Coalition

Shropshire_killie

14 minutes ago, Killie71 said:

When it was also accepted that the Isle of Man was part of Scotland. 
It’s all interesting history.

It's fascinating. This forum really brings history alive. I should thank Beaker, never had much interest in school. Do you think if we asked nicely we could have the Isle of Man back?

Edited by mackpomm

3 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

It's fascinating. This forum really brings history alive. I should thank Beaker, never had much interest in school. Do you think if we asked nicely we could have the Isle of Man back?

They can keep it , got dragged to the top of the laxey wheel at 5 years old , shat it , had vertigo ever since ? 

7 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

That would certainly be one way of bringing a lot of businesses to Scotland, all mysteriously having no employees or physical premises.

12 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

They can keep it , got dragged to the top of the laxey wheel at 5 years old , shat it , had vertigo ever since ? 

Was it a voluntary tourist type excursion, albeit unpleasant or did you hold onto the wrong bit and get taken away? Just looked on Wikipedia it's a big wheel!

Either way and I don't wish to be unsympathetic, it doesn't seem sufficient reason to not enrich the (Scottish) empire?

23 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

Was it a voluntary tourist type excursion, albeit unpleasant or did you hold onto the wrong bit and get taken away? Just looked on Wikipedia it's a big wheel!

Either way and I don't wish to be unsympathetic, it doesn't seem sufficient reason to not enrich the (Scottish) empire?

It was my dad !!! 
The scars run very deep , can’t sit in the back row of the East stand . 
I am willing to forgive and forget for a sizeable tax free lump sum …and of course to help Scotland’s fiscal problems post independence. 

11 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

It was my dad !!! 
The scars run very deep , can’t sit in the back row of the East stand . 
I am willing to forgive and forget for a sizeable tax free lump sum …and of course to help Scotland’s fiscal problems post independence. 

I feel slightly jealous, I've always wanted a water wheel.....and I feel your pain but wonder if leaving your Dad alone in the back row of the east stand isn't a little extreme after all these years?

Certainly, grudges should be forgotten if they can be renumerated against. But despite your generosity of spirit I fear rates of tax post independence will be highly punitive, as if you haven't suffered enough. Still, we do what we can.

5 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

I feel slightly jealous, I've always wanted a water wheel.....and I feel your pain but wonder if leaving your Dad alone in the back row of the east stand isn't a little extreme after all these years?

Certainly, grudges should be forgotten if they can be renumerated against. But despite your generosity of spirit I fear rates of tax post independence will be highly punitive, as if you haven't suffered enough. Still, we do what we can.

My dads scattered behind the goal at the Rugby road end ( or was pre plastic) so if I want to visit him I have to buy an away team ticket . A piss poor fiscal strategy  on my dads part IMO , and before you ask ,no he wasn’t an SNP MSP. 

I rather hope  to offset the inevitable higher tax rates with the IOM’s payout and another on going case I’ve got against A*r Utd FC . After being forced to pee with 45 other folk at the same time , in their toilets at the railway road end I’ve developed paruresis . I’m hoping to be flush after that . 

1 hour ago, mackpomm said:

The Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom, it's a Crown Dependency, whatever that means.

7 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

My dads scattered behind the goal at the Rugby road end ( or was pre plastic) so if I want to visit him I have to buy an away team ticket . A piss poor fiscal strategy  on my dads part IMO , and before you ask ,no he wasn’t an SNP MSP. 

I rather hope  to offset the inevitable higher tax rates with the IOM’s payout and another on going case I’ve got against A*r Utd FC . After being forced to pee with 45 other folk at the same time , in their toilets at the railway road end I’ve developed paruresis . I’m hoping to be flush after that . 

Here, this may help. Or it may not.

....and sorry to hear about your Dad, I knew I shouldn't have tried to be such a smart arse

14 hours ago, Killie71 said:

You’d be as well discussing Yorkshire becoming independent from England/UK.

The Shetland crap is actually about against British imperialism always ideally ending in segregation and partition, from the point of view of British nationalists.  Is a short history of Northern Ireland in most of Ulster, Pakistan in India etc etc.  You might be “more wee, more poor and more stupid” than you thought you were, if British imperialism chops up your newly found independence - which it nearly always does historically.

Is important to see calls for Shetlands independence for what it is. Calls always made by dyed in wool unionists, who’d gleefully deny that right to Scotland. Is all about partition, knowing fine well the NO side will lose the next referendum badly in Scotland itself.  If this partition tactic fails, expect “its ma baw” line next, and a call for no participation, rather than partition. Is a classic unionist playbook.

Edited by RAG

14 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I can hear exactly the same stuff coming from Westminster in relation to the SNP organising a referendum. What goes around comes around.

Jesus wept you still cannot and just domt get it...

The shetlands are an area of a sovreign nation (that being Scotland).  The UK is a Union of sovreign nations one of those being Scotland.

It is international law that a nation is allowed to determine its own fate.  That is Scotland......

11 hours ago, gdevoy said:

The Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom, it's a Crown Dependency, whatever that means.

Traditionally part of the Lord of the Isles domain, the Lord of the Isles being a scottish lord, and thus part of ancient Scotland.  The PoW is the current lord of the Isles for some bizarre reason, as it was hereditary a MacDonald clan chieftan title.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Traditionally part of the Lord of the Isles domain, the Lord of the Isles being a scottish lord, and thus part of ancient Scotland.  The PoW is the current lord of the Isles for some bizarre reason, as it was hereditary a MacDonald clan chieftan title.

To be honest I am just interested to see what fundamental historical arguaments can be deployed against an independent Shetland that dont equally apply to an independent Scotlantd. So far I have seen very little.

I dont see the status of Shetland being top of the problem queue in the event of a vote for Scottish independence. First up, before the economic challenges can be addressed will be the civil unrest from the Sevco brigade. They aint gonna go quietly. Then there will be the civil unrest from the environmentalists as the new Scottish government agree to let rUK keep the nukes at Faslane in exchange fir a currency deal.

29 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

They aint gonna go quietly. Then there will be the civil unrest from the environmentalists as the new Scottish government agree to let rUK keep the nukes at Faslane in exchange fir a currency deal.

With sterling inflation and the price index increase outstripping the euro & eurozone, I'm not really sure a currency deal would be in Scotland's interest anymore anyway, especially given they don't really have a mechanism to control it at the moment as an interest rate increase would impact the ability to service institutional lending, so higher rates of inflation and price index increases are probably here for the next decade, short of a miracluous trade deal (perhaps some kind of single market...).

2 hours ago, gdevoy said:

To be honest I am just interested to see what fundamental historical arguaments can be deployed against an independent Shetland that dont equally apply to an independent Scotlantd. So far I have seen very little.

No you REFUSE to see it, as someone said earlier, independence for the Shetlands is akin to independence for the isle of white from england.

What bit of that is in anyway rekateable to Scotland leaving a political union it joined through a Treaty.

It really isnt rocket science here.

5 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

No you REFUSE to see it, as someone said earlier, independence for the Shetlands is akin to independence for the isle of white from england.

What bit of that is in anyway rekateable to Scotland leaving a political union it joined through a Treaty.

It really isnt rocket science here.

Let's try keep on topic. Who mentioned the Isle of Wight?