Arbroath Match Fred

CB

12 minutes ago, Travis said:

I’d happily take that bet. We’ll get promoted. 

For what it’s worth, I also think we’ll win the league. And I’ll happily take some ugly s**t along the way. It won’t be easy, but I reckon we’ve got the quality, allied to that pragmatism, that will see us through over a whole season, even if we need to experience some less than thrilling games along the way. 

That was dire tonight but i agree we will win league this is the worst championship in recent years if we cant past teams like Inverness Arbroath God help us.

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

I admit to being a happy clapper. 
Arbroath were the best team I’ve seen us play so far this season. They hammered Dunfermline, Partick & Hamilton.

That was utter s**t from us - terrible. No denying it. 
But we scraped a draw from the jaws of defeat and that’s what championship winners do. We stopped the top scorers in the league scoring. 

I remember such classics as 6-2 Inverness, 3-0 Livi, 3-0 Ayr, 2-0 Ayr, 1-0 Ayr, 6-2 Stirling Albion- to name a few. To say that was one of the worst performances ever seen by a killie team is ludicrous. 

Just a week ago we were talking about how great we were against Partick. Now we’re top of the league having conceded 1 goal and people want TW sacked? Holy s**t. is this your first game?

Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and the Huns all struggled in this league but self entitled moaning Killie fans are annoyed tonight, sack the board, hang the manager and then we can complain about something else 

4 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Craig Telfer on the Terrace podcast this week, after watching us as Thistle, made the prediction that we'll win the league, possibly even by a good few points, but also be the dullest champions ever. I wouldn't be surprised if that came to pass. 

The thing that I always think is lacking in the "delusional if you think we'll win" posts is any reference to the other teams. At the moment Caley look the only side even remotely likely to keep stringing results together. Don't mean there aren't plenty dangerous teams, but they all look really patchy it terms of form. 

Saying there's a good chance we'll win the league isn't the same as saying we're particularly good or interesting, and I think a lot of people bundle those all together. 

I think a lot of the negativity is still comparing us to Premier quality. We’re not in that league, and have a generation of fans who’re only just waking up to how different things are for us now. We’re a decent Championship team, which is as much as we have any right to hope for right now.

For example, Dick Campbell will probably never be a top-league manager, but he’s a proper star of Scottish football. Yet we take them for mugs then get raging about taking a point off a team in really good form  

I don’t think we’re overly dull. I’ve seen worse. I’ve seen better. But in the context of the Championship we’re a good team with significant potential, and that’s all I could ask right now given last season’s s**t show and the entire new team.

All I really want is is to be good enough to get promoted. After that, to be good enough to win the league.

From what I’ve seen, we’ve got both.  I’ll take that for now. 

Not pretty. Taken 10 / 12 points from 4 difficult away grounds. Ended up in the man stand about 10 feet from TW. Wouldn’t fancy being on the bus home with him. He was raging. Screaming at them to pass the fkn ball. Poor show not acknowledging the fans many who have taken time off. Great town and people though. Very welcoming. 

1 hour ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Every game I’ve watched has been more or less like that. We are stinking and I think I’ve got better things to do than watch much more of that. Complete and utter pish from beginning to end. I’m not going to single out players for stick. Hemming and E Murray get pass marks that’s it. 

I’m glad other people see it. I feel like I’m losing my mind. I don’t think we were much worse than at other times this season. Result glossing over performance in those instances. 

16 minutes ago, Monk said:

I remember such classics as 6-2 Inverness, 3-0 Livi, 3-0 Ayr, 2-0 Ayr, 1-0 Ayr, 6-2 Stirling Albion- to name a few. To say that was one of the worst performances ever seen by a killie team is ludicrous. 

Gretna (A) (at Fir Park) took the biscuit for me .... "Your NOT fit to wear the shirt" (They Sang!)

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

For example, Dick Campbell will probably never be a top-league manager, but he’s a proper star of Scottish football. Yet we take them for mugs then get raging about taking a point off a team in really good form 

This is pure pedantry/trivia really, but he was a top-league manager for a little while at Dunfermline when he took over from Paton I think in 1999 before they got relegated.

