Greenock Morton match thread

Killie Conman

to say it’s ok cause we won and that’s the stuff of champions is nonsense, we were absolutely abysmal and extremely lucky to get that win against a glorified amateur team. 

When I saw us attempt to hold the ball at the corner flag at 88mins at home against Morton I had seen enough. 

Im not one to jump on Rory and often actively encourage him but he was really poor today, as were all the forward players. Too many times we take the east pass back or lump it to nowhere. 

49 minutes ago, skygod said:

We haven’t even completed one round of fixtures in what will be a very repetitive League. We will have a better picture once we have played everyone once, and again at the halfway point when we will need to be well in contention. I think it’s going to be competitive when others get their acts together and we need to exploit the advantages we have to give us an edge.

Does that not apply to us as well? We’ve not really gotten our ‘act’ together yet have won 4 out of 5 and only conceded once. 

I think you can tell we have more quality than all the teams we have faced so far but not really blown anyone away yet. Although he 2nd half performances against Ayr and Hamilton were both very good. 

All the other teams in the league know we have more quality than them and have all made it hard for us to break down. Once we get going I can see us starting to take a few more goals off of some teams.

I don’t think we looked as in control in midfield yesterday as we have in previous games. We had less possession yesterday than we did against ICT. 

Teams are going to come to RP and sit in and defend, break the game up with fouls etc and look for a draw or to hit us on the break. I think it might be easier for us away from home at the likes of Partick as they will attack and we can stretch the game with Shaw and Murray. 

One issue I have with our possession is the quality of it. We pass the ball backwards and sideways a lot in defence and midfield. This is quite easy for the opposition to defend. I don’t think we are getting enough from our fullbacks Haunstrup in particular. He is quick but very rarely overlaps or gets to the bye line. When he has opportunities to do so he often cuts back inside or passes sideways or backwards.

Our midfield players in McGinn, Polworth, Alston are all tidy footballers who can retain possession but they don’t play passes that cut the lines often enough. 

When we are playing the likes of Morton we need someone who will pick up the ball in midfield and drive at the opposition to commit them and create space for others. McGinn, Alston and Polworth aren’t that type of player. 

Instead of having energy in midfield we are relying on the wide players to open up defences but this often generates crosses into a packed penalty box if the opposition are playing deep.

I’d like to see Fraser Murray played more centrally. He takes people on, he is quick and two footed. He can also finish with both feet. 

We need to play 2 up front at home. I’m not convinced about playing with two wingers who simply stay wide and don’t alternate. I’d like to see us playing a different system that poses different problems for the opposition than one striker, two wide men, three midfielders and a flat back four. 

We’d need to get more width from our fullbacks if we are dropping wide men or allowing our wide men to move around the pitch rather than being played in a rigid system which is easy to play against. 

This should be possible as we are often playing against teams with one man up front. 

However, whilst we are winning games I expect TW will continue with the system of play, 

If we can keep shaw robinson and burke fit for most of the season we should win the league as they are a class above the rest well burke Robinson are early signs from shaw look good just need first goal.

Our defence looks good only 1 goal in 5 keeper position also better level than the rest just need to get CM partnership sorted. Would like 2 c polworth McGinn given a go think they might b the answer.

It looks slow and cumbersome at times and for me this is because our midfield want 2 and 3 touches. Plenty of times they took a touch or 2 then played the same pass and they could have with their first touch. The times we moved it quickly we made chances. 
this is a confidence thing imho. 
I like how we are controlling games but wish we’d just take a chance and move the ball quicker 

It hit me midway through the first half, the realisation that this is the Championship and this is what we are reduced to. Was the standard of football really that bad when TB lead us in the opposite direction out of the division ? I remember our squad was mostly composed of players who were past their prime but still good footballers, I don't remember watching players struggle to control the ball or launching it skywards quite so often. To be fair the experience of TB, Bobby,McCluskey,Stark, Geddes, etc. were able to handle the pressure of gaining promotion and keeping us in the Premier League the following season. Very few of our current side have played at the level these players had and they only had to finish second. The pressure on this side to win the league is huge, dropping points to Caley only added to that pressure. At home I feel that our crowd are waiting for something to happen, I doubt if Caley in front of 2,148 yesterday felt the same pressure. I think we need somebody with more experience up front or in midfield to settle the team down and just use that experience so we're not so dependent on Burke being available for every game.

