The Rory Conundrum (split from Rory Appreciation post)

Stefanus

Dreadful today.
As teams are aware Burke is our key player and putting 2 men on him, we need whoever is playing wide left to get involved and give a new dimension to our attacking play. 

As an experienced player from the top league, Rory needs to be taking more responsibility in his play. Simply looking ‘busy’ isn’t enough. 

44 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

Nobody ever mentions “he was part of the team that sent us down” that only applies to ex players.

The best way to describe him is “busy” and when he’s not being busy he sticks out in games like today because he can’t bring anything to the table.

Longest serving player, you expect him to step up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck, that will never happen with Rory. 

One of the first Rory posts I agree with you on.

Stupid as this might sound, I think he's better suited as a Premier league player. Aberdeen away, old firm games. Games he can as you say "be busy" annoy opponents and be a managers dream.

Games like today were crying for a Mehdi, Eremenko, Greg Stewart.

I have defended Rory in the past but he was very poor today. I know he brings stuff to the team that people don’t always appreciate, but he constantly made the wrong runs today or took up positions that made no sense to me. Absolutely no goal threat. I’m sorry, but if you’re playing in his position then it isn’t acceptable to not put a single meaningful ball into the box or have a shot on goal in 90 minutes at Championship level. We need better than this if we’re going to win this league. 

Edited by killie89

6 hours ago, Travis said:

I still maintain he’s playing out of position. There’s a perfectly capable box-to-box central midfielder in there who has a reasonable balance of creativity and dig to contribute up and down the pitch. 

Instead he’s wasted out wide where he has neither the trickery, pace nor great crossing to be truly effective. 

He’s a good club servant, honest, with a good attitude, and there’s a lot I like about him, but he is hamstrung by the idea that he’s a wide attacking player. 

He’d also add a different balance in central midfield. No idea why we continue to persist with the vain hope that he’ll become a winger at some point. 

Agreed. I'd play him in central midfield instead of Alston. 

The only issue is that we don't have a decent replacement on the left side. Fraser Murray has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he'll offer anything there. 

I think the problem with Rory is that we are starting to look back and say he was part of the 3rd place squad. True but that was 2 and a bit years ago. 

We need to look at the today and tomorrow. Based on his contribution so far over last few games I would be looking for far more. We aren't getting it so I think it's time for someone else to get a chance. 

7 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

One of the first Rory posts I agree with you on.

Stupid as this might sound, I think he's better suited as a Premier league player. Aberdeen away, old firm games. Games he can as you say "be busy" annoy opponents and be a managers dream.

Games like today were crying for a Mehdi, Eremenko, Greg Stewart.

Spot on. As a team challenging for the league, needing to attack teams sitting deep most weeks, Mckenzie should be a squad player

3 hours ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

Agreed. I'd play him in central midfield instead of Alston. 

The only issue is that we don't have a decent replacement on the left side. Fraser Murray has shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he'll offer anything there. 

Fraser Murray is a winger tho. We need to give him game time the first thing he did yesterday was run at his man and put the ball into the box.

if you really think Rory can play center midfield you need to get your head tested. He’s not smart enough to play in there he never anticipates anything pulls out of every tackle going. He cant create chances and doesn’t score goals the truth is he isn’t very good it’s that simple 

Edited by Longballexpert

No idea what he was sent on the pitch to do yesterday and while Rory probably  had his worst game in a Killie shirt the manager has to take some responsibility for that.  
For an experienced manager TW got it all wrong yesterday and Dodds made a fool of him. Our second half performance was a complete waste of time. We created nothing at all. 

I really don't care about all the red cards coming my way tbh, he genuinely offers nothing for 90% of a season, he has no impact of basically any game and seems to get defended to the hilt whenever you mention him. No he is not one of those players that does the dirty work, he wins the ball back occasionally and that is about it, burke does that more but can actually offer a threat going forward and he's 37. Sorry but if he's the standard this club will never go anywhere. 

