Arbroath Match Fred

CB

1 minute ago, kfc_superteam said:

Get a grip ffs. Yes it wasn't great but this myth that this is a part time team and we should be horsing them is ignorant. This isn't the seventies where part time teams have beer bellies and smoke 70 a day. These guys will have access to the gym, be into nutrition, probably go jogging (just like Kirk Broadfoot). Part time players also aren't necessarily in Scottish football bad players, probably better than some full time players. Danny Whitehall wouldn't get in that team. They are a horrible team to play against, and we struggled up there. They had the crowd with them, tight pitch, wind and gave us no time at all. For a part time team they looked the fittest team we've played this season. They never ran out if steam and were pressing us up until 97 mins. It was a good point. They are third for a reason. Again people on this forum obviously haven't seen Arbroath before this game. Teams in Scotland more often than not Assemble good teams not through a big budget but through building teams up through years. Dick Campbell has been there for 9 years. Not team outwith the big city clubs can buy all the best players in the lower leagues. 

Yes it was very frustrating but this championship is a horrible league. I for one am not enjoying it and the sooner we are back in the Premiership the better. We are doing fine points wise, we've only conceded 1 goal. Yes there is plenty to work on but we are getting results. Not pretty at times, horrendous to watch most of the time but the performances will hopefully come. We could have done what St Mirren and Patrick did when they came down. Thistle got relegated slightly unfairly and St Mirren nearly did before they came back up. 

Think we need a reality check. Incidentally here is a few results of note

Screenshot_20210924_215952.jpg.29223c1cdeaf3190d3aeef4e71ac1f25.jpg

Screenshot_20210924_220032.jpg

No!

If they spend 20 hours a week on football (and that's pushing it) does that mean they're twice as good as our fulltimers? 

If they are twice as good why the hell with our much vaunted budget didn't we sign them?

The truth is that they worked ard  (Dyer flashback) but are mostly pretty limited.

What's that say about us?

1 minute ago, kfc_superteam said:

Get a grip ffs. Yes it wasn't great but this myth that this is a part time team and we should be horsing them is ignorant. This isn't the seventies where part time teams have beer bellies and smoke 70 a day. These guys will have access to the gym, be into nutrition, probably go jogging (just like Kirk Broadfoot). Part time players also aren't necessarily in Scottish football bad players, probably better than some full time players. Danny Whitehall wouldn't get in that team. They are a horrible team to play against, and we struggled up there. They had the crowd with them, tight pitch, wind and gave us no time at all. For a part time team they looked the fittest team we've played this season. They never ran out if steam and were pressing us up until 97 mins. It was a good point. They are third for a reason. Again people on this forum obviously haven't seen Arbroath before this game. Teams in Scotland more often than not Assemble good teams not through a big budget but through building teams up through years. Dick Campbell has been there for 9 years. Not team outwith the big city clubs can buy all the best players in the lower leagues. 

Yes it was very frustrating but this championship is a horrible league. I for one am not enjoying it and the sooner we are back in the Premiership the better. We are doing fine points wise, we've only conceded 1 goal. Yes there is plenty to work on but we are getting results. Not pretty at times, horrendous to watch most of the time but the performances will hopefully come. We could have done what St Mirren and Patrick did when they came down. Thistle got relegated slightly unfairly and St Mirren nearly did before they came back up. 

I’ll give you a reality check. That was utter s**te to watch from beginning to end. If it was not for E Murray and  Henning we could and should have lost about 3-0. But even if we had won 1-0 that is not something I’d want to spend time or money watching. Wright will know what he is expecting, bot we’ve played at least 10 games now. They’ve mostly been like that whether we win lose or draw. 

5 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

Screenshot_20210924_215911.jpg

Kinda forced to agree with you. The key phrase for me is it was horrible to watch.

17 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

See, I have never been convinced by Wright. I still maintain he was at least in part culpable for taking us down in the first place. He seemed particularly stubborn in his team selections towards the end of the season when we were sliding inexorably into the second bottom spot. It seemed almost wilful. He then presided over the feeblest, meekest playoff relegation since they were introduced in Scotland. It was genuinely embarrassing. 

This season he appears to be determined to assemble a team full of earnest huffing and puffing and entirely devoid of creativity and pace. 
There’s still time to bring in loan players and would love to see a playmaker in our midfield. Mind you, might be little point if the tactics are hoofball. 

