The Rory Conundrum (split from Rory Appreciation post)

Stefanus

35 minutes ago, Fudger said:

Not quite. There was a group of about 10 constant booing our player in the middle of the stand today, fair play to guys behind me calling them out and they eventually eased off. It’s embarrassing. 

I thought the booing of Haunstrup from the middle of the stand was genuinely demented today. 

I think some fans might have forgotten that it’s ok to actually enjoy a game after a few years of being perpetually raging. 

Edited by Travis

20 minutes ago, Travis said:

I thought the booing of Haunstrup from the middle of the stand was genuinely demented today. 

I think some fans might have forgotten that it’s ok to actually enjoy a game after a fe years of being perpetually raging. 

One guy kept it up and I can only think he had a form of Tourette’s or similar 

15 hours ago, rm0199 said:

I don’t think some people even wait to see how Rory plays before abusing him. Two minutes into the game today and round about me the calls were Rory was s**te etc. Poor guy could score every week and would still 

If he lined up against us , would it concern you ??

He adds nothing positive to the side. Doesn't beat a man and whip a ball in. Doesn't make telling passes. Chips in with the occasional goal ( bet his goal to game ratio is poor ) .He gives his all, I'm sorry but that's the minimum I expect from a killie player.  I don't shout abuse at him, waste of breath, but also don't get what some fans love about him. Folk on this chat and Jags game chat saying he was great against Thistle are ............. I'm not sure what they see , is the only way I can say it  without swearing 

We seem to have the same thread and debate each season for many a year now , with same arguments and opinions going back and forth….

And mine not really changed that much either, Rory has been a great servant to our club , has contributed far more than a lot of supposedly better talented players who appeared in our team for a while then disappeared …..Rory is a great athlete , who will do whatever numerous managers have asked of him and will consistently give his manager a 6 outa 10 performance week in week out ….

Against better opponents in Premiership Rory was a good player to have to give in games defensive cover in front of a the full back and provide his athleticism and non stop work rate 

However he has not improved in parts of his game he should have by this stage to take him up a level , his passing range is not the best , his goal return and assists are very poor for the role he has mostly recently been played ……..

But TW like previous managers does not yet have the trust in the other “wide”  players (apart from Burke) and atm thinks Rory can do a certain consistent role 

It’s up to other players to show when given a chance that they can improve on what Rory can offer to the team 

36 minutes ago, DG5 said:

All our previous managers and current cant be wrong. They are the experts .We all just express our opinions . 

You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Apart from Clarke all our previous managers were garbage ... but they turn into Fergie because they picked McKenzie every week.

58 minutes ago, aldo71 said:

If he lined up against us , would it concern you ??

He adds nothing positive to the side. Doesn't beat a man and whip a ball in. Doesn't make telling passes. Chips in with the occasional goal ( bet his goal to game ratio is poor ) .He gives his all, I'm sorry but that's the minimum I expect from a killie player.  I don't shout abuse at him, waste of breath, but also don't get what some fans love about him. Folk on this chat and Jags game chat saying he was great against Thistle are ............. I'm not sure what they see , is the only way I can say it  without swearing 

I understand people won’t like him - for what it’s worth, I thought he had a good game yesterday. But that isn’t really the point for me of my post. The point is, people were on his back before he had even done anything. A bit like you walking in the door of your work tomorrow and your boss being straight on your back saying you have been s**te this week! Give people a chance. Our manager clearly sees something in him and I have a bit of faith he knows what he is doing based upon what I have seen so far this season.

I thought Rory was lost for the first 20 minutes or so and dont mind saying I thought we should have been looking at hooking him as wee were getting over run in the middle of the park. 

He however slowly came into it and settled. Was excellent in the second half and had a level of aggression we needed to start controlling the game.

3 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Against better opponents in Premiership Rory was a good player to have to give in games defensive cover in front of a the full back and provide his athleticism and non stop work rate 

Which is what Clarke used him for. But we should be dominant in this league. Should be on the front foot at all times, with players that can pickba pass or go beyond somebody, not picking guys to give us defensive cover in the wide areas. 

9 hours ago, aldo71 said:

Which is what Clarke used him for. But we should be dominant in this league. Should be on the front foot at all times, with players that can pickba pass or go beyond somebody, not picking guys to give us defensive cover in the wide areas. 

I’d argue that he’s one of the few midfielders we have that does try and get beyond someone. Minute he plays a pass he’s never static. He’s a far far better player than many give him credit for and, in my humble opinion, we are a poorer side when he’s not playing. 

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

I’d argue that he’s one of the few midfielders we have that does try and get beyond someone. Minute he plays a pass he’s never static. He’s a far far better player than many give him credit for and, in my humble opinion, we are a poorer side when he’s not playing. 

We must watch a different Rory. He never anticipates flick a  on. He plays as a wide man but never stays wide when is strengths are running at people. He always comes in with his back to goal.

He plays well maybe 2 in 10 games yes he’s hard working but he’s hard working in the wrong areas. He done well driving forward for the pen on Saturday ( a strength he has ) he completely lacks game intelligence 99% of the time and the worst thing for me is his stupid bookings he gets.

I think he’s very lucky to be here I don’t think he brings enough to the table with goals and assist in my opinion.

21 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

We seem to have the same thread and debate each season for many a year now , with same arguments and opinions going back and forth….

And mine not really changed that much either, Rory has been a great servant to our club , has contributed far more than a lot of supposedly better talented players who appeared in our team for a while then disappeared …..Rory is a great athlete , who will do whatever numerous managers have asked of him and will consistently give his manager a 6 outa 10 performance week in week out ….

However he has not improved in parts of his game he should have by this stage to take him up a level , his passing range is not the best , his goal return and assists are very poor for the role he has mostly recently been played ……..

But TW like previous managers does not yet have the trust in the other “wide”  players (apart from Burke) and atm thinks Rory can do a certain consistent role 

It’s up to other players to show when given a chance that they can improve on what Rory can offer to the team 

I am like most and just expect to see more from him and am constantly disappointed. He should stand out at this level and not be questioned. 

Abusing him or Brandon or anyone else is just stupid though. You got a forum to bitch about them after. 

8 hours ago, Longballexpert said:

We must watch a different Rory. He never anticipates flick a  on. He plays as a wide man but never stays wide when is strengths are running at people. He always comes in with his back to goal.

He plays well maybe 2 in 10 games yes he’s hard working but he’s hard working in the wrong areas. He done well driving forward for the pen on Saturday ( a strength he has ) he completely lacks game intelligence 99% of the time and the worst thing for me is his stupid bookings he gets.

I think he’s very lucky to be here I don’t think he brings enough to the table with goals and assist in my opinion.

Thankfully your opinion is irrelevant and managers continually pick him.for a reason.

They were spells there where he was getting booked for stopping throw ins by punching the ball out the players hands 

He was lucky not to get booked for simulation on Saturday.

He does pick up silly bookings. 

The general consensus is he was poor in the first half and great in the second which is pretty much how I saw it.

People were probably on his back for

1) it's Rory 

and

2) Goal aside he had a shocker the week before against Morton 

They were spells there where he was getting booked for stopping throw ins by punching the ball out the players hands 

He got boooked 3 times in the league last season.

Now if only Rory had the sense to punch the ball out of MIllen's hands at THAT shy in the second play-off leg...