Davie Provan

skygod

On 9/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, Mclean07 said:

He is a miserable git. I played old men’s football on Wednesday against Gordon Smith. And he did score against me! Had a quick chat and he told us a few stories. Not keen at all in his Sevco connections, but seemed a nice enough chap. 

I found out where Gordon Smith lived when I was 9 (it was near the Maternity Home) and went and knocked on his door. I asked for his autograph and he was happy to sign my book and chat. I told him I was a Killie fan (i'd almost certainly be wearing a Killie top) and he talked affectionately about the club.

He was still with Rangers and it was just before the 1979 Scottish Cup Final. Rangers were playing Hibs and I wished him all the best for the game, although I was of course really hoping Hibs won.

Imagine that happening today. Some wee boy turns up at an Old Firm player's house for an autograph and a chat about his old team. Different times!

What I remember of him was that he played with some great players at Killie, Iain McCulluch, Ian Jardline, George Maxwell and the sadly missed Ian Fallis, who died in a car accident when with us, and others.

Provans ego became bigger than his hairdo, and for some reason after he left us he just had it in for us.

Horrible little man 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, Ayrshire Killie said:

I found out where Gordon Smith lived when I was 9 (it was near the Maternity Home) and went and knocked on his door. I asked for his autograph and he was happy to sign my book and chat. I told him I was a Killie fan (i'd almost certainly be wearing a Killie top) and he talked affectionately about the club.

He was still with Rangers and it was just before the 1979 Scottish Cup Final. Rangers were playing Hibs and I wished him all the best for the game, although I was of course really hoping Hibs won.

Imagine that happening today. Some wee boy turns up at an Old Firm player's house for an autograph and a chat about his old team. Different times!

Steve Clarke lived next door to Smith.

2 hours ago, Mikastar said:

What I remember of him was that he played with some great players at Killie, Iain McCulluch, Ian Jardline, George Maxwell and the sadly missed Ian Fallis, who died in a car accident when with us, and others.

Provans ego became bigger than his hairdo, and for some reason after he left us he just had it in for us.

Horrible little man 

Ian  Fallis yes sadly missed his brother a regular in the East Stand.

4 minutes ago, CBFC said:

When Provan came to the club from Port Glasgow juniors, (I think) he was a right half. For those younger fans, that is right midfield.

Dad and Rab Stewart were in charge of the reserves and thought he was better as a Right Winger. They coached him in that role and he went on to become an International Winger.

Dad felt let down by Provan when he left for Celtic. Very disappointed in him and the way he manoeuvred his transfer.

There has been nothing positive said by Provan about how he progressed at Killie. Without Killie, he possibly would not have achieved what he did.

That is a wonderful piece of inside information ... thanks for sharing.

I think his problem with us stemmed for the fairly shameful treatment of Eddie Morrison. Eddie gave him a lift to training from Port Glasgow and as well as being a club legend was an absolute gentleman. For some reason Willie Fernie didn't fancy him and he was punted without any fanfare at all. Not only that but Fernie paid by our standards good money for Rikki Bloody Sharp to replace him (don't think he actually scored a single goal for us). So the charitable me thinks Provan was disgusted at his mate's treatment. The uncharitable me think he was hacked off his lift had disappeared!