The Rory Conundrum (split from Rory Appreciation post)

Stefanus

10 hours ago, Longballexpert said:

We must watch a different Rory. He never anticipates flick a  on. He plays as a wide man but never stays wide when is strengths are running at people. He always comes in with his back to goal.

He plays well maybe 2 in 10 games yes he’s hard working but he’s hard working in the wrong areas. He done well driving forward for the pen on Saturday ( a strength he has ) he completely lacks game intelligence 99% of the time and the worst thing for me is his stupid bookings he gets.

I think he’s very lucky to be here I don’t think he brings enough to the table with goals and assist in my opinion.

We actually do watch a different Rory. You're so blinded by dislike for him that you're unable to see anything positive in his game. That's just sad. 

58 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

He was lucky not to get booked for simulation on Saturday.

He does pick up silly bookings. 

The general consensus is he was poor in the first half and great in the second which is pretty much how I saw it.

People were probably on his back for

1) it's Rory 

and

2) Goal aside he had a shocker the week before against Morton 

When was the last time (if ever) that he was suspended for collecting too many bookings?

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

When was the last time (if ever) that he was suspended for collecting too many bookings?

That's not the point .

A stupid booking for stopping the opponents taking a throw in then one mistimed challenge later its a second yellow and we could be down to 10 men.

Referees don't need any encouragement. 

Rory is an intelligent guy and an experienced pro footballer but he does some daft things to get booked especially last season. 

53 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

That's not the point .

A stupid booking for stopping the opponents taking a throw in then one mistimed challenge later its a second yellow and we could be down to 10 men.

Referees don't need any encouragement. 

Rory is an intelligent guy and an experienced pro footballer but he does some daft things to get booked especially last season. 

Sorry that was my point I was making a silly booking then makes you think twice over going for a tackle.I would rather him get booked for a missed time tackle than punching the ball out of someone hands 

1 hour ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

We actually do watch a different Rory. You're so blinded by dislike for him that you're unable to see anything positive in his game. That's just sad. 

I don’t dislike him he plays for my team I will support him.

my point is he has to influence games at this level. He done that on Saturday in the second half by running at players and staying wide if he done that more often instead of coming inside and offering nothing he would probably be more consistent 

2 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

He's played 312 times in all competitions for Killie and Brechin and has never been sent off for two cautions.

The only red he's had was for booting the Dons player deep into added time after Steven McLean had sent off Broadfoot and Findlay as well.

Edited by skygod

I don't dislike him either. 

In fact he receives a lot of unwarranted abuse .

He was and still is a convenient whipping boy and he's on his own now as Ross Millen is away.

However that doesn't excuse the fact that sometimes he actually will play poorly or get a daft booking.

TW obviously rates him as he tried to sign him for St Johnstone.

16 minutes ago, Longballexpert said:

I don’t dislike him he plays for my team I will support him.

my point is he has to influence games at this level. He done that on Saturday in the second half by running at players and staying wide if he done that more often instead of coming inside and offering nothing he would probably be more consistent 

He came inside and played the pass to Robinson to win the penalty on Saturday...

Burke has also been coming inside a lot more this season - it's clearly something structured by the manager, most likely because he's aware of how ineffective crossing generally is as a tactic.

25 minutes ago, Longballexpert said:

Sorry that was my point I was making a silly booking then makes you think twice over going for a tackle.I would rather him get booked for a missed time tackle than punching the ball out of someone hands 

If it helps, in spite of his weird bookings (all three of them) last season he won the third most tackles in our team after Power and Dicker, both of whom got booked significantly more.

(In fairness, McGowan was higher in tackles per 90 for the times he did play).

Edited by Lorielus

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

He's played 312 times in all competitions and has never been sent off for two cautions.

The only red he's had was for booting the Dons player deep into injury time after Steven McLean had sent off Broadfoot and Findlay as well.

I know that,  but putting yourself and your team under pressure for daft bookings isn't wise. 

If he took a booking for stopping an opponent breaking through on goal that's fair enough.

But punching the ball out of an opponents hand when they are taking a throw in down by their own corner flag is plain stupid.

5 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

I know that,  but putting yourself and your team under pressure for daft bookings isn't wise. 

He was doing it a lot for a while last season under Dyer but he seems to have learned his lesson. He's a smart guy.

Maybe he's more likely get a second yellow out of frustration with eejits booing him. 

1 hour ago, stewarty66 said:

Not surprised. 

Probably the worst refereeing performance I can remember in recent times at RP.

Shinnies part in the cards being dished out didn't help either.

It annoys me to this day that the performance of that referee wasn't discussed more in the sports media.  The attention was on the reds, but they weren't the worst decisions of the day by any means.  The sheer volume of diving all over the park by Aberdeen was incredible, and virtually all of them were rewarded with freekick after freekick.  And then there was Cosgrove, who elbowed someone, put in a high-quality forearm smash on someone, took three or four blatant dives and had three or four other fouls, all in the first half.  The guy's first half performance was genuinely so unhinged it was like he'd taken PCP before the game, but he would have had to put a machete into someone's neck for the referee to sent him off that day.

Edited by Lorielus

14 hours ago, Longballexpert said:

We must watch a different Rory. He never anticipates flick a  on. He plays as a wide man but never stays wide when is strengths are running at people. He always comes in with his back to goal.

He plays well maybe 2 in 10 games yes he’s hard working but he’s hard working in the wrong areas. He done well driving forward for the pen on Saturday ( a strength he has ) he completely lacks game intelligence 99% of the time and the worst thing for me is his stupid bookings he gets.

I think he’s very lucky to be here I don’t think he brings enough to the table with goals and assist in my opinion.

