Oli Shaw

Cill Mheàrnaig

Malky Mackay described the summer transfer window as being like a game of chess as Ross County made a striking move on deadline day.

The Staggies manager signed Wycombe Wanderers forward Alex Samuel (25) on a two-year deal, just hours after 22-year-old Oli Shaw moved from Dingwall to Championship side Kilmarnock.

It makes the incredible turnover since Mackay came into the club in May as 12 in and 15 out as the team can now get down to the business of adding to the two Premiership points on the board.

Mackay explained the waiting game involved as August 31 drew to a close.

He said: “There was a host of clubs queuing up for Oli Shaw and it wasn’t right for us to let him go at that point, whereas in the last couple of days it was the right thing to do with Alex Samuel coming in.

“You’ve got to be clued in and know where a lot of chess pieces are sitting. You don’t want to wait until the last minute where somebody is phoning you out of the blue and you are taking a gamble.

“There was another one that didn’t transpire because of a situation at their club as well as Alex.

“We had a good conversation with Wycombe and with the agent and Alex and to get a player in with bags of experience of English football and who played in a play-off final, I’ll take that all day long.

“With Jack Baldwin also coming in, it’s pleasing to get two permanent signings as opposed to plugging gaps with loans.”

While Shaw will aim to fire Killie back out of the Championship, Mackay was quick to thank the former Hibs hitman for his attitude, even when the move seemed imminent.

The boss added: “Oli is a terrific young man and I wish him all the best at Kilmarnock.

“He needed to go and play every week and get his career moving. He has been a credit to this football club and, even over the last week or two, he’s been an absolute credit and I hope it goes well for him.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/3436022/waiting-game-helped-bring-ross-county-striker-alex-samuel-in-as-oli-shaw-made-killie-switch/

15 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

mmm. I can see a wee flaw in there...

I don't. 

Once we get Robinson back then he plays as a second striker, allowing Polworth to play deeper and dictate the tempo. Pretty sure that was the end-goal all along and with McGinn marshalling things, Polworth alongside and Robinson playing off Shaw with Burke and Murray out wide we've a serious attacking threat.