bracketed with the cup winning managers I suggest glasses 

8 hours ago, Dillinger said:

Cant believe what I'm reading here. He never really brought in players, bar arguably our best goalkeeper ever, Mulumbu who in his first spell would walk in to an all time Killie XI, and Greg Stewart who was on fire for us. Apart from that, what did the Romans do for us?

As someone else said, it also speaks to what a great coach he is that he didnt have to bring in bus loads of players. 

He signed some dross as well. Bright Enobakhare. Ndjoli. Jack Byrne. Then guys like McAleny and Tish that did ok but hardly set the heather on fire.

He actually signed a fair few. 11 in his full season in charge. 5 the season before after he came in. 

23 minutes ago, SlimStripey said:

He signed some dross as well. Bright Enobakhare. Ndjoli. Jack Byrne. Then guys like McAleny and Tish that did ok but hardly set the heather on fire.

He actually signed a fair few. 11 in his full season in charge. 5 the season before after he came in. 

Jack Byrne never settled due to family issues back home in Ireland.

Enobakhare? A legend in his own mind. Serious attitude problem. Now plying his trade in India.

McAleny was a bit part player used off the bench.

Tish? Would play a great game followed by 9 mediocre or worse games. Be surprised if he sees the season out in Turkey. 

Though there is some positive signs and as fans we want to enjoy our football again 

But We are only 2 league games into this important season ….long way to go before can make any kind of legitimate comparison or rate TW as a Kilmarnock manager 

He has certainly been backed by the board and totally rebuilt the squad (which was badly needed) in a short period of time , can see few tougher periods to come this season but the one aim for TW is promotion one way or another in one season