Greenock Morton match thread

Killie Conman

2 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Interesting standards to set (not a criticism, I should add, everyone entitled to their own) . A good championship team to me would mean one that might be in the mix to make the playoffs. We've won four out of five and only conceded once. To me looks like us and Caley clearly out in front and only question is who has the staying power. 

It’s margins in our wins and our defeat so far. We are not blowing teams away by 3 or 4. We are good but we are not showing in any games we are a class apart. I don’t expect that with this squad. Some do. I’m just tempering some of the over the top expectation. It will be a long tight season unless TW can bring in that different player - hard to find. He knows this by his comments this week. But we will run close to the top of league all season I believe.

1 hour ago, Loudoun Killie said:

Those announcements are utterly embarrassing.

It was a thing to boo when they were closed simply because it restricted us due to the presence of the Glasgow scum. It then became an ironic cheer when the gates were announced as opened. I agree though, no need now and sounds pathetic. 

Got what I expected after seeing the team at 2:30. Ground out a good result with a pretty turgid performance. To me that’s an away from home set up. No problem with going to away grounds and doing that. But at home to a team who will likely end up in the bottom 4 we should be a bit more adventurous and attacking. go and kill them. That could so easily have been a draw and they maybe deserved that on chances created. 
Rory McKenzie is absolutely a valuable squad player. Would get on the park in most games. Runs all day. But he’s basically a defender. I’d put Murray on the right too and get him rinsing full backs. Cuts inside all the time and it’s frustrating. 

Also I cant be the only one unconvinced by Polworth so far. Not sure he’s bringing much to the party at the minute. Ideal game for him today and posted missing.

anyway 3 more points so we move on.  I can defo see us and ICT fighting it out now. No sure anyone else will have the consistency. 

50 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

This is a fitba forum. Our team played poorly but we won. I'm pleased we won but we still did not play well. On another day we could have been well gubbed. 

Do you want, a forum of happy clappers?

No but I can do without the entirely negative criticism of the club by several contributors on this forum. I did not enjoy today's game either. What I look for here is a more constructive approach and less personal abuse.

It wasnt pretty, it wasn't a great performance and we struggled to break them down, but i think we will need to get used to that this season. We got the result and thats all that matters at the end of the day. 

A lot of teams will come to RP and be delighted with a draw so it'll be frustrating, hopefully be different away when teams come at us and it suits us.

Horrible, mundane, boring 1-0 wins every week will win us the league and on a Saturday night the fans will be happy. What will going with an attacking 442 achieve, maybe a 3-0 win... or maybe exposed and a defeat. We won a few games ugly under Clarke but at the end of the day the fans care about the result.... apart from on here.

Not sure what to make of this. We were rotten again yesterday as per the Inverness game and probably the QoS game but you can't argue with the results bar the Inverness game. I think we are hard to beat but we are not going to be promoted playing like this. Its one thing having the odd game like this but to consistently play poorly at home especially is not good enough. If Rory hits the post there we aren't winning that. I appreciate we aren't going to win games 3 or 4 nil each week but we need to show more. Results will in the end match performances, that's what Sir Steve always said and its true. 

The worry is Inverness, they seem to be on a roll, they have gone to Arbroath, Rugby Park and won but also beat Patrick at home. Looking at their fixtures I wouldnt be surprised if the won their next couple. We've now got to go to Arbroath and Thistle and win. 

Having looked at the teams in the Premiership I wouldn't fancy us in a playoff. 

Don't get me wrong I am pleased with the result, more relieved actually but there is a lot to work on, we look far too predictable, slow, ponderous with no guile and playing one up top doesn't help us get in behind. We look on the whole solid at the back which gives you a chance as was seen with our goal. 

18 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

Having looked at the teams in the Premiership I wouldn't fancy us in a playoff. 

There are five teams in the Premiership who haven’t won a game yet. Going by reports a couple of them don’t look like doing it anytime soon. In the first five games three of them have already conceded double figures.

Its far too early to be talking about winning leagues or playoffs but there is nothing at the bottom end of the Premiership to be scared of at the moment.

