Greenock Morton match thread

Killie Conman

We just look like a team that’s not 100% on who we are as an attacking outfit. Wingers come inside to allow our fullbacks to overlap and have space for crosses or a shot yet Haunstrup looks unsure and is trying to keep shape and Naismith looked like a burst baw from the first minute. Matter of time for Shaw to start firing does all the right things, I do think as others have said that polworth deeper and Robinson in a 10 w shaw up top would be better. Wins a win, end of the day it’s the mora  bring on Patrick. 

It wasn’t perfect today but when you see results elsewhere today it shows that even playing poorly we can still pick up points where others collapse. Delighted to see Rory score to shut up 70% of the East Stand who howl every time he makes a mistake whilst clapping others for the same errors. 

• CB unpinned this topic

That was a strange game, and even stranger I seem to have seen it differently to almost everyone on this thread as far as I can see.

I thought in the first half we played some excellent pass-and-move sequences to find a lot of space, particular on the right hand side in the first 20 minutes and then on the left corner of the box in the 15 minutes or so after that.  I thought McKenzie and Naismith looked a really promising combination in the first half, and I was delighted to see us trying to work the ball into the box rather than the aimless crosses we've been a bit guilty of this season.

Defensively we looked a bit vulnerable throughout - Sanders looked exposed on a few occasions much like the cup game, but (and I say this with the caveat that they've probably been the standouts of the season to date) I thought he got little help from McGinn and Euan Murray, both of whom seem to be relying on Sanders being the one to bring the ball out of defense and make a telling pass - of course, that may have been an instruction rather than their choice.

Second half I've no idea what the plan was, we seem to decide to no longer attempt any semblence of the passing that had made some space in the first half.  I can't even say we turned to hoofball as we didn't seem to really try that either, we just seemed to ask our centre halfs (Sanders mostly) to put it out wide into congested areas and (at best) win endless shies.  I genuinely wouldn't given a single player from the midfield forward passmarks for that second half performance - Polworth seemed to be in the huff, Shaw seemed to want to beat the entire defense himself, McKenzie and Naismith dwelt on the ball endlessly, Murray seemed only want to collect the ball deep rather than stretch the play and Alston seemed to be only playing in burst - all very disjointed.

I've also no idea why Polworth is taking the set plays in Burke's absence - the long, slow floated deliveries give keepers and defenders all the time in the world and remove our ability to attack a ball (already a weakness) Murray, McKenzie and even Haunstrup have better delivery, and I would expect Polworth to be a better option for trying to pick up a shot from any knock-down or second ball from them.

I know a win is a win, but we really need to get to a point where we can put in a performance over a whole match rather than fits and starts.

Tommy Wright was delighted that his side bagged a vital three points - but knows it has to be a lot better.

The Rugby Park boss saw Kilmarnock bag a late win against Morton thanks to a Rory McKenzie strike.

And he was the first to admit it wasn't pretty, but knows that securing three points was the most important thing.

He said: “Yeah I am delighted, that’s what we set out to do - get a win.

“It wasn’t the prettiest of games, we could probably have played a lot better on the ball.

“I think there was periods we were flat, but we produced a real moment of quality and scored a good goal.

“We defended well all game and the goalkeeper made a good couple of saves.

“I am pleased with the result, but in terms of level of performance it wasn’t near how we’ve been this season."

When asked if it's a good sign that they won without playing at their best Wright said: “That would be the first game I could say that to be fair to the lads.

“Inverness I don’t think we played too bad but we didn’t get the result.

“We have gone to different places like Queen of the South and Hamilton and played well, but against Morton maybe I expect too much at home in terms of tempo.

“It was a little bit off, it’s not a major concern, it’s just something to look at."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/tommy-wright-delighted-kilmarnock-win-24963349

"....against Morton maybe I expect too much at home in terms of tempo."

