Jamie Gullan

Bellman2010

27 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Looking at what happens in Scottish football - players go from St Mirren to Hibs, players go from Hibs to Kilmarnock (not in this case obv), players go from Kilmarnock to St Mirren. You do have to wonder if there is something going on... 

Agents and sometimes - not saying it in this case - the same agents for players and managers. Who remembers signing three players after a bounce game at Cumbernauld?  

7 minutes ago, Garvis said:

So let’s simplify the scenario you walk into a shop to buy a crate of lager 2 minutes before closing time you’ve planned to buy said crate of lager all week when you get to the till the shop keeper says sorry you can’t have that I’m keeping it for myself. Is that your fault and does it mean you’re not fit to buy a carry out. 

Our only wrong in all this is leaving ourselves open to failure at the death. By all accounts we’ve gone out identifying targets and had them agreed. We’ve been sitting with two on deadline day which are reliant on other clubs finding replacements. Ones went well and the other has gone wrong. Both could easily have went either way. The problem is County and Hibs wanted another striker while we were for want of a better word desperate for two.

As said previously the saving grace is this loan window but I’d much prefer we were using it to address emergencies from injuries etc or pick up a gem we wouldn’t normally get. Not be looking to sign a striker we’ve been looking for for 2+ months

11 minutes ago, piffer said:

Our only wrong in all this is leaving ourselves open to failure at the death. By all accounts we’ve gone out identifying targets and had them agreed. We’ve been sitting with two on deadline day which are reliant on other clubs finding replacements. Ones went well and the other has gone wrong. Both could easily have went either way. The problem is County and Hibs wanted another striker while we were for want of a better word desperate for two.

As said previously the saving grace is this loan window but I’d much prefer we were using it to address emergencies from injuries etc or pick up a gem we wouldn’t normally get. Not be looking to sign a striker we’ve been looking for for 2+ months

We have been looking for a striker for 2+ years!

22 minutes ago, Garvis said:

So let’s simplify the scenario you walk into a shop to buy a crate of lager 2 minutes before closing time you’ve planned to buy said crate of lager all week when you get to the till the shop keeper says sorry you can’t have that I’m keeping it for myself. Is that your fault and does it mean you’re not fit to buy a carry out. 

Unfortunately you over simplify the scenario. Fowler has found himself stumbling about the carry out shop for well over a week and allowed the shop keeper to pull his plonker right up to closing time.  Again.

Not to mention the time he spent golfing and dining last week on a jolly when he was supposed to be working on bringing players in, much to the ire of TW.

34 minutes ago, Merk said:

Unfortunately you over simplify the scenario. Fowler has found himself stumbling about the carry out shop for well over a week and allowed the shop keeper to pull his plonker right up to closing time.  Again.

Not to mention the time he spent golfing and dining last week on a jolly when he was supposed to be working on bringing players in, much to the ire of TW.

Why don't you PM James Fowler and tell him that maybe that way you will get his response to your enquiry. 

36 minutes ago, Merk said:

It would surprise you the amount of business that’s done on the golf course. 

So we're split between the pro-Fowlers and the anti-Fowlers again.  How familiar.

The pro-Fowlers with their "say it to his face why don't you", their weird off-license based analogies, and their litany of events outside his control.

The guy's paid for results.  We're IMO two players behind optimum.  That's it.  That's all it is.  Whether it's something that happened at Hibs, whether he shouldn't have taken a holiday at the most demanding period of his yearly itinerary who knows - he's not a bad guy, he's not necessary incompetent but we're two players light, and that's all there is to it.  We're going to have to manage with what we've got, but we can all agree it's an opportunity wasted.

1 minute ago, Estragon said:

So we're split between the pro-Fowlers and the anti-Fowlers again.  How familiar.

The pro-Fowlers with their "say it to his face why don't you", their weird off-license based analogies, and their litany of events outside his control.

The guy's paid for results.  We're IMO two players behind optimum.  That's it.  That's all it is.  Whether it's something that happened at Hibs, whether he shouldn't have taken a holiday at the most demanding period of his yearly itinerary who knows - he's not a bad guy, he's not necessary incompetent but we're two players light, and that's all there is to it.  We're going to have to manage with what we've got, but we can all agree it's an opportunity wasted.

