Youth development

piffer

23 minutes ago, piffer said:

Excellent to see the two boys get minutes this afternoon. Can’t help but think if they hadn’t been on international duty McArthur  and Wales might have been in contention as well.

It was refreshing to hear Wright on the radio post match. A manager taking an interest in the kids and involved in the planning and development of the youth players.

I took from Cathy’s monthly statement that Fowler might be more hands on with this after Paul McDonalds departure. He’s spoken passionately about pathways etc before and was helping with the kids before he left as a player. Knowing Wright is also taking an interest hopefully we see more from these boys in the future

It's a step-change from the recent past. The young boys gave a good account of themselves today. Hopefully, they get some sub appearances in the coming weeks to further showcase their talents. You would also hope that those on loan deals will get their chance next season.

It will be interesting to me to see what our structure will be after McDonald's departure. We haven't hired a replacement yet so maybe we are going to switch things up with our bigger focus on getting players out on loan deals to learn.

Vital we see much better results from our youth/development team going forward into first team squad and then playing time 

Can spend a shedload of money on a youth set up and coaching at all ages and might look good at that level….but if there is no end product in players making the step up to senior squad and a chance to prove themselves , then that can often discourage many of these players 

Like today and some game time for Watson and Warnock , that will send an encouraging sign to many of our younger players that the hard work can over time have its rewards 

Edited by Scouser2

16 hours ago, Secret Squirrel said:

It will be interesting to me to see what our structure will be after McDonald's departure. We haven't hired a replacement yet so maybe we are going to switch things up with our bigger focus on getting players out on loan deals to learn.

Said it previously if he was interested I’d be asking Kenny Shiels if he wanted to take that head of youth development role on. As it stands I can see Fowler taking on more of McDonalds duties as Wright is a more traditional manager for want of a better phrase than the coaches we’ve hired recently so perhaps less reliant on someone in Fows current role

35 minutes ago, piffer said:

Said it previously if he was interested I’d be asking Kenny Shiels if he wanted to take that head of youth development role on. As it stands I can see Fowler taking on more of McDonalds duties as Wright is a more traditional manager for want of a better phrase than the coaches we’ve hired recently so perhaps less reliant on someone in Fows current role

We no longer have elite status that is the one of the reasons Paul McDonald is no longer here.We don’t make the criteria for it and lose some of the sfa funding.There are certain criteria that have to be made and we have decided against making them probably due to the cost.One of them is a head of youth development which I would think is one of the bigger outlays.There might be a plan in the future to appoint one but is highly unlikely and it won’t be this year.

The requirements for elite status are all about having lots of "inputs" and ticking boxes to say you must have this role filled or have that structure in place and very little focus on how useful those are to actually producing players. The SFA funding for elite status doesnt come close to what is required to fund the required inputs.

dropping down to a lower status doesnt mean much, other than clubs can focus on what they want to do rather than have to follow the letter of the SFA's rules but they can still pick and choose from them.

I think you will find that Paul McDonald left because he decided he wanted to, whether or not this is because he wants to work at an "elite" academy or not, is totally his decision, which obviously he has taken.

Kilmarnock's future bright as Tommy Wright heaps praise on youth stars.

David Watson made his debut at just 16 against Falkirk on Saturday and, with Steven Warnock also getting minutes, it has the Rugby Park boss purring.

Tommy Wright reckons Kilmarnock’s future is bright and the youth prospects are worth getting excited about.

David Watson made his debut at just 16 in Saturday's 3-1 SPFL Trust Trophy win over Falkirk and, with Steven Warnock also getting minutes, it has the Rugby Park boss purring.

Speaking to the Kilmarnock Standard, Wright said: “It’s great to see these young lads turning out in front of fans.

“I have always done it, contrary to some people’s perception, I have always promoted young players.

“I have really liked David since I came in, I had seen him at the tail end of last season and we brought him into train with us this week.

“We gave him a contract on Friday, and he’s just 16 so he will be pleased to get on and play.”

He added: “I do feel that training with the first team, and then when they’re a bit older going out on loan which we are doing with Jon Craig, Ross Smith and Kyle Connell, that’s part of their development.

“Everyone knows about Steven Warnock; he did well with the Scotland Under-19s this week and has had game-time here before.

“It’s up to them to keep developing, it’s up to them to keep doing the right things and make sure they are good professionals on and off the park.