Strange thing to say - he's the guy who sets the expectations.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, piffer said:

It’s easy to forget this at times. Today was competitive game 12? To have lost two of those for a whole new squad assembled in the summer is an achievement. It doesn’t matter what your budget is you still need time to find your identity as a team and bond as a unit.

I agree with @skygodand @funky monkeywe do need more energy in the team especially in the middle of the park at times. The three CMs have been decent but they all want to put their foot on the ball when the situation is calling for us to raise the tempo. Rory will run all day but usually grafting and not stretching opponents. When we up the tempo we’ve caused everyone we’ve played problems. Today Murray taking on his man they look suspect. Shaw getting the CBs on the turn they were vulnerable. Robinson running from deeper also took them out their comfort zone. We don’t do it consistently enough though

i think 12 game are more than enough for the gelling to take place, at least in part.

happy with winning ugly, but would like to see us more dominant in games. Every time we play the bookies have us big odds on, each time i look at it and think it is skinny.

is hodson injured, surprised he wasnt in the squad.

for me one slight concern is the style of play isnt hugely different to the end of last season. still a lot of long balls (ps. have to say didnt see todays game) 

I thought the midfield 3 are to slow at getting the ball forward at times and not enough energy in that area. Also thought sanders was really shaky at times game changed a bit when Robinson came on he provides that energy we need and should have had a tap in if shaw made the right decision when Robinson is fully upto speed he will be a massive player for us .

3 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

i think 12 game are more than enough for the gelling to take place, at least in part.

It probably is but when you consider Stokes, Robinson, Burke, McKenzie, Murray, Waters, Burrell have all missed games through injury. Shaw and Hodson late additions. McGowan and Polworth signed before the season started but didn’t do pre season. That’s eleven players who have had an interrupted start. Have we actually been able to put a first choice starting lineup on the park yet. Always seems to be someone going out as another comes back.

Its not an excuse as the group have been together a while but it can take time for things to really kick in. The bonus is that we are picking up results despite the fact we aren’t hitting the performance levels we would hope.

You mentioned similarities to the end of last season. I can understand that opinion. The big differences so far are squad unity and not everyone switching off at once. Had someone made the errors last season that Sanders made today they would have been slaughtered by team mates. Not now. It’s a team game the encouragement and unity is evident. When a mistake is made someone looks to bail their mate out. Keeper made a couple of good stops. Murray cleared the lines. Things are discussed no one is shouted out and that helps. Sanders was shaky but you never saw his head go down. 

I'm pleased, well relieved really, that we got the points.

The goal came from a mistake by two of the Morton defenders running into each other and letting Fraser Murray get into a dangerous place in the box. His cross was put in by Rory at the back post. Nothing we did opened them up or created any chances. And it is a miracle the bonmbscare at the back did not cost us.

Wasn't pretty but we won and our goalscorer probably had a large majority of the HND brigade reluctantly cheering through gritted teeth.

As has been said our midfield are not imposing themselves anywhere near enough to influence or dictate games and hopefully once they do we will see us winning more comfortably. 

8 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I'm pleased, well relieved really, that we got the points.

The goal came from a mistake by two of the Morton defenders running into each other and letting Fraser Murray get into a dangerous place in the box. His cross was put in by Rory at the back post. Nothing we did opened them up or created any chances. And it is a miracle the bonmbscare at the back did not cost us.

That’s a bit disrespectful to F Murray his turn in the box which set up the goal was excellent. 

13 minutes ago, piffer said:

It probably is but when you consider Stokes, Robinson, Burke, McKenzie, Murray, Waters, Burrell have all missed games through injury. Shaw and Hodson late additions. McGowan and Polworth signed before the season started but didn’t do pre season. That’s eleven players who have had an interrupted start. Have we actually been able to put a first choice starting lineup on the park yet. Always seems to be someone going out as another comes back.

Its not an excuse as the group have been together a while but it can take time for things to really kick in. The bonus is that we are picking up results despite the fact we aren’t hitting the performance levels we would hope.