Thought we were one player light. Wasn't it always two players TW talked about signing ?

2 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Thought we were one player light. Wasn't it always two players TW talked about signing ?

You're right actually, he did.  I probably phrased that wrongly - I was more basing my opinion on what we saw on Saturday rather than the manager's previous comments.

Ultimately, the whole rebuild wasn't going to be done in one window - feel like that might be a direct line from somewhere - and as I've said elsewhere I think we'll definitely have enough to be in the mix by the time the January window opens, but definitely feels like a missed opportunity given the size of our budget relative to our competitors in this league, and the one above.

Once might be seen as an accident. What I see here us a pattern. We need a better strategy when it comes to getting talent.

Right now I see we have an adequate squad for the Championship. I dont see the quality I think you need to get us out of it. To move up you need quality, to get quality you have to have the ability to attract it. Right now that deies not seem to be happening.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

While I agree with the majority of what you said, the last sentence is incorrect. We got the striker we’ve been looking for, Oli Shaw. Jamie Gullan was only ever going to come in because Burrell picked up an injury in training which forced us to look for an extra striker

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

The problem isn't whether we are pro fowler or anti fowler it is that we just don't know what happened other than indulging in wild speculation which may be wide of the mark.

Unfortunately we will all feel a certain level of disappointment that what we wanted to happen did not materialise. 

None of us know the true background and probably the last minute hold up came at the Hibs end and can you really say Fowler hasn't justified his position so far this season with the amount of players TW and him have secured for the club I think you are being a wee bit harsh here.

2 minutes ago, Bbk said:

The problem isn't whether we are pro fowler or anti fowler it is that we just don't know what happened other than indulging in wild speculation which may be wide of the mark.

Unfortunately we will all feel a certain level of disappointment that what we wanted to happen did not materialise. 

None of us know the true background and probably the last minute hold up came at the Hibs end and can you really say Fowler hasn't justified his position so far this season with the amount of players TW and him have secured for the club I think you are being a wee bit harsh here.

Well I wondered that, but I have said elsewhere that they did great work at the beginning of the window.  What I will say is that it's too early to judge whether there was an appropriate contingency plan in place - and we'll see that by the end of the loan window this month.

I don't think that Fowler hasn't justified his position - but I do feel like we've got a large group on the forum who are willing to offer all manner of excuses on his behalf, and another group that seem to think he's the root of all issue at the club.  What I'm saying is that I don't agree with either extreme.

6 minutes ago, Bbk said:

...can you really say Fowler hasn't justified his position so far this season with the amount of players TW and him have secured for the club I think you are being a wee bit harsh here.

That's how it works, TW gets all the credit for signings, Fowler will get all the blame (for bad signings or signings that don't happen)

16 minutes ago, Mister Y said:

All of a sudden Gullan is the friggin' messiah!

Get a grip!

Then you get the guy that doesn't read the thread and just comes out with total gibberish ?

I cant think of one post in here saying he's the messiah (naughty boy maybe) so not got a clue what you are havering about TBH.

Edited by Merk

James Fowler is the non playing Rory MacKenzie.

A convenient whipping boy.

Him and TW have had a squad rebuild to contend within 3 months.

Signed players that appear more motivated than the majority of last seasons shower.

We cant force clubs to sell us or loan players. 

A move takes both clubs , the player and the agent to all come together and mutually agree the deal.

If one or more dont like it the deal can fall apart.

I for one, dont envy the role Fowler has .Its a juggling act and you'll drop a ball sometimes.

Maybe TW identifies players and Fowler tries to arrange it, or does Fowler have agents contacting him about a players availability  and he then puts it to TW who says yes or no.?

The truth is as fans we have no idea.

From the outside looking in IMO it appears  that Fowler seems more comfortable dealing with TW than Dyer.

Since June we look to have signed reasonably competent at this level footballers . 

Not just good lads that work 'ard