The lack of anticipation of early passes or through balls/ being 2 seconds behind other players thinking/ dithering with throw ins ruins so many potential attacks. This drives me up the wall and no manager has improved this part of his game. The fact nobody appears to notice this makes me question my sanity.

He should be a stand out in this league if he is as good as everybody seems to think he is, he's not.

2 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

If he took a booking for stopping an opponent breaking through on goal that's fair enough.

But punching the ball out of an opponents hand when they are taking a throw in down by their own corner flag is plain stupid.

This is what I don’t get about the voting system on here? 

3 downvotes. Is that 3 people? 3 real people saying naw, it’s no plain stupid?

This place boggles my mind.

Why don’t the 3 people explain what they disagree with the above statement? I’d like to know their argument. Would make this place more fun actually instead of people hiding behind a red/green vote. Takes away the whole point of a forum if you ask me.Scrap it.

38 minutes ago, Guff92 said:

This is what I don’t get about the voting system on here? 

3 downvotes. Is that 3 people? 3 real people saying naw, it’s no plain stupid?

This place boggles my mind.

Why don’t the 3 people explain what they disagree with the above statement? I’d like to know their argument. Would make this place more fun actually instead of people hiding behind a red/green vote. Takes away the whole point of a forum if you ask me.Scrap it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to reiterate, he got booked three times last season, two of which were for doing the above.  In the list of catastrophic, hilariously amateurish and downright stupid decisions our players made last season, that should very much be filed under "who cares", particularly when neither led to sendings off or suspensions.  It's a really odd thing to fixate on, particularly as he'd never done it before last season and hasn't done it since, so it's not like there's a pattern of behaviour either.

Edited by Lorielus

1 hour ago, WWWWnnnnnn! said:

The lack of anticipation of early passes or through balls/ being 2 seconds behind other players thinking/ dithering with throw ins ruins so many potential attacks. This drives me up the wall and no manager has improved this part of his game. The fact nobody appears to notice this makes me question my sanity.

He should be a stand out in this league if he is as good as everybody seems to think he is, he's not.

Your not the only one who notices this but you question it and bring it up your wrong.

As I said before his lack of game intelligence is scary he will have a 2 good games and everyone forgets.

his goal against Morton last week was what he should be doing more often get in at the back post take a chance. Thing is he very rarely does it. His return of 15 goals in 250 games as an attacker is so poor. I don’t see how you can defend that again these are just my opinions 

34 minutes ago, Longballexpert said:

Your not the only one who notices this but you question it and bring it up your wrong.

As I said before his lack of game intelligence is scary he will have a 2 good games and everyone forgets.

his goal against Morton last week was what he should be doing more often get in at the back post take a chance. Thing is he very rarely does it. His return of 15 goals in 250 games as an attacker is so poor. I don’t see how you can defend that again these are just my opinions 

So, to be clear between you and a couple of others...

-  You want him to stay wide, but come inside and attack the back post

-  You want him to anticipate flicks on and throughballs, even though they rarely if ever go wide

-  You want him to run at players while somehow also anticipating throughballs and flick ons, meaning he has to come deep to collect the ball in order to run at players while also going beyond for these flick ons and through balls, all without coming inside

-  Though he's one of most rarely booked players in our team, you want him to get booked even less often even though it's never actually cost us, and do so without pulling out of challenges

-  You don't want him pulling out of tackles (even though he was third in our team after two guys with two of highest tackle counts in the league)

-  You don't want him dithering with throwins, even though he doesn't take our throwins

So, in conclusion, what we're looking for is for Rory, at 5'6 and probably about 10 stone, is to scream into a tackle, play a through-ball that breaks the lines that he anticpates and runs onto while hugging the touchline without coming inside, runs at and skins the fullback to get to the goal line, and crosses it to himself arriving late at the back post, also without coming inside.

I feel like Rory not having yet transcended the limits of euclidean space-time might be an unreasonable criticism at our level of football.  I think that's maybe English Championship level before you can expect that.

Edited by Lorielus

8 minutes ago, Lorielus said:

So, to be clear between you and a couple of others...

-  You want him to stay wide, but come inside and attack the back post

-  You want him to anticipate flicks on and throughballs, even though they rarely if ever go wide

-  You want him to run at players while somehow also anticipating throughballs and flick ons, meaning he has to come deep to collect the ball in order to run at players while also going beyond for these flick ons and through balls, all without coming inside

-  Though he's one of most rarely booked players in our team, you want him to get booked even less often even though it's never actually cost us, and do so without pulling out of challenges

-  You don't want him pulling out of tackles (even though he was third in our team after two guys with two of highest tackle counts in the league)

-  You don't want him dithering with throwins, even though he doesn't take our throwins

So, in conclusion, what we're looking for is for Rory, at 5'6 and probably about 10 stone, is to scream into a tackle, play a through-ball that breaks the lines that he anticpates and runs onto while hugging the touchline without coming inside, runs at and skins the fullback to get to the goal line, and crosses it to himself arriving late at the back post, also without coming inside.

I feel like Rory not having yet transcended the limits of euclidean space-time might be an unreasonable criticism at our level of football.  I think that's maybe English Championship level before you can expect that.

- I want him to stay wide when play is building up his side and Do what he does best a drive at people. Game intelligence would tell you to attack the back post when the play is over the other side.

- you can anticipate flick on running in from the wing see Murray’s goal against Falkirk when he ran in from the wing to anticipate the flick on.

- I don’t want him to get booked for punching the ball out of peoples hands when it puts him on tight rope for the rest of the game.

- he’s should be splitting the lines assisting more scoring more he’s had ten years to do that but he just doesn’t. 

Do you think his goals and assists and chance creating is good ?