Atmosphere

Mclean07

re the original post, I commented on the night that having everybody spaced out really helped the atmosphere - the singing reverberated around the whole stadium and it felt as if there was a much larger crowd. Might be worth a real think about how this could be replicated/facilitated on a more long term basis.

23 minutes ago, garye said:

re the original post, I commented on the night that having everybody spaced out really helped the atmosphere - the singing reverberated around the whole stadium and it felt as if there was a much larger crowd. Might be worth a real think about how this could be replicated/facilitated on a more long term basis.

100% but everyone will revert to type sadly. It’s a tough one to sell, especially when the weather is pish but what a difference it made to the atmosphere. 

22 minutes ago, garye said:

No thanks, buy my season ticket along with my mates and it’s a social thing catching up with them every other Saturday, don’t fancy sitting in different parts of the stadium from them like Monday.

Mondays atmosphere was down to spacing, people being excited @ being back in ground, derby game, 

with that aside why would i exchange my seat almost at the halfway line to one top corner of stand behind goal just cause it looks good on tv & might generate an athmosphere, i thot the safe standing areas where designed to create atmosphere so if these are partly used thus deflates noise

4 minutes ago, trenwick said:

Mondays atmosphere was down to spacing, people being excited @ being back in ground, derby game, 

with that aside why would i exchange my seat almost at the halfway line to one top corner of stand behind goal just cause it looks good on tv & might generate an athmosphere, i thot the safe standing areas where designed to create atmosphere so if these are partly used thus deflates noise

It is tricky, but we could maybe make some adjustments. The Moffat stand reconfiguration will help, and we should bring the away funds further down in the Chadwick. 

I think this was partially driven by a lot of the East Stand fans being relocated to the Chadwick.  A fair bit of the singing and chanting originated from the Chadwick on Monday. The atmosphere at Rugby Park could be improved without spending any money, simply make season-tickets for the East unallocated and after a while the singers would know where to congregate. This always happened when the East was terracing, even if you arrived late you would squeeze through to get to where the singers stood. Whether this is practical today with so many "ma seaters" is debatable, although expanding the standing area could have the desired effect. 

Surely the other thing we could look to do (when back to normality) is increase the number of people who regularly attend? I don't have any ideas or answers that haven't been debated and put forward on here previously but rather than space our crowd out to create an atmosphere, what can we do to fill more of the seats and achieve the same result?

4 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

If you can’t see that black bastard, the most common form of abuse of black people  is problematic, I can’t help you. The rest of your post is whataboutary. If it’s the Richard Gough chant I’m thinking of, then yes I think that would be unacceptable. There are endless songs you can sing that are funny and enjoyable, without resorting to using a racial slur. But for the sake of changing one word you want to take the risk of grossly offensive a black player, supporter or steward. Unbelievable. Don’t ever criticise the old firm. 

I was at an Arniston Rangers v East Kilbride Thistle Junior Cup game many years ago and 3 black gentlemen stood behind us an idiot in front of us called the referee a black b*****d knowing full well that they were standing behind. I managed to calm the lads down and told the guy who made the comment what I thought of him. I know it was common at the time to call referees black b******s but this guy knew exactly what he was doing.

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

How are the standing areas going? There seemed to be a consensus that this would improve the atmosphere, but I done feel they are as popular as we expected them to be. 

The one in the East is too far to one side, you can barely hear the standing section if you sit towards the left side of the East stand. Needs to be more central and bigger. The one in the Moffat is barely used although that might improve with the Moffat contracting.

I watched the match back last night and thought how it used to be that fans booed when the ball went to a black opponent, just because he was black.

We've come a long way (not before time), and the song in question isn't even racist in intent.

Common sense and decency should prevail.

Edited by skygod

38 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

If you can’t see that black bastard, the most common form of abuse of black people  is problematic, I can’t help you. The rest of your post is whataboutary. If it’s the Richard Gough chant I’m thinking of, then yes I think that would be unacceptable. There are endless songs you can sing that are funny and enjoyable, without resorting to using a racial slur. But for the sake of changing one word you want to take the risk of grossly offensive a black player, supporter or steward. Unbelievable. Don’t ever criticise the old firm. 

Completely agree with you. 

Hopefully this helps give yourself some perspective when you were pushing the anti English racism agenda when the tartan army were singing about hating England. 

28 minutes ago, Eastcoast Killie said:

Surely the other thing we could look to do (when back to normality) is increase the number of people who regularly attend? I don't have any ideas or answers that haven't been debated and put forward on here previously but rather than space our crowd out to create an atmosphere, what can we do to fill more of the seats and achieve the same result?

I have suggested many times to CJ herself, howabout Killie being the first club to publicly push a discounted entry rate of maybe £15 for Emergency Service workers.  Surely they (the club) could contact Blue Light Card and arrange something.  Even £20 entry for adult + 1 child with a BLC that way would be able to introduce kids to become fans which would lead to season ticket sales in the future along with shop purchases/programmes/food at half time etc.  

Like most I enjoyed the atmosphere the other night, but the only way we can replicate it long term is by growing our support and getting more fans in the ground. Can’t expect people to put up with getting moved about for every game. 

It helped having a good number of fans in every stand, but that was only achieved by moving supporters to areas of the ground where they would have a crap view. My ST is near the back of the East but I was punted down the front of the Frank Beattie the other night near the corner flag. There were times I could barely make out what was going on up the other end.

I’m not complaining and was grateful to be there but I can’t say I’d be thrilled if it became a regular thing. Maybe I’m being selfish but I’d like to get back to the East Stand ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Completely agree with you. 

Hopefully this helps give yourself some perspective when you were pushing the anti English racism agenda when the tartan army were singing about hating England. 

England is the national equivalent of the two Glasgow horrors & deserve to be vilified at every opportunity. 

2 hours ago, ElectroLeviathan said:

In hindsight, the whole stadium should have made the most of the circumstances and united in a stirring rendition of “Can you hear the A*r sing?”

I did think about starting "What a sh**ey away support" and a personal favourite from when George Burely was A*r manager, "Davie Hopkins, Davie Hopkins, what a difference you have made"

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

The one in the East is too far to one side, you can barely hear the standing section if you sit towards the left side of the East stand. Needs to be more central and bigger. The one in the Moffat is barely used although that might improve with the Moffat contracting.

Agree with your comments but I think if placed centrally(East) it may have caused an issue with line of sight for some. In fairness the standing areas were hardly used before Covid kicked in, or it seems that way. I moved to the East one and enjoyed it, but it felt like we were only in there a handful of times before the ground was closed to fans.

I think once we get back to normal will be the time to judge.

6 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

How are the standing areas going? There seemed to be a consensus that this would improve the atmosphere, but I done feel they are as popular as we expected them to be. 

6 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Considering there was no fans in the grounds for a season may be a reason they havent been as popular