Greenock Morton match thread

Killie Conman

Rory should be doing much better at this level. He got a goal today and fair dos to him for being in right position. But he has been pretty poor this season. He is unwilling to take people on, he keeps coming to the ball when he needs to move away,most of the other times he is in a position where he is unable to be found by player in possession. I respect he’s loyal and works hard but he is hardly setting the heather alight in this league. 

Just now, Souleycouley93 said:

Rory should be doing much better at this level. He got a goal today and fair dos to him for being in right position. But he has been pretty poor this season. He is unwilling to take people on, he keeps coming to the ball when he needs to move away,most of the other times he is in a position where he is unable to be found by player in possession. I respect he’s loyal and works hard but he is hardly setting the heather alight in this league. 

Who is in our team 

3 minutes ago, Big sexy said:

I must have watching another game from everyone else i thought morton were better team today and looked more dangerous than we did 

I wouldn’t agree they were the better team. I thought they were poorer than when we played them in the cup. When we did things at a higher tempo they looked vulnerable. 

In terms of more dangerous yes they were. We were looking to be masters of our own downfall at times though. Certainly two of the biggest chances came from nothing and wouldn’t have been a threat if Sanders had done his job

46 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

A wins a win. Predictable home slog without X factor Burke. Good that TW still looking for somebody above squad player. We are a good championship side but not great. More needed. And time should allow improvement and we should run Inverness close. But another player needed to set us apart. I think shaw will get goals but still 3 positions need improvement for me.

Interesting standards to set (not a criticism, I should add, everyone entitled to their own) . A good championship team to me would mean one that might be in the mix to make the playoffs. We've won four out of five and only conceded once. To me looks like us and Caley clearly out in front and only question is who has the staying power. 

9 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Interesting standards to set (not a criticism, I should add, everyone entitled to their own) . A good championship team to me would mean one that might be in the mix to make the playoffs. We've won four out of five and only conceded once. To me looks like us and Caley clearly out in front and only question is who has the staying power. 

There's a difference between how teams have approached us and ICT. In the league cup ICT were honking, they were as bad as Dunfermline were good interestingly! Teams will have started the season thinking they'd take points from them. Teams have tried to stifle us and hit us when they get a chance, including ICT. If teams are now going to take ICT seriously it will be interesting to see how they deal with teams trying to strangle out a point. I think when this happens it will probably be the what shows us to be better than them.

They might prove me wrong but despite losing to them we looked like the side with more quality who would pick up more points across a season.

Edited by Fletch

Lack of urgency until about the 70th minute was worrying, we are not going to win games against better opposition by playing at not much more than walking pace.

FInal ball poor, the amount of times especially Polworth and Alston get into good positions and then hugely over- or under-hit their passes is shocking for supposedly experienced players.  

Even without Burke most of our threat comes from attacks down the right - for me I have yet to see any permutation of players on the left this season that looks like it can deliver any consistent threat. 

Don't get people saying Morton were the better team - we gifted them some chances first half and they were quite lively around our area for a spell, but in the second half they did absolutely nothing to try and win the game. Like another poster I thought Morton were far better when they came to RP in the League Cup.

That was absolutely turgid today, a very painful watch. Today is the first day I have really felt the difference of being down the leagues, Morton were rank rotten but we couldn’t break them down for the most part and allowed them some decent chances. 

It was amateur football from both sides for long parts of the game. 

Great to get 3pts but the least said about the game in terms of quality and entrainment the better. 

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

There's a difference between how teams have approached us and ICT. Teams have tried to stifle us and hit us when they get a chance, including ICT. If teams are now going to take ICT seriously it will be interesting to see how they deal with teams trying to strangle out a point. 

This is my instinct too, but I do think it's too early to make firm predictions. I  think we might get a resurgence from Accies and Dunfermline at some point which might make things interesting. It's a fun league this 

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

gregg-wallace-masterchef.gif.f3ed4cc4777a91b068a27c58054f2b7f.gif

I think the board was up for McKenzie to be substituted when he scored. He was having an awful game - as were most of his teammates. The fact the Murray was MoM by a mile tells its own story. We need to play better than that and TW needs to be brave enough to go with two up front especially at home. We don’t have the right players to support a single man up front. 