I was really vocally against his appointment when there seemed to be an absolute tsunami of Killie fans who couldn’t see past him. Primarily because this is how his teams have always played, and I’ll always dream that we can be something more than ‘pragmatic’. 

I’ll always want us to dream the idealistic dream. Probably because all my Killie thoughts are tinged by the Tommy Burns appointment. 

I was disappointed that he didn’t make bigger changes last season, and it could have been stubbornness or, that word again, a genuinely pragmatic approach to the shower of s**t he inherited. 

To be honest, the main hope I now have is that he has assembled a genuinely earnest, honest squad. I get a genuine sense that they really appreciate being Killie players, and I really do think there’s proper quality there which will come to the fore. For all my anti-Wright rhetoric, I think he’ll win us the Championship and have built us a solid foundation to progress.

I think we need to be resilient this season. We’re going to have to ride the punches of not playing attractive, expansive football. And we won’t cruise every game. But thankfully we’re not a soft pushover anymore, and I’m happy to stick my neck out and say we’ll win the league despite everything above. 

Ultimately, we can’t be too precious and worry about embarrassment. We’ve got to get down and dirty in a tough league against some very shrewd operators to succeed. And ultimately that experience will stand us well for the following season. 

Call me mental, but there’s something quite pure about the kind of experience we had tonight. The antithesis of prawn sandwich football. It’ll serve us well next season. 

Edited by Travis

11 minutes ago, aldo71 said:

??????? the ultimate happy clapping quote.  Jesus wept ?‍♂️

Haha I take it you expect us to steamroll every club we play. Some folk need to get real, yes it was a crap performance but we've had far worse. It's like some folk on here have never followed killie before. 

1 minute ago, Crocket said:

yes it was a crap performance but we've had far worse. 

Name a time in the last 50 years when we played worse football than in the second half tonight. I can’t think of many. If that’s the way we’re going to play for the rest of the season there will be 15 men and a dog there by the end of it. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Sat right behind him on Saturday, and there was absolutely no doubt he was telling players to play long balls. To the extent that he was genuinely raging when they didn’t. 

We’re starting to see his preferences clearly - 4-4-2, very direct football with ball forward as quickly as possible and very little attempt to build slowly from the back. Much as he always has been. 

If anything, I’m a little surprised at people who were so vocally determined that Wright get the job now raging that he’s doing exactly what you’d expect him to do. 

For what little it’s worth, I actually think it will succeed this season. But fans who think it’s going to be a season of playing beautiful football, I’d suggest they seriously reconsider their expectations. 

We’ll be pragmatic and go route one every time rather than slowing it down and playing passes. That’s what we signed up for though. 

I was very much in favour of TW being appointed but if that’s what he’s in favour of I’m not sure he’s the right man. 

17 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

Screenshot_20210924_215911.jpg

All very well but none of this mentions the fact that our manager sent a team out and watched them playing totally ineffective tactics for 90 minutes without changing a thing. 

10 minutes ago, historyman said:

I was very much in favour of TW being appointed but if that’s what he’s in favour of I’m not sure he’s the right man. 

I know I’m very much in ‘told you so’ territory here, but this is literally what you were all calling for at the time. 

If anything, I’m baffled at the amount of surprise. (I’m trying not to quote Radiohead here!)

Killie fans getting exactly what they asked for then being raging about it is where we are at. So, to borrow from Tommy’s own pragmatism, f**k it, we might as well buy into it. It’s going to be ugly as f**k but it’ll get us promoted. 

And ultimately I’ll take it!

Edited by Travis

20 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Wright pretty clear in the Killie TV interview - unhappy with the performance, said to the players if we went long ball and matched them it would be a long night so he told them to be more bold on the ball

Disappointed he couldn't do more to change that as he watched the game play out. He needs to do more to get them out of that habit. 

‘Disappointed he couldn’t do more’? Are the players running things again? 

5 minutes ago, G said:

Just gone top of our league and in the automatic promotion place and yet we still have to suffer the negativity on here. What are supporters actually expecting this season?

Another well earned point Killie. Well done. 

Yes, it’s a valuable point, through luck rather than design. 
I’d say it was a very badly earned point, rather than one that was well earned.

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I know I’m very much in ‘told you so’ territory here, but this is literally what you were all calling for at the time. 

If anything, I’m baffled at the amount of surprise. (I’m trying not to quote Radiohead here!)

