Falkirk Match Fred

C4mmy31

I have to admit to not knowing all the players yet, that and glaucoma doesn’t help me recognise them. Thought the lad on the right wing was good, some great touches and trickery. Excellent cameo from Warnock when he came on. We should have hammered them, missed a few chances when it looked easier to score, there will be games when we can't afford to miss so many. Hopefully Scott Robinson will be back to add to our goal threat. 

Not a particularly great game of football, it has to be said. For the second week in a row, we defended poorly but standing off and not committing to the tackle. Sanders did not do a lot to convince me that he deserves to be in the team. His first touch is poor with the ball ending up several feet in front of him constantly. 

I would say that F Murray did well, especially for his goal. He showed the rest of the team how to finish. Armstrong as well started to grow into the game with time but needs to make better decisions consistently.

Falkirk weren't great either but that first half performance from ourselves would have seen us punished by better teams.

Really enjoyed that today, especially the 2nd half.   We tried to play the ball on the ground and had some lovely passing moves down both wings until both wingers were substituted.  

I was very impressed with Armstrong and he would be my man of the match.  Thought both Murrays and Alston were very good too. Shaw looked better than I was expecting and would expect him to improve with more games under his belt. i

Thought Falkirk looked good in the first half after they equalised and played some nice football. I really liked the guy who scored for them, Nesbitt. 

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

We really kicked on second half. Our tempo was so much better and we pulled them all over the pitch. We stopped playing back and sideways and started to be braver on the ball. We created plenty and should have scored a few more goals in the process.

Thought we had more balance in the team without Burke. That is not a drop him statement but it was a lot less obvious who we would look to play through. Instead of constantly wanting to go through one player we mixed it up and others took on some responsibility to make things happen.

Murray showed if he gets a sniff he can finish. Armstrong was full of energy and developed an understanding with Naismith as the game went on. Shaw offered a lot. Unlucky not to score but offered a threat in the air, on the ground and running in behind. Waters started a bit shaky but again as the minutes went on he looked more assured and confident. Walker was a calming influence in goal. Good in possession and excellent distribution.

Im not sure about Sanders and Lyons. Lyons got into some good positions but his technique was all off. Sanders looked like a rabbit in the headlights at times. Poor decision making at the first goal and sloppy when we went ahead again.

Delighted to see the two youngsters get some minutes. Warnock in particular looks lively and assured on the ball. Watson half his lines and showed good aggression in the middle of the park. 

Good assessment. Completely agree on comments on Burke. Everything seems to go through him and more variety of options today. Great to have Burkey back  but hopefully Armstrong will start some games or come on rather than persisting with Burke when clearly dead beat.

Sanders had a horror start but thought he generally recovered well. F Murray was excellent and if we had taken some of the many sitters, two in particular, then it would have been an emphatic win. 

Some promising signs. 

Much better second period as we upped tempo of our passing and stretched Falkirk a lot better we look a far bette team when play the ball quicker and have players moving off the ball to create space 

One of 2 of the so called fringe players would have given TW something to think about

Lyons will be having flashbacks of those 2 sitters he ballooned over the bar 

Depending on fitness would like to see Robinson played off Shaw with Polworth and Alston competing for the slot alongside McGinn in the next few games 

Edited by Scouser2

8 minutes ago, Pelesboots said:

Really enjoyed that today, especially the 2nd half.   We tried to play the ball on the ground and had some lovely passing moves down both wings until both wingers were substituted.  

I was very impressed with Armstrong and he would be my man of the match.  Thought both Murrays and Alston were very good too. Shaw looked better than I was expecting and would expect him to improve with more games under his belt. i

Thought Falkirk looked good in the first half after they equalised and played some nice football. I really liked the guy who scored for them, Nesbitt. 

Aidan Nesbitt caught the eye and I think he could do a job for us. Flair and an eye for goal. 