1 hour ago, Crocket said:

Haha I take it you expect us to steamroll every club we play. Some folk need to get real, yes it was a crap performance but we've had far worse. It's like some folk on here have never followed killie before. 

No I don't. But I expect ( budget accepted) desire , commitment,   creativity,  imagination.  Seen none of it . One save their keeper had , ONE ffs. You clap away and say " we had an off night " again. It will catch up on us

1 hour ago, kfc_superteam said:

Get a grip ffs. Yes it wasn't great but this myth that this is a part time team and we should be horsing them is ignorant. This isn't the seventies where part time teams have beer bellies and smoke 70 a day. These guys will have access to the gym, be into nutrition, probably go jogging (just like Kirk Broadfoot). Part time players also aren't necessarily in Scottish football bad players, probably better than some full time players. Danny Whitehall wouldn't get in that team. They are a horrible team to play against, and we struggled up there. They had the crowd with them, tight pitch, wind and gave us no time at all. For a part time team they looked the fittest team we've played this season. They never ran out if steam and were pressing us up until 97 mins. It was a good point. They are third for a reason. Again people on this forum obviously haven't seen Arbroath before this game. Teams in Scotland more often than not Assemble good teams not through a big budget but through building teams up through years. Dick Campbell has been there for 9 years. Not team outwith the big city clubs can buy all the best players in the lower leagues. 

Yes it was very frustrating but this championship is a horrible league. I for one am not enjoying it and the sooner we are back in the Premiership the better. We are doing fine points wise, we've only conceded 1 goal. Yes there is plenty to work on but we are getting results. Not pretty at times, horrendous to watch most of the time but the performances will hopefully come. We could have done what St Mirren and Patrick did when they came down. Thistle got relegated slightly unfairly and St Mirren nearly did before they came back up. 

Think we need a reality check. Incidentally here is a few results of note

Screenshot_20210924_215952.jpg.29223c1cdeaf3190d3aeef4e71ac1f25.jpg

Screenshot_20210924_220032.jpg

Screenshot_20210924_215911.jpg

Just because you write a lot of words doesn't mean you make sense.  By your logic we should just go part-time and save a lot of money. Crowd behind them? ?? Tight pitch? ?? Looked better than RP. Assemble good teams over 9 years ?? Please. We are shocking, a manager looking more like a dinosaur every game. The Bowie regime continues to decline. Patience being lost.

15 minutes ago, Lorielus said:

This is pure pedantry/trivia really, but he was a top-league manager for a little while at Dunfermline when he took over from Paton I think in 1999 before they got relegated.

I did mean in future. 

Though fair play to him If he proves me wrong. 

Edited by Travis

26 minutes ago, Monk said:

I admit to being a happy clapper. 
Arbroath were the best team I’ve seen us play so far this season. They hammered Dunfermline, Partick & Hamilton.

That was utter s**t from us - terrible. No denying it. 
But we scraped a draw from the jaws of defeat and that’s what championship winners do. We stopped the top scorers in the league scoring. 

Just a week ago we were talking about how great we were against Partick. Now we’re top of the league having conceded 1 goal and people want TW sacked? Holy s**t. is this your first game?

I said , worst performance in my long memory ( but relatively). We've been crap in games when out our depth. Crap when up against comparative teams. But that was appalling against a part time team who's budget will be a fraction of ours. ONE shot at goal, keeper saved . ONE.  Then we were 2nd , sometimes not even that to loose balls. I've seen us lose to montrose,  Brechin,  Stirling albino. But we were at their level. Nobody should accept that tonight as just a bad day at the office. We weren't great at firhill, anybody who says we were are deluded. It was hoofball there too. But go ahead sticknthe head in the sand and say but but but we're top of the league ( in September) ?

1 minute ago, Travis said:

I did mean in future. 

Though fair play to him If he proves me wrong. 

I mean if he was to get Arbroath promoted it would genuinely be one of the great all-time scottish football achievements to get a part time club into the SPL.  I'd love to see it as long as it didn't come at cost to us!

