Arbroath Match Fred

CB

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Sat right behind him on Saturday, and there was absolutely no doubt he was telling players to play long balls. To the extent that he was genuinely raging when they didn’t. 

We’re starting to see his preferences clearly - 4-4-2, very direct football with ball forward as quickly as possible and very little attempt to build slowly from the back. Much as he always has been. 

If anything, I’m a little surprised at people who were so vocally determined that Wright get the job now raging that he’s doing exactly what you’d expect him to do. 

For what little it’s worth, I actually think it will succeed this season. But fans who think it’s going to be a season of playing beautiful football, I’d suggest they seriously reconsider their expectations. 

We’ll be pragmatic and go route one every time rather than slowing it down and playing passes. That’s what we signed up for though. 

I don't disagree, but there's a chasm of difference between expecting beautiful football and expecting tonight's approach.  We played fewer long balls when we had Kevin Kyle up front.  We also seem to be really bad at it.

6 minutes ago, Longballexpert said:

Come on tell me ? Alston has done more out on the right in 5min min than Rory did in 65min 

Tell you what?  At great lengths I explained why stats don't tell the whole picture for any player or team.  You keep saying "but my goals and assists" over and over.  By your logic, Alston has no goals or assists either.  Given by your measure that's the only way to judge an attacker, no one has contributed anything so far in this game.

Your inability to understand that you're arguing against yourself here is baffling.

For the record, I agree McKenzie had a bad game.  I don't think he was the worst of them as at least he got involved and covered his defensive duties, but he was just plain bad.  So far, I wouldn't give a single player pass marks in this game, and I think the manager's performance has been worst of all.

Edited by Lorielus

10 minutes ago, Lorielus said:

I don't disagree, but there's a chasm of difference between expecting beautiful football and expecting tonight's approach.  We played fewer long balls when we had Kevin Kyle up front.  We also seem to be really bad at it.

Likewise I don’t disagree. 

But this is Tommy Wright football. If I remember correctly the pre-appointment poll on here had Wright as overwhelming favourite amongst fans. Something like 80%?

Were they just voting on the basis of St Johnstone being successful with no thought for style of play? If so, they really need to realise this is 100% what they were championing. 

As I said, I still think it will work. I’ll even go out on a limb and say I think we’ll win the league. 

But in all seriousness, this is what the majority of fans were absolutely determined that they wanted. I think they ought to be able to own it now it’s coming to pass. 

Because I’m damn certain they’ll lap it up in a few months when it wins us the league. 

Edited by Travis

Just now, PrestersKtid said:

Armstrong or polworth. Murray been stinking. 
how many overhit deliveries do we need before we realise to take some off it 

He's been honking for a few games.

The goal v Morton Rory scored wasn't really an assist it was an attempt at goal going wide.

His cross for the first goal at Firhill last week was another slice of luck.

Earlier in the season he looked good but he's gone backwards for me