Third Lanark

Documentary on the sad tale of Third Lanark this evening 10.30pm - BBC Alba. Maybe been on before?

Cathkin is a must visit for any fan who is fascinated with stadia. Three sides of vast terracing still intact, must have been some stadium in the 60s.

When they disappeared in 1967, if I’m correct did the second division have an odd number of teams until 1974, when Ferranti  Thistle / Meadowbank Thistle / Livingston took their place?

Third Lanark or Livingston - I know which team I’d rather have in the leagues.

1 minute ago, Guard Lane said:

Documentary on the sad tale of Third Lanark this evening 10.30pm - BBC Alba. Maybe been on before?

Cathkin is a must visit for any fan who is fascinated with stadia. Three sides of vast terracing still intact, must have been some stadium in the 60s.

When they disappeared in 1967, if I’m correct did the second division have an odd number of teams until 1974, when Ferranti  Thistle / Meadowbank Thistle / Livingston took their place?

Third Lanark or Livingston - I know which team I’d rather have in the leagues.

Aye. It was a well put together show, as I remember it. Worth a watch.

I was talking to an old guy when at work the other week who played for them. Ally Miller. He also won the cup with St Mirren in the 50s.

He was telling us how he played for one of the biggest clubs in the country at the time and raving about what it was like playing at Cathkin.

As late in their life as 1960 (ish), Thirds finished third or thereabouts in the First Division.

They had great forwards in Hilley, Harley and Gray, and I think Ally MacLeod was there too.

From memory, I think Hilley went to Newcastle and Gray to Man City so there was decent transfer fees going in. 

They had a decent support too, similar to Thistle, but it all just collapsed with the boardroom shenanigans.

Edited by skygod