We should be targeting the league, we are the biggest team, the biggest squad budget, biggest amount of season tickets. Inverness did a job on us, pressed us high and kicked us when we broke and our bottle crashed big time. They got a goal that 9/10 times keeper saves easily. Won the other 4 games. I don’t like hearing Wright mentioning just promotion. He should be saying we want to win the league and that sets a standard to the players in the press.

Inverness bubble will burst eventually and when they like us the now lose a CB  captain and maybe a Creator like gardyne or someone we will see if they have squad depth to replace them and keep in the race. 

What we do need is to have more intent and urgency in our play miss out the middle man with passes and get overlapping to byline more. We are floating crosses in from thirty yards out most of the time. First cross /shot that went across six yard box yesterday we score 

Well over the top reaction saying we were ‘rotten’ played poorly all season etc. We can definitely play better, there is no doubt about that. However, I think because people are expecting a 3/4-0 most weeks if we don’t get that they are far too critical of the performance. 

Every game this season we have had more shots and possession than the opposition (apart from Inverness game where they had 1 or 2 more shots). Granted, this doesn’t always tell the whole story but does give a decent idea. We’ve also only conceded 1 goal in the league all season, so the defensive performance of the team has been very good. 

6 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

We should be targeting the league, we are the biggest team, the biggest squad budget, biggest amount of season tickets. Inverness did a job on us, pressed us high and kicked us when we broke and our bottle crashed big time. They got a goal that 9/10 times keeper saves easily. Won the other 4 games. I don’t like hearing Wright mentioning just promotion. He should be saying we want to win the league and that sets a standard to the players in the press.

Inverness bubble will burst eventually and when they like us the now lose a CB  captain and maybe a Creator like gardyne or someone we will see if they have squad depth to replace them and keep in the race. 

What we do need is to have more intent and urgency in our play miss out the middle man with passes and get overlapping to byline more. We are floating crosses in from thirty yards out most of the time. First cross /shot that went across six yard box yesterday we score 

For every one person that suggests TW should come out and say we want to win the league, there will be ten who think it makes us look entitled and act as added motivation to our opponents. But what he says in private to the players will be entirely different to what he’s saying to the media. We do want to win it. He’s even let it slip a few times in cup interviews. Relax people TW has got this. 

1 minute ago, Skora11 said:

Well over the top reaction saying we were ‘rotten’ played poorly all season etc. We can definitely play better, there is no doubt about that. However, I think because people are expecting a 3/4-0 most weeks if we don’t get that they are far too critical of the performance. 

Every game this season we have had more shots and possession than the opposition (apart from Inverness game where they had 1 or 2 more shots). Granted, this doesn’t always tell the whole story but does give a decent idea. We’ve also only conceded 1 goal in the league all season, so the defensive performance of the team has been very good. 

It’s very odd that I appear to be the most confident about us strolling the league and among the least troubled by these early performances. As I keep saying, consistency is the reason we’ll win rather than this misplaced belief we’ll bludgeon all our opponents into submission 

4 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

Just read the last cup,e of pages. All I have to say is WE WON.

Might as well close the forum down if all we can do is discuss the results of matches.

WE KNOW WE WON.

And that’s really important because the league is still settling down and the sooner we get points on the board the better.

Dunfermline would love to be in our position! So would Hamilton. But the issue is the manner of the win. As Souley says, we should be winning more convincingly when we have the best and biggest squad and have enjoyed overwhelming possession in almost every match.

The performances on the pitch are less than the sum of the parts and we are entitled to discuss why.

We are still too reliant on Burke for a creative spark and he has been below his best and is now injured. Who is stepping up to fill the gap? We should be getting more from some players who, as has repeatedly been said, could be playing in the Premiership.

It can’t be a lack of belief as we are getting results. Is it lack of desire, or just that we haven’t found the right combination yet?

Lots to discuss and, unlike Big Jake, I’ve seen much constructive criticism and no personal abuse.

We haven’t even completed one round of fixtures in what will be a very repetitive League. We will have a better picture once we have played everyone once, and again at the halfway point when we will need to be well in contention. I think it’s going to be competitive when others get their acts together and we need to exploit the advantages we have to give us an edge.

Much too soon to be concerned let alone panic, but time enough to ask why we aren’t performing as cohesively as we might expect.

Edited by skygod