Disappointing that we didn't learn from the conditions, Hemming bailed us out on a few occasions but surely he could see that he didn't need to give his kick outs the full welly in the second half. Very few occasions where we had any sustained possession just lobbed the ball forward hoping someone would get on the end of it. The commentators were trying to talk the game up but it was mostly devoid of any skilful play. A point gained but Caley took three points there and can go three ahead again tomorrow. We were given a chance to show that we are a Premiership team in waiting but didn't do it on this display. 

1 minute ago, Wrangodog said:

Disappointing that we didn't learn from the conditions, Hemming bailed us out on a few occasions but surely he could see that he didn't need to give his kick outs the full welly in the second half. Very few occasions where we had any sustained possession just lobbed the ball forward hoping someone would get on the end of it. The commentators were trying to talk the game up but it was mostly devoid of any skilful play. A point gained but Caley took three points there and can go three ahead again tomorrow. We were given a chance to show that we are a Premiership team in waiting but didn't do it on this display. 

Aye that was the most annoying thing to me, I thought after 60 mins the players would’ve noticed the wind and adapted.

1 minute ago, maxyboy said:

Having sat on the result, s**te game, sometimes you just need to not lose those games in order to win the league. Lessons to be learned, players need to be braver I’m sure TW will sort it out. 

I'd accept a draw away from home in a hard fought competitive game. Nobody could argue. You'd put your hands up and say " good game, unlucky not to come away with a win , but accept a point at a difficult venue, but only IF we had matched them for desire , commitment and creativity.  Made the keeper work, created chances ,  had shots at goal. But not that tonight.  We were lucky to get a point. If they had won by 3 clear goals could we complain? They hit the woodwork twice , hemming made at least two saves , the missed even should've done better.  We had Shaws turn and shot , that was it !!! 

'Worst football played by a Killie side in 50 years tonight'?! Help ma boab. The list of 'worst' performances in that time frame (and I have seen the vast majority of them), doesn't come close to tonght...yes it was poor, yes, we didn't try to properly adapt to the wind, by not simply launching the ball particularly in the 2nd half, yes, Arbroath (1 defeat this season btw) were the better side, but.....we did actually defend well on the whole. Clearly we need to be much better in the final middle to front, no question.

However, the Championship is going to involve games like that tonight...None of Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or Utd regularly steamrollered teams in the Championship away from home, so overall a return of 4pts away v Partick and Arbroath is not a disaster.

We could still really do with another option up front, either from the bench or starting, something 'different' to Shaw, Robinson and Cameron (all 3 of whom are 'fine'), but what if say 2 of them get injured?

20% through our league season and I think we all now have a better idea of what’s to come. That was an awful game of football tonight. Genuinely terrible. But we didn’t lose. I can’t say I’m thrilled with that but in the cold light of day it’s a point away to an in form team in our league. 

I think we all need to get our head around this team is built for the league we are in. There will be some more absolute stinkers to come. Our away results are brilliant to be fair. I’m more concerned by our home performances. I’d love to see us go beat Raith 4-0 next week but I really can’t see it. We are just an extremely functional, no frills, championship side. I think we’ve all seen that now. 

I expected more to be honest but I am adjusting my expectations from now on. I think we’ll have the odd excellent win (see Partick) and the odd bad loss (Inverness) but to me we are set up to be an absolute Par machine. Nick Faldo style.  We’ll probs have enough to get the results  we need 90% of the time. I predict 68-75 points. 

This really wont be pretty. I feel oddly deflated yet at the same time surer than ever that we are winning this league. 1 nil wins and 0-0 draws a plenty. Can’t see us being anyone’s second team but we are built to bludgeon our way to promotion. 

I don’t doubt the need for pragmatism and have never thought we would easily win the league. In fact I’ve never been totally confident we WILL win the league. I’ve embraced where we are, lowered my expectations accordingly and afforded the respect that the other teams in this  league deserve. But f**k me it’s turgid stuff. Won’t complain if it gets us promoted but a little flair wouldn’t go amiss. It might even help. Have a concern that even if we continue to accrue points at the same rate with the style we’ve adopted, crowds are going to tail off if people aren’t actually enjoying the football.