3 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

The first half was pretty painful although the second was a bit better but before Rory scored I was wanting Armstrong on in his place. Shaw didn’t get great service but his control let him down at times. OK I know it was against lower league opposition last week but surely Warnock deserves a place on the bench for a team badly lacking creativity. Robinson added some pace when he came on, shame Shaw didn't see him or went for glory. I would hope that Robinson starts next week and today was easing him back after injury.

I think Shaw absolutely did see him and TW should boot his arse for him not squaring the ball. 

Everyone moaning about the performance which is fair enough. We were poor. 

However today’s result is the kind of result that wins you league titles. Playing poorly and winning. Another clean sheet and I think we can go to Partick next week with confidence. They will probably try and play a bit more and this should allow more space for the more creative players. 

3 hours ago, Lorielus said:

That was a strange game, and even stranger I seem to have seen it differently to almost everyone on this thread as far as I can see.

I thought in the first half we played some excellent pass-and-move sequences to find a lot of space, particular on the right hand side in the first 20 minutes and then on the left corner of the box in the 15 minutes or so after that.  I thought McKenzie and Naismith looked a really promising combination in the first half, and I was delighted to see us trying to work the ball into the box rather than the aimless crosses we've been a bit guilty of this season.

Defensively we looked a bit vulnerable throughout - Sanders looked exposed on a few occasions much like the cup game, but (and I say this with the caveat that they've probably been the standouts of the season to date) I thought he got little help from McGinn and Euan Murray, both of whom seem to be relying on Sanders being the one to bring the ball out of defense and make a telling pass - of course, that may have been an instruction rather than their choice.

Second half I've no idea what the plan was, we seem to decide to no longer attempt any semblence of the passing that had made some space in the first half.  I can't even say we turned to hoofball as we didn't seem to really try that either, we just seemed to ask our centre halfs (Sanders mostly) to put it out wide into congested areas and (at best) win endless shies.  I genuinely wouldn't given a single player from the midfield forward passmarks for that second half performance - Polworth seemed to be in the huff, Shaw seemed to want to beat the entire defense himself, McKenzie and Naismith dwelt on the ball endlessly, Murray seemed only want to collect the ball deep rather than stretch the play and Alston seemed to be only playing in burst - all very disjointed.

I've also no idea why Polworth is taking the set plays in Burke's absence - the long, slow floated deliveries give keepers and defenders all the time in the world and remove our ability to attack a ball (already a weakness) Murray, McKenzie and even Haunstrup have better delivery, and I would expect Polworth to be a better option for trying to pick up a shot from any knock-down or second ball from them.

I know a win is a win, but we really need to get to a point where we can put in a performance over a whole match rather than fits and starts.

We didn’t win a single one of those long floated deliveries yet we persisted with them for every corner and free kick. 
You have to ask yourself what the hell TW and his team had them doing on the training pitch all week. Our set pieces were pathetic. 

34 minutes ago, Killie Conman said:

This is nonsense

Rory made quite a few mistakes today and I never heard howling

Twice in the first half he was favourite for a through ball and basically pulled out of the challenges

I heard no abuse of Rory for either of them

I also didn't hear any clapping for the mistakes of others

If on the other hand, what you said WAS actually true, I think a 70% vote would a fair indication of something being fairly accurate, unless you think the 30% have a much better football knowledge?

As a local player, I would love to see Rory offering us enough, to stop the negative comments on here, but unfortunately he doesn't do it 

Do you really think any fan wants a Killie player to fail?

He is unfortunately a very soft player, can't really tackle and doesn't score or create enough

Takes so many wrong options

Chases all day though

A lot of people thought, with us being down a level, Rory would stroll it

Not happening up to now

Block F Frank Beattie Stand there are a group of guys who give him pelters from the first minute until the last...I actually like McKenzie think he does a good job and does it in a number of positions...and was absolutely delighted he got the winner today...but each to their own opinion...

1 minute ago, jock said:

Block F Frank Beattie Stand there are a group of guys who give him pelters from the first minute until the last...I actually like McKenzie think he does a good job and does it in a number of positions...and was absolutely delighted he got the winner today...but each to their own opinion...

Same where I sit in the East. Such a weird thing 

5 minutes ago, jock said:

There is a huge space for a player like Rory in the squad. It almost sounds stupid say this as he scored the winner but games like today where the onus is on us to attack and take the game to opponents are not where he shines IMO. He didn’t look to drive forward, he didn’t put crosses in the box or create chances. He’s in there to replace Burke ahead of Armstrong and didn’t do near as much on the front foot as they have. Ultimately he scored though and that’s what will be remembered.