You mentioned similarities to the end of last season. I can understand that opinion. The big differences so far are squad unity and not everyone switching off at once. Had someone made the errors last season that Sanders made today they would have been slaughtered by team mates. Not now. It’s a team game the encouragement and unity is evident. When a mistake is made someone looks to bail their mate out. Keeper made a couple of good stops. Murray cleared the lines. Things are discussed no one is shouted out and that helps. Sanders was shaky but you never saw his head go down. 

fair point about the late arrivals etc. however i think we should drop it as an "excuse". plenty of time to get an ethos of play inserted in to the team.

i hoped that TW was making the best of a bad bunch at the end of last season, hence the style of play. i hoped with his own players we might see a different style this season.so far the style dose not look much better.

i agree that we are better defensively, and have keepers who actually make a difference. but we are going to have to get better going forward as teams will sit against us.

having said all that I am happy to win ugly to the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, Garvis said:

That’s a bit disrespectful to F Murray his turn in the box which set up the goal was excellent. 

Good initiative from him to try and turn in between the defenders but he got a bit of a break with the bounce of the ball. I was more impressed by how well he took advantage of his good fortune and the quality of his cross.

I actually voted for Fraser as MotM as he was clearly causing problems. But we still needed a bit if luck to get us over the line.

I thought there were a lot of similarities with the Caley game. Far too many long blooters up the park which Lithgow won every header against Shaw. It was blatant from about the 5th minute that this wouldn’t work but we kept at it. Sanders was the worst offender for it.

The 2 times we got it down and passed it round Morton, Shaw put 1 just wide of the post in the 1st half and then we scored with the 2nd.

Happy with the 3 points but we really need to buck up our ideas

A wins a win. Predictable home slog without X factor Burke. Good that TW still looking for somebody above squad player. We are a good championship side but not great. More needed. And time should allow improvement and we should run Inverness close. But another player needed to set us apart. I think shaw will get goals but still 3 positions need improvement for me.

10 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

A wins a win. Predictable home slog without X factor Burke. Good that TW still looking for somebody above squad player. We are a good championship side but not great. More needed. And time should allow improvement and we should run Inverness close. But another player needed to set us apart. I think shaw will get goals but still 3 positions need improvement for me.

Your too kind bigguy thought we were torture today expect the forum police to delete this as usual 

Probably one of our worst performances under TW, but got the job done, which is what winning the Championship is all about. Winning games like today is a great sign. 

Hemming was good when called upon. One of Haunstrup's better games today I thought. Murray is one of the best signings we've made in quite some time - a fantastic defender. Sanders looks like raw talent, prone to mistakes but with some clear ability - I think we can afford to let him develop, as long as he doesn't start to cost us games, which he is surely in danger of. Naismith was fine, though I still find him slow as a week in the jile at times. 

Thought the midfield trio of McGinn, Alston and Polworth all had poorer games by their standards. None of them were terrible, but they've set a pretty decent standard to date and didn't hit it. Second half this was summed up by Polworth failing to beat the first man at a corner, then minutes later absolutely wasting a free kick. 

McKenzie doesn't offer nearly enough going forward and I was happy to see him getting hooked for Armstrong, who I would have started - but I was even happier that he gave Wright good cause to change his mind! Great bit of following up, flung himself at it like a bullet, even if it was possibly going in any way!

Murray drifts in and out of games but feel when we get the ball to his feet in a good area we are always a danger. 

Shaw drifted in and out too, but when he was good he was very good. Looking to turn balls quickly and get through on goal, which is what you want. Can take a ball in and can flick it on well for a team mate. Hassles and makes a pest of himself. For me, a clearly better option than Cameron. 

I would be disappointed if we played like that every week as I don't think we'll always get the 3 points, but we take them and move on to two big games against our nearest competitors - Thistle and Arbroath. Lets open up a gap.