Queens Match Fred

CB

Think we went long too early, the long balls weren’t working. 

Was surprised Burke stayed on for so long cause he wasn’t getting past their LB. 

Burrell did well for the goal and a good finish from Naismith.

Fraser Murray who was our best player in the league cup hasn’t had much of a kick in the 2 league games. Not sure if he’d have more space playing off the striker and have Armstrong out wide. 

A welcome late winner compared to all the goals conceded last year 

Slightly putting my Queens hat on, thought result was harsh for Queens. Tactically Queens set up very well. Roy was tracking Naismith and Nditi was superb effectively stopping threat from Burke. 

Fraser Murray really needs to do a lot more down the left. No real threat today, however Willie Gibson is a very difficult right back to play against. 

However regardless of performance, Killie ground out a result and that is the type of game which is the one league winners win. 

Lot of positives again for Killie, not least were the wild celebrations from TW, bench, players and fans. We are on the right road. Win against Hamilton and ICT with another clean sheet would be a very acceptable start to the season. 

Edited by Steppskillie

I have to say I was not at the game and was out so only really checking the score when my missus went to the toilet etc…

At 80 odd mins I assumed a 0-0 and felt away from home, new team etc… that it would do. The fact we kept pushing and got a late winner is a great sign. 3 points are 3 points even if it was late on. The same in the Morton game we seem to keep probing and trying as a team this season and that’s  a massive positive after a season of the team just giving up.

It would be good however, to add another attacking option just to make sure we take as many points as we can.

Edited by Morph

32 minutes ago, skygod said:

I think it’s taken as read that everyone is pleased with the result and understands it’s significance.

But it’s reasonable to look beyond that to what is working and what isn’t.

That way we are more likely to continue to win without the need for last-minute dramas.

It's pretty obvious what isn't working and it's fair enough to point it out. I just think that being expected to play well and fluently every game is unrealistic.

As for last minute dramas I see the late goals we've been getting as a good sign. In tight games knowing we can do this and have done it before can help hoover up potentially vital extra points.

It should also keep the fans behind the team in matches like yids.

All we have to do is win.

Some words to describe todays’s game and result.

Character, togetherness, keep going ‘til the end, ugly win.

Can’t understand the moaners on Twitter, we won a game we would not have won in similar circumstances last season.

The pitch was poor against a stuffy side who barely deserved nothing to lose the game, we just seemed to want it more.

We’ll need plenty more of these during this season.

1 hour ago, All the Wine said:

You're the most negative person on here

Demanding more from the team is not negative. Being critical when winning ugly is not negative. Most importantly, being negative doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong. Boy was I negative about our performances last season.

We knew these games would happen. Every game isn't going to be a walkover. The real test is if we can get through these games with 3 points and the way everything panned out it was an excellent 3 points to get.

It's a shame we got so little out of the front 3 but Queens looked much better organised than Ayr were. Alston and Polworth at least look like they're in the mix going forward though and it's good to know that if we aren't getting much threat from the attackers that we have a bit from the midfield this season.

I know it's early days but with Hemming at the back I didn't feel at any point like we would concede and any ball that came in I just felt at ease that he would collect it no issue.

s**tey game. Too many aimless long balls, misplaced passes, too static, but QoS had a game plan including giving Burkey no space to play that nearly worked for them….but It didn’t. Brilliant to be back at an away game and on terracing AND TO WIN and that’s what matters. Some positives. Goalie looks confident, good handling, clean sheet (despite Stokes give away). Professionalism - kept going right to the end and I think that’s what TW means by the fans being patient. Only in the very last stages did the game open up as the opposition tired. The only question at that stage was would QoS hold out. Burrell looked very sharp and quick. Some issues though. Haunstrup’s positional sense was poor, his tackling weak. Stokes - good leader that he appears to be - has a mistake in him. An overall observation is that we are still work in progress to use the cliche. Players still not fully aware of each other, Robinson to come in properly and a proven striker we trust.  A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN. 

Just home time to reflect, hard fought victory was pleasing to see them keeping going right to the end. 

Today showed we are still a team trying to gel, however I do think when that happens we will be a very good side. 

Need a forward and please stop the long balls. 

Fair play we got the job done even though we didn't play great. Defensively we look sound (that mad stokes moment aside). Our goalie looks ideal. What little he has had to do he does it well. Arguably the best I've seen at cross balls in a long time. 

Need to brush up on the attack but Burrell did more on 3 mins than Cameron did in 87.

I like the way we play until the end. We may not win every game but we need to go into every game to win. Our target is promotion. To do that we need to get more points than all the other teams. Winners! 

So far this is the mentality and this comes from the manager. Still more to come but we look a very solid team. 

Its going to be a tough season but we just need to look at each game and do what we need to win. 

Realistically we could easily have won by 4 goals and there would have less negativity.

Burkes shot, which Polworth gets disallowed.

Alston shot which keeper makes a very good save.

Camerons header which should be buried

And of course a well worked goal from Naismith.

In return what did Queens create.

1 hour ago, Steppskillie said:

Slightly putting my Queens hat on, thought result was harsh for Queens. Tactically Queens set up very well. Roy was tracking Naismith and Nditi was superb effectively stopping threat from Burke. 

Fraser Murray really needs to do a lot more down the left. No real threat today, however Willie Gibson is a very difficult right back to play against. 

However regardless of performance, Killie ground out a result and that is the type of game which is the one league winners win. 

Lot of positives again for Killie, not least were the wild celebrations from TW, bench, players and fans. We are on the right road. Win against Hamilton and ICT with another clean sheet would be a very acceptable start to the season. 

Sign Willie for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, GCM said:

Realistically we could easily have won by 4 goals and there would have less negativity.

Burkes shot, which Polworth gets disallowed.

Alston shot which keeper makes a very good save.

Camerons header which should be buried

And of course a well worked goal from Naismith.

In return what did Queens create.

One shot over the bar from 20 yards. Hemming didn’t have a save to make. He was excellent and loud. 21 year old and came for everything what a difference it makes. 

The wee guy who came on for Queens must have been 18 or something made a unbelievable save from Alston shot.

Hopefully at the end of the season we will be looking back on that as a massive three points. It wasn’t pretty and will be far from our best performance of the season but we got the most important thing the win.

Patience will be the key. I felt the support getting too nervy at times today maybe also a slight sense of entitlement in some moments. You have to go out and win games they will never be handed to you and that team went 90+ minutes to get the job done. We need to go there with them. Be patient and remember that was their eighth game as a group. There were a few unsavoury shouts directed at some but quickly shut down by others in the stand.

Defensively we were sound again. Limited them to very little and another straight forward afternoon for the keeper. Really liking Euan Murray at the back. A proper honest pro. Stokes is incredibly comfortable stepping out. Didn’t use the ball as well today but only once looked in real danger.

Attacking I don’t think we offered Cameron enough help at the very top. We had Polworth and Alston picking up good positions playing off him but for the most part the three CBs were solid blocking us off. Wide players had no impact. The LB seemed to get in Burke’s head and he was off it. Gibson(I thought he was excellent) dominated Murray all day

Armstrong and Burrell made a difference with their movement. And that opened up spaces. Our group questioned the choices of sub but it did what it was meant to.

Great to see Naismith get in the box to net the winner. Felt there were opportunities to get forward that both fullbacks were reluctant to take. Haunstrup took one and caused problems with the keeper getting injured and Naismith getting beyond won the game

Was fantastic to see the who team celebrate the winner with the support behind the goals.