5 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

I think we need somebody with more experience up front or in midfield to settle the team down and just use that experience so we're not so dependent on Burke being available for every game.

More experience in midfield than Polworth, McGinn and Alston who have over 1,000 matches amongst them?

Or experience at a higher level?

15 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I'm pleased, well relieved really, that we got the points.

The goal came from a mistake by two of the Morton defenders running into each other and letting Fraser Murray get into a dangerous place in the box. His cross was put in by Rory at the back post. Nothing we did opened them up or created any chances. And it is a miracle the bonmbscare at the back did not cost us.

I would argue that Robinson on the penalty spot on his own and if Shaw had passed to him, opened them up.

27 minutes ago, CBFC said:

I would argue that Robinson on the penalty spot on his own and if Shaw had passed to him, opened them up.

Also had the one earlier where Shaw did get it across but just slightly behind Robinson.

We really had plenty of half-chances in the first half and a couple of really good chances in the second, but more from little individual patches of counterattacking play (goal aside) that really cohesive football.

4 hours ago, kfc_superteam said:

Not sure what to make of this. We were rotten again yesterday as per the Inverness game and probably the QoS game but you can't argue with the results bar the Inverness game. I think we are hard to beat but we are not going to be promoted playing like this. Its one thing having the odd game like this but to consistently play poorly at home especially is not good enough. If Rory hits the post there we aren't winning that. I appreciate we aren't going to win games 3 or 4 nil each week but we need to show more. Results will in the end match performances, that's what Sir Steve always said and its true. 

The worry is Inverness, they seem to be on a roll, they have gone to Arbroath, Rugby Park and won but also beat Patrick at home. Looking at their fixtures I wouldnt be surprised if the won their next couple. We've now got to go to Arbroath and Thistle and win. 

Having looked at the teams in the Premiership I wouldn't fancy us in a playoff. 

Don't get me wrong I am pleased with the result, more relieved actually but there is a lot to work on, we look far too predictable, slow, ponderous with no guile and playing one up top doesn't help us get in behind. We look on the whole solid at the back which gives you a chance as was seen with our goal. 

Will just have to beat them in the next 3 meetings.

You could argue that Charlie Adam was the player that elevated Dundee last year. He isn’t a box to box midfielder but he has the ability to pick a pass, deliver a ball from free kicks and popped up with a few important goals including against us in the play off. 

We need an experienced player coming down from a level above from either England or Scotland that will make the difference.

A bit like when Tommy Burns, Ian Durrant or Eremenko joined us or when Boyd rejoined us. I don’t know who that player is though. 

Looking at players with a connection to the club Bryson hasn’t played for St Johnstone this season but he is very similar to what we already have.  

I know we weren't great yesterday but if someone had offered me 4 wins out of 5 to start the season after we have put together a completely new squad I'd have bitten your hand off! I fully expect our performances to pick up over the coming weeks and if we can keep grinding out results when we don't play well, then happy days.

Also can't understand the criticism of the midfield 3. McGinn had his poorest game for us yesterday but on the whole I think Polworth, Alston and McGinn is a far more balanced and mobile midfield than we put on the park last season! If anything I think we need to work on the movement of the wingers and front players to open up the space to allow Alston and Polworth to play the defence splitting passes that they are both capable of.

17 minutes ago, Perthkillie said:

I know we weren't great yesterday but if someone had offered me 4 wins out of 5 to start the season after we have put together a completely new squad I'd have bitten your hand off! I fully expect our performances to pick up over the coming weeks and if we can keep grinding out results when we don't play well, then happy 

Just got back after a stopover in the Borders. Agree it wasn't great but I think we shaded it and deserved the points.

What it proved to me is that wd need to play Robison and Shaw together especially with Burke injured. We had all the better players and should be winning easily but I've seen Killie lose unluckily so many times I won't be losing sleep over a narrow win.

I think the cohesion and better play will come. At least the rot has been stopped and we're in a position to move forward. Given our usual starts I'd have settled for that!

Lot of Moaning about the pass quality.

first 20 minutes I thought we passed it about really well. Lot of passes through the lines and some decent moves between the midfield. Problem was Morton packed the box and left very little space for shots. After that the tempo dropped a lot. Jumped back up when Robinson came on.

We’re capable, it’ll come