Armstrong was was my man of the match. Great positional awareness and wasn't afraid to beat his man, and made some great recovery and covering runs defensively, as well as creating a few brilliant chances. 

Shaw was a breath of fresh air, and posed a real and dangerous threat, and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet, think he will prove to be a brilliant signing. 

F. Murray done what we know he's capable of, and was a handful all game, and took both goals well. 

The whole team improved second half, and it became a masterclass of attacking football, just lacking a clinical edge, we could have had 6. 

We missed the security of McGinn in the middle, with Alston and Lyons both going forward it left the defensive exposed at times. 

Saunders doesn't inspire confidence, but that maybe due to his lack of game time, and he certainly grew into the game. 

Waters has to start against morton, just seemed better all round with a brilliant first touch, which meant he was a great outball, and was really positive with his play.

My only criticism is that we got sacked into play too much, a ball would go up in the air and players with no chance of being there in time to challenge for it would get sucked towards it, leaving a massive gap for the ball to be easily played into and put us on the back foot.

The caveat of this praise is that it was against (albeit a half decent) a league 1 team, who are generally our personal whipping boys. #foreverinourshawdow #97

Not the worst game we have witnessed at rugby park and a few good performances thought Shaw looks like he will be okay for us and I agree that Waters looks a better option than Haunstrap and liked the wayvTW gave the young boys a small cameo all in all a good day at the office!

• CB unpinned this topic
17 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Not sure I would agree with the appraisal of watters game. I though he had a mare in the first half. Certainly improved in second half but falkirk didn’t have any concerted pressure during that period. Very much the back- up left back for me.

The LB position is a tough decision now for TW. I will give Waters some breathing space for his first half performance as it was his first minutes of this season after a hernia op and food poisoning, he certainly grew into the game the as it went on. Haunstrup has been slated most weeks apart from the Hamilton game for his assist. 

I think Waters offers more going forward and he looked like he had a good understanding with Murray which could be a key factor.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

Thought we had more balance in the team without Burke. That is not a drop him statement but it was a lot less obvious who we would look to play through. Instead of constantly wanting to go through one player we mixed it up and others took on some responsibility to make things happen.

Couldn't make it today - but really interested to read this. Put a similar comment on the Burke thread, but going to be interesting watching this going forward. 

Also not a drop him comment necessarily - but felt Caley would have had a harder time with both being natural wingers with more running last week. 

13 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

until he has one or two bad games then we will abandon him.

Was it always as bad as this?  I seem to remember when the likes of Hay, Boyd, Di Giacomo, etc. were breaking through there was a lot of understanding that young players are inconsistent and needed sustained gametime to develop.

Edited by Lorielus

29 minutes ago, MuirP said:

The LB position is a tough decision now for TW. I will give Waters some breathing space for his first half performance as it was his first minutes of this season after a hernia op and food poisoning, he certainly grew into the game the as it went on. Haunstrup has been slated most weeks apart from the Hamilton game for his assist. 

I think Waters offers more going forward and he looked like he had a good understanding with Murray which could be a key factor.

I d agree with that. The left side in General is more creative with Watters and Murray , but more defensive with MacKenzie and Haunstrup.

Watters crosses quicker and with more variety that Haunstrup who seems to dwell on the ball, But Watters sometimes by looking to overlap is caught out of position.

As we have seen with Murray he has disappeared in a couple of games and if we are being pinned back we would need MacKenzie s workrate. So if might depend on the opposition and perhaps if it's home or away as to who plays.

8 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

I d agree with that. The left side in General is more creative with Watters and Murray , but more defensive with MacKenzie and Haunstrup.

Watters crosses quicker and with more variety that Haunstrup who seems to dwell on the ball, But Watters sometimes by looking to overlap is caught out of position.

As we have seen with Murray he has disappeared in a couple of games and if we are being pinned back we would need MacKenzie s workrate. So if might depend on the opposition and perhaps if it's home or away as to who plays.

Completely agree with that assessment.