A real captain!

Ngonge88

On 9/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, Fudger said:

Thought this was a post for big Ewan Murray today, that fella is a beast on the park. 

Fair play to Stokes here, touch of class. 

Me too as he has been class on the field. TW must have heard stories of Stokes to want to make him captain over Murray. 

The little things really matter and you might as well be useful when you are injured. 

4 hours ago, Dillinger said:

I mentioned this the other day in my MOTM vote, that it was my son's 8th birthday last week and two of the players sent him videos. A mate of mine had reached out to some players asking for videos for him as a surprise. Fraser Murray and Zach Hemming both got back with short videos, which was absolutely fantastic of them. Like any 8 year old, the wee man always has a current favourite player - over the years this has variously been Magennis, Boyd, Brophy, and now Hemming. So to get a video off him absolutely made his day!!

Love when players do stuff like that. It takes them all of 10 seconds, but the impact it has on the kids can't be measured.

Ive said it previously - the biggest asset the club has is the players. If you want to get local businesses and kids interested a happy birthday message from a player to a kid will mean the world to them. A retweet or a mention of a local business from a player is a bit of free advertising and can lead to sponsorship. This is the way of the world and a football players contract shouldn't just be about work on the park but what they can do off the park too. 

23 hours ago, Nutzkillie said:

Who would you have from last year that has left ? Kiltie, is the only other I would definitely have, but we have 2 players for the position with much more first team experience and are doing a really good job of it. 

The no brainers are findlay and power. I think broadfoot has show he’s a huge asset in this league given Inverness goals against column (he’s also scored in the league) and would have been a good partner for Murray. Haven’t seen enough of stokes to be sure he’s an upgrade. Haunstrup and Burke are still there. Pinnock on end season form would be a shout. But Findlay and power are a cut above anything else in other positions this season. That’s why they are playing at a higher level ( as are kiltie and brophy). Hemings, naismith, shaw and Robinson are clear upgrades. 

19 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

The no brainers are findlay and power. I think broadfoot has show he’s a huge asset in this league given Inverness goals against column (he’s also scored in the league) and would have been a good partner for Murray. Haven’t seen enough of stokes to be sure he’s an upgrade. Haunstrup and Burke are still there. Pinnock on end season form would be a shout. But Findlay and power are a cut above anything else in other positions this season. That’s why they are playing at a higher level ( as are kiltie and brophy). Hemings, naismith, shaw and Robinson are clear upgrades. 

Geez peace ffs, Broasfoot would be nowhere near this team.

39 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Is Kiltie injured?  Doesn't seem to have featured for them for a few weeks.

37 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

I don't see a place in that middle for Power. Kiltie isn't any better than Polworth or Robinson. Hard to tell between Brophy and Shaw, but Brophy was never prolific for us.

This league is too physical for Pinnock, Findlay of course would play, he was a smashing player. And Broadfoot? I assume you're only kidding.

I fully believe Broadfoot was part of the dressing room problems. See Aaron McGowans interview before the Hamilton game if need be

4 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

No

Okay, so I'll level with you slightly.

We've not seen a huge amount of Stokes on the park. I like what I've seen and my personal opinion is he's better than Broadfoot, yours isn't so that's fine, we all have different opinions on players.

You can see what Stokes is doing off the park, picking up tickets for fans, getting involved with charity stuff at mccallums. He is inspiring fans, what's he doing to teammates on and off the pitch?

As I pointed out, did you watch McGowans interview about the dressing room being shocking last year. There is a reason Broadfoot was offered a very very small deal.

The feeling of a connection between club and community is vital for a club like Killie.

For the Old Firm it feels like something negative - ie Jones’ notorious WATP nonsense. 

But for a provincial club it’s the way to get the fans and the town more generally onside. Small gestures like this are part of achieving that, along with other outreach work, tickets for school kids etc. The club had that feel in the early 90s. It was definitely lost last year.

Kilmarnock is a town that hasn’t had a lot of good news over the last 25 years. If ironically relegation has brought in new recruits who can make the town feel good on and off the park, then it can generate positive feeling and community. 

Lots of small gestures add up to changing perceptions and building loyalty.