“I believe there is a lot of ability in a number of them, so if they do that then I will always give them opportunities and it’s up to them.”

Next up for Killie is a home clash against Morton on Saturday in the cinch Championship. The Ayrshire side will be without Chris Stokes, Rumarn Burrell and Chris Burke.

Lochlin Highet.

It is very refreshing to hear TW talking up the youth players, by the sound of it they have been set clear goals to follow let's hope this leads to a number making the first team. It has been too long since this has been achieved on a consistent basis.

Good luck to all these young guys. 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:45 PM, gordon4418 said:

I think you will find that Paul McDonald left because he decided he wanted to, whether or not this is because he wants to work at an "elite" academy or not, is totally his decision, which obviously he has taken.

Has he actually been picked up by anyone?

There can’t be that many clubs out there with “elite” status with a vacancy so odd he chose to leave without something to move to

Bobby Wales and Kian Leslie helped Kilmarnock U18s defeat Hamilton Accies 2-1 in the Club Academy Scotland League.

The pair struck in the first half at Rugby Park as new Interim Head of Academy Paul Di Giacomo watched on from the stands.

Craig Clark’s team were on the front foot early on and it was little surprise when they took the lead through Wales’ smart finish.

For all their early dominance, Killie almost let that lead slip with George O’Connor producing a fine fingertip save to keep a close range header out.

The goalkeeper was spared from making an error with his kicking only for the officials to rule it out for an infringement by the visiting forward.

Instead it was Killie who went 2-0 ahead as Kian Leslie put the finishing tough on a slick forward move.

Leslie almost set up a third goal for the hosts but Aaron Brown’s finish was chalked off for offside.

Hamilton did come back into the match and found some hope when a powerful strike beat O’Connor from distance.

The hosts had to dig in to hold what they had and after a late flurry of chances for both teams, they did just that to take all three points.

Killie XI: George O’Connor, Max Conway (Matthew Hoffin), Lyall Holding, Charlie McArthur, Joe Spencer, Harvey Gilmour (Aiden McAuley), David Watson, Cameron Mulvanney (Ben Hughes), Kian Leslie, Bobby Wales, Aaron Brown (Jamie Kirkpatrick)

Unused Subs: Josh Holmes, Nathan Smith, Shaun Kennedy

23 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Bobby Wales and Kian Leslie helped Kilmarnock U18s defeat Hamilton Accies 2-1 in the Club Academy Scotland League.

The pair struck in the first half at Rugby Park as new Interim Head of Academy Paul Di Giacomo watched on from the stands.

Craig Clark’s team were on the front foot early on and it was little surprise when they took the lead through Wales’ smart finish.

For all their early dominance, Killie almost let that lead slip with George O’Connor producing a fine fingertip save to keep a close range header out.

The goalkeeper was spared from making an error with his kicking only for the officials to rule it out for an infringement by the visiting forward.

Instead it was Killie who went 2-0 ahead as Kian Leslie put the finishing tough on a slick forward move.

Leslie almost set up a third goal for the hosts but Aaron Brown’s finish was chalked off for offside.

Hamilton did come back into the match and found some hope when a powerful strike beat O’Connor from distance.

The hosts had to dig in to hold what they had and after a late flurry of chances for both teams, they did just that to take all three points.

Killie XI: George O’Connor, Max Conway (Matthew Hoffin), Lyall Holding, Charlie McArthur, Joe Spencer, Harvey Gilmour (Aiden McAuley), David Watson, Cameron Mulvanney (Ben Hughes), Kian Leslie, Bobby Wales, Aaron Brown (Jamie Kirkpatrick)

Unused Subs: Josh Holmes, Nathan Smith, Shaun Kennedy

Is Cameron Mulvanney son of Grade 1 Lino Alan Mulvanney? Used to work with Alan, about 5yr ago, and his son was in the youth set-up back then.

Very positive to see the club really increasing the focus on youth development after a long time when it’s suffered a much lower profile. 

Particularly pleased to see Tommy Wright making a real effort in this area. He’s clearly keen to shake off some of his St Johnstone image. 

Fowler and di Giacomo also very clearly care about this, and want to see us grow our own - and they’re perfectly placed to tell young players what it takes to go from youth football to the Killie first time. 

Efforts to grow the engagement of other kids’ experiences and also women’s’ football are also really welcome moves and can only help contribute to a more coherent community of progress.