Greenock Morton match thread

Killie Conman

14 minutes ago, piffer said:

We lacked urgency for most of the game.

Exactly what I thought, especially in midfeld. We have three midfielders who are similar in age and experience and they can seem ponderous, Polworth especially.

We need something a bit different - more youthful, quicker and more energetic, prepared to run with ball - to make us less predictable.

It's much more what we need than another striker, I feel. Perhaps Lyons was intended to fill that role and he did provide a bit of drive when he came on.

Edited by skygod

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

Exactly what I thought, especially in midfeld. We have three midfielders who are similar in age and experience and they can seem ponderous, Polworth especially.

We need something a bit different - more youthful, quicker and more energetic, prepared to run with ball - to make us less predictable.

It's much more what we need than another striker, I feel.

I agree good quality midfield player would make all the difference. 

Strange game, started ok and after 15 me minutes in and we had a spell were the passing was crisp and some good attacks. Then Saunders started to flap Everytime a Ton player ran at him and the passing n general started to break down. Second half was not great and game was scrappy.

I like MacKenzie but apart from the goal I was disappointed with him and Naismith on the right hand side, Movement and creativity was poor.

Not supprised Polworth was brought off , He had plenty of the ball but did little influence the attacks. Just an off day for you m today perhaps.

I think Watters links better with Murray on the left than Haunstrup.

A win is a win ,under previous manager than might have been a nil nil.

Ps thought the crowd were quite today.

Poor poor poor today and that was just Morton. We are far too cautious and pedestrian, no energy or dynamism. Nobody taking risks, taking their man on or dribbling. Its 3 points but that's it. Rory got the goal, but was utterly abysmal other than that. On to Firhill and probably a sterner test. Very early signs that Haunstrup and Murray could form a good partnership on the left. Ewan Murray solid and reliable. 

Most of our better attacking moves came today when we upped the passing tempo and moved the ball around quicker and had players moving off the ball , stretching the opposition . 

At times especially at home with that midfield 3 , do feel it’s played at too sedate a pace and not enough quick forward momentum when it’s needed ….

21 minutes ago, Mcd said:

Difficiult 90 mins clearly a team still trying to gel. 

It’s easy to forget this at times. Today was competitive game 12? To have lost two of those for a whole new squad assembled in the summer is an achievement. It doesn’t matter what your budget is you still need time to find your identity as a team and bond as a unit.

I agree with @skygodand @funky monkeywe do need more energy in the team especially in the middle of the park at times. The three CMs have been decent but they all want to put their foot on the ball when the situation is calling for us to raise the tempo. Rory will run all day but usually grafting and not stretching opponents. When we up the tempo we’ve caused everyone we’ve played problems. Today Murray taking on his man they look suspect. Shaw getting the CBs on the turn they were vulnerable. Robinson running from deeper also took them out their comfort zone. We don’t do it consistently enough though

As others said, our transitions happen at a snails pace, and far too many long balls. Sanders gave me deja vu of watching broaders last season (who's now suddenly turned intae Beckenbaur)
I feel we will improve going forward with Robinson playing off Shaw... he's a pest to the opposition, fingers crossed he can stay fit.

Dynamic midfielder required.

p.s. Whits in the watter up in Arbroath? Scoring some amount o goals, will be a very hard game for us up there... are they the only part time team in the league?

Thought that could have gone either way. It seemed to me that Polworth pushed up start of second half to almost second forward.

That really didn't suit him and hd never challenged for a ball toward him with back to goal. Much better when Robinson came on.

TW needs to decide whether Polworth can be playing in the central two in my opinion. It might depend on who and where we're playing. Alston and McGinn at home against the likes of Morton aren't going to be positive enough.

Our skipper made two fantastic blocks in the first half and without them we'd have lost.

The first half was pretty painful although the second was a bit better but before Rory scored I was wanting Armstrong on in his place. Shaw didn’t get great service but his control let him down at times. OK I know it was against lower league opposition last week but surely Warnock deserves a place on the bench for a team badly lacking creativity. Robinson added some pace when he came on, shame Shaw didn't see him or went for glory. I would hope that Robinson starts next week and today was easing him back after injury.

5 minutes ago, Harrogate Peter said:

Thought that could have gone either way. It seemed to me that Polworth pushed up start of second half to almost second forward.

That really didn't suit him and hd never challenged for a ball toward him with back to goal. Much better when Robinson came on.

TW needs to decide whether Polworth can be playing in the central two in my opinion. It might depend on who and where we're playing. Alston and McGinn at home against the likes of Morton aren't going to be positive enough.

Our skipper made two fantastic blocks in the first half and without them we'd have lost.

Have high hopes for polworth and think he will be a key player but he comes across a bit moody and he always wants to take an extra touch and slows down the play 

3 minutes ago, Big sexy said:

Have high hopes for polworth and think he will be a key player but he comes across a bit moody and he always wants to take an extra touch and slows down the play 

Polworth looks like a deep lying playmaker to me. I'd like 2 up top and to keep the width too, so only 2 from Polworth, McGinn and Alston can start.

Wasn't a pretty game but I suppose you play like that and still get a win shows the makings of a good team.

Euan Murray was outstanding and that tackle on the goal line meant more than a goal at the other end. 

Shaw looks capable enough but just needs that goal to get his confidence going.

Rory did what he does best play s**te then pop up with whats needed.

In the end a huge 3 pts set up for a huge game next week.