I wanted to bring this up separately because I didn't want to derail the burke thread about how any time he has a below par game for him it's "oh he should've been subbed off" when he still managed to contribute more in the first 15 mins before he got kicked off the park than McKenzie in 90 minutes. The whole team were absolutely dogs**t yesterday but at least most of the others you could point out there contributions in other games. 

Edited by Killie lad

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Sad that people want players to fail just so they can claim one over.

More about me being right. I’ve got about -2,000 votes on the matter, that’s the sad bit.

Why would I want a Kilmarnock player to fail? Pish talk. 

Rory was one of my favourites when he broke through. But since then he has regressed. 

11 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

More about me being right. I’ve got about -2,000 votes on the matter, that’s the sad bit.

Why would I want a Kilmarnock player to fail? Pish talk. 

Rory was one of my favourites when he broke through. But since then he has regressed. 

For someone who doesn’t want him to fail your very quick on here to gloat when he has a bad game.

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

For someone who doesn’t want him to fail your very quick on here to gloat when he has a bad game.

My notifications go off the rail when he has a good game, works both way. But to suggest I want any player to fail is far off the mark. 

If Rory has genuinely had a good game or done something decent, I’ve gave him his dues. And I’ve always said he is a squad player. What you wanting? Want me to lie and say he’s brilliant and the first name on the team sheet? 

Give your head a wobble.

11 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

My notifications go off the rail when he has a good game, works both way. But to suggest I want any player to fail is far off the mark. 

If Rory has genuinely had a good game or done something decent, I’ve gave him his dues. And I’ve always said he is a squad player. What you wanting? Want me to lie and say he’s brilliant and the first name on the team sheet? 

Give your head a wobble.

Whatever 

Rory was excellent last week at Hamilton...not so good yesterday...but not the cause of our defeat. We haven't much to offer up front although I thought deapite losing the early goal played well first half...second half we were just second best...but McKenzie was far from the worst performance...I thought both full backs were at best ordinary...but apart from McGinn Burke and at a push Polworth whole team was under par

Rory was really poor yesterday, as was Burke, Alston, Haunstrup, Naismith etc etc. Both wingers should have been off around the hour mark. We still have little pace in the team and, to be perfectly honest, when we sign forwards I hope we change to two up top. Playing with one striker at home to any side in this league isn’t good enough unless that one striker is a Lafferty or suchlike. 

18 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Rory was really poor yesterday, as was Burke, Alston, Haunstrup, Naismith etc etc. Both wingers should have been off around the hour mark. We still have little pace in the team and, to be perfectly honest, when we sign forwards I hope we change to two up top. Playing with one striker at home to any side in this league isn’t good enough unless that one striker is a Lafferty or suchlike. 

Agreed

McKenzie was poor yesterday, as was Haunstrup, and one being poor makes the other worse too, as is always the case with wide players, be they midfielders or fullbacks.

However, I don't know why people keep mentioning McKenzie as a winger - he doesn't play as a winger on the left for us and never has - Murray to date hasn't played as a winger for us on that side either.  On this and other threads there's mention of him doing the wrong thing by going inside and this somehow preventing the fullback from overlapping - going inside is exactly how to create space for the fullback to overlap.  That's why on the other side at our best Naismith or Polworth moves inside of Burke when Burke going to the line, and overlap on the outside when he cuts in.

Alston was also poor yesterday, which again impacted McKenzie and Haunstrup since they had no third person in their wide triangle on that side, meaning it was usually the two of them versus three defenders - they often ended up having to try to play that triangle with Murray instead (particularly in the second half) which would only ever result in the ball being worked back the way.  In these wide triangles if one person plays badly it has a big impact - if all three play badly we get yesterday's left hand side.  They all did their defensive work soundly enough in fairness, unlike the right hand side.

While he has been a loyal and flexible player Rory only makes a worthwhile contribution once in every ten games. As a youngster he showed some attacking promise despite a lack of height but it’s rarely been seen since. I’d keep him as a squad player (especially away from home) as he’s proved to be versatile but he shouldn’t be part of the first choice eleven.