Thanks to OP for posting.

35 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

One thing i will say about Killie as a club is that we have flipped it in terms of demographics in relation to our support. 

10 years ago we had an aging support, a dwindling away support and lack of youngsters coming to games. 

Night and day now. Carry a big away support nearly every game we play in and make plenty noise. 

Not since the late 90s have i seen as many kids about the town in Killie strips and long may it continue. 

Wee fella hangs about in tight class group of 6 of which 5 all go to Rugby Park.

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Wee fella hangs about in tight class group of 6 of which 5 all go to Rugby Park.

Brilliant - so different from when I was at school in Irvine in 60s. Me and my mate Killie the rest Hunz. Always thought it was shocking. Then Shellic won EC and lo and behold bandwagon jumpers. 

Edited by carpetfitter

2 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

Brilliant - so different from when I was at school in Irvine in 60s. Me and my mate Killie the rest Hunz. Always thought it was shocking. Then Shellic won EC and lo and behold bandwagon jumpers. 

I went to the Joes and it was a similar story. 17 boys in the class - four Killie, 12 Celtic and one St Mirren cos his dad was from Paisley. This was in the early 80s, so not much to attract you to Killie....one of my mates jumped from a Celtic family to Killie. Actually I think that's what made us become friends.

3 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

If they could all sample a league winning team this season the support through the schools would grow, look what happened with the Steve Clarke days.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

If they could all sample a league winning team this season the support through the schools would grow, look what happened with the Steve Clarke days.

Aye. Same with me growing up. 

2nd Division, 1st Division then bright lights of the Premier League.  Was great going to games as a kid back then. Stlll remember vividly full time against Hamilton and realising we were in the big time. 

Casual support will always be more drawn to a winning team than an exciting one. Obviously if we can do both that's the ideal.

The 'trick' is to take that potential support and make fanatics out of them. The way this is done is through the community work and players and staff at Killie being ambassadors for the club at all times. I know that can be demanding sometimes but most people are reasonable most of the time and will appreciate a little recognition without trying to monopolise it.

Above all make sure a visit to Rugby Park is a welcoming and pleasant experience for everyone.

For what it's worth I think we are like this most of the time. Something went horribly wrong in the previous couple of seasons and the dressing room issues led to a serious disconnect between team and fans. 

Success on the pitch isn't the be all and end all but it certainly helps the atmospherics around the club. A happy and together dressing room contributes to that success so maybe it's a virtuous circle?

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Killie said:

I went to the Joes and it was a similar story. 17 boys in the class - four Killie, 12 Celtic and one St Mirren cos his dad was from Paisley. This was in the early 80s, so not much to attract you to Killie....one of my mates jumped from a Celtic family to Killie. Actually I think that's what made us become friends.

I left the Joes in 1984 and the split was the same in my class, barring the Buddy. Might know who that is though. Did his dad not play for them briefly, a few  years before?

Edited by Killiefaetheferry

14 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

Okay, so I'll level with you slightly.

We've not seen a huge amount of Stokes on the park. I like what I've seen and my personal opinion is he's better than Broadfoot, yours isn't so that's fine, we all have different opinions on players.

You can see what Stokes is doing off the park, picking up tickets for fans, getting involved with charity stuff at mccallums. He is inspiring fans, what's he doing to teammates on and off the pitch?

As I pointed out, did you watch McGowans interview about the dressing room being shocking last year. There is a reason Broadfoot was offered a very very small deal.

I acknowledge stokes is an interesting signing. But I thought broadfoot was a great player for us and stokes has played only a handful of games. As I said, he may prove to be a better player but broadfoot has played at a much higher level during his career than stokes. This is fact. The rest is certainly down to opinion. Broadfoot is proving to be a very decent player in this league. It may be coincidence that Inverness record coincides with his signing but that’s like saying it was a coincidence that kille were a better side after the lafferty signing.

Stokes seems like an all round nice guy. It’s a bonus. But I’ll judge players based in what they do in the park. I’m likely in the minority but I’d rather have a team of horrible so and so’s that are winners than a team of nice guy losers. Hopefully in stokes case at least we have a captain that is both. But it’s early to say.