Killie fans getting exactly what they asked for about then being raging about it is where we are at. So, to borrow from Tommy’s own pragmatism, f**k it, we might as well buy into it. It’s going to be ugly as f**k but it’ll get us promoted. 

And ultimately I’ll take it!

Sadly, unfortunately I don’t think we will get promoted with continued performances like that. Despite not losing goals we won’t win many games with one shot on target. I don’t think anyone could complain if we had lost tonight. 

1 minute ago, historyman said:

Sadly, unfortunately I don’t think we will get promoted with continued performances like that. Despite not losing goals we won’t win many games with one shot on target. I don’t think anyone could complain if we had lost tonight. 

I’d happily take that bet. We’ll get promoted. 

For what it’s worth, I also think we’ll win the league. And I’ll happily take some ugly s**t along the way. It won’t be easy, but I reckon we’ve got the quality, allied to that pragmatism, that will see us through over a whole season, even if we need to experience some less than thrilling games along the way. 

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Kilmarnock fans are dicks. 

Or the majority on here are, we’ve had years of s**te teams with the odd sprinkling of success and folk are raging at a draw at Arbroath, get a grip we’re Kilmarnock and we are where we are.

Top of the league.

It’s not the point it’s the manner of the performance IMO. It was half hearted effort second to everything from most of the players in stripes tonight. A failure to do even the basics.

All things considered a point is not the worst but we have to play better than that. We can’t just show up and expect to take something from games we have to make it happen

I kind of get the pragmatic approach that TW is allegedly playing to get us promoted this season , but if that’s going to be his approach should we make it back to the Premier league we’d better prepare for immediate relegation . 
I thought he was going to do a root and branch clear out and replace the deadwood with improvements ? Instead we’ve got ,as someone previously pointed out , a Clone FC of last years ensemble .
He is rapidly running out of the feel good capital from the fans ,who’s only desire is to see something approaching football on the pitch , tactics adhered too and a definite shape and plan to our play . 
Hoofball is very easy to defend against especially when we haven’t the type of players that can play it to any decent standard .

I bet there are a few managers in the championship tonight reassessing how they’re going to play us . 

1 goal conceded in 7.

we’d have begged for that kind of defence last season.

hearts conceded 24 all last season. If we can continue the way we are then we’ll be there or there abouts end of the season.

we were dragged down to arbroaths level tonight. and were truly atrocious in attack, panicky.

But we’ve shown in most games this season that we’re capable of some nice crisp passing and decent interchanges. Polworth and Mcginn normally involved. We still created 2/3 decent opportunities tonight when we kept the ball on the deck. 
the fact we resort to long ball at times is a large part to do with the opposition. 

every team we’ve played press relentlessly and sit deep. Arbroath we’re great tonight and never gave us a second.

3 minutes ago, Travis said:

I’d happily take that bet. We’ll get promoted. 

For what it’s worth, I also think we’ll win the league. And I’ll happily take some ugly s**t along the way. It won’t be easy, but I reckon we’ve got the quality, allied to that pragmatism, that will see us through over a whole season, even if we need to experience some less than thrilling games along the way. 

Craig Telfer on the Terrace podcast this week, after watching us as Thistle, made the prediction that we'll win the league, possibly even by a good few points, but also be the dullest champions ever. I wouldn't be surprised if that came to pass. 

The thing that I always think is lacking in the "delusional if you think we'll win" posts is any reference to the other teams. At the moment Caley look the only side even remotely likely to keep stringing results together. Don't mean there aren't plenty dangerous teams, but they all look really patchy it terms of form. 

Saying there's a good chance we'll win the league isn't the same as saying we're particularly good or interesting, and I think a lot of people bundle those all together. 

I admit to being a happy clapper. 
Arbroath were the best team I’ve seen us play so far this season. They hammered Dunfermline, Partick & Hamilton.

That was utter s**t from us - terrible. No denying it. 
But we scraped a draw from the jaws of defeat and that’s what championship winners do. We stopped the top scorers in the league scoring. 

I remember such classics as 6-2 Inverness, 3-0 Livi, 3-0 Ayr, 2-0 Ayr, 1-0 Ayr, 6-2 Stirling Albion- to name a few. To say that was one of the worst performances ever seen by a killie team is ludicrous. 

Just a week ago we were talking about how great we were against Partick. Now we’re top of the league having conceded 1 goal and people want TW sacked? Holy s**t. is this your first game?