Steve Clarke

kfc_superteam

Don't get me wrong I think Sir Steve is a hero for what he did with Killie but if you ignore the sentiment and look at how he has done at international level is he really doing any better than his predecessors? 

Yes we qualified for the euros but that was through a backdoor route that McLeish in fact got us into. We scraped by Israel on penalties and did well to beat Serbia but despite being the better team (on that occasion) we scraped by on penalties. 

The actual qualifying campaigns have been no better results wise and performance wise than any of McLeish, Strachans performance. The euros themselves were disappointing. 

Could it be that in reality and as much as we say 'we have players playing in the epl' we aren't actually very good. International teams especially the top ones are the elite and Scotland aren't in that bracket. We haven't found a way of bringing the players we have into an effective system. Maybe it's the type of players and the mentality of the players that is the issue. 

Personally I don't actually think it's working. I'm not calling him to be sacked as I just don't think we are good enough or have the correct players for what he wants to do. Replicating what Sir Steve did with us seems to be a different ball game. He doesn't have every day to work with players, a settled squad which I think is where his strength lies. Don't get me wrong it's almost an impossible job. Denmark finished in the semi final of the euros so it was a difficult game but in the first half we were annilated. 

I have no answers, it's just an observation. I wonder if any manager would do well at Scotland. 

It's a had one to judge. Would anyone be able to do any better? 

The squad on paper doesn't look too bad with plenty of EPL experience. 

I noticed in the Euro's v Croatia that without Gilmour the midfielders were very anonymous.Think it was Travis the other day that said players are all basically the same and I think the likes of McGegor are good example of that. 

For me I'd have the best young players in the squad and always have McGinn, Gilmour and McTominay as the midfield when available.