Arbroath Match Fred

CB

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I admit to being a happy clapper. 
Arbroath were the best team I’ve seen us play so far this season. They hammered Dunfermline, Partick & Hamilton.

That was utter s**t from us - terrible. No denying it. 
But we scraped a draw from the jaws of defeat and that’s what championship winners do. We stopped the top scorers in the league scoring. 

I remember such classics as 6-2 Inverness, 3-0 Livi, 3-0 Ayr, 2-0 Ayr, 1-0 Ayr, 6-2 Stirling Albion- to name a few. To say that was one of the worst performances ever seen by a killie team is ludicrous. 

Just a week ago we were talking about how great we were against Partick. Now we’re top of the league having conceded 1 goal and people want TW sacked? Holy s**t. is this your first game?

We were praised after the Patrick game because we played well but that certainly wasn’t the case tonight. We were outplayed and deserved nothing from the game. 

Game went exactly as I expected, we were pretty rubbish but managed to grind out what could be an important point. They are absolutely flying at the moment and scoring goals for fun against teams that have more resources than they do, so we need to respect that. A defeat for Inverness tomorrow would make it a good weekend.

3 minutes ago, historyman said:

We were praised after the Patrick game because we played well but that certainly wasn’t the case tonight. We were outplayed and deserved nothing from the game. 

We were praised. Rightly so at Patrick. Tough away game and won with something to spare. We did fine tonight. It’s a horrible place to play. Not even playing field. A good point. As Ive said. We are a good championship side. Not great. We lack the special player but we are good at this level and I think the team deserves credit fir the start. Not a time to be critical.

23 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

'Worst football played by a Killie side in 50 years tonight'?! Help ma boab. The list of 'worst' performances in that time frame (and I have seen the vast majority of them), doesn't come close to tonght...yes it was poor, yes, we didn't try to properly adapt to the wind, by not simply launching the ball particularly in the 2nd half, yes, Arbroath (1 defeat this season btw) were the better side, but.....we did actually defend well on the whole. Clearly we need to be much better in the final middle to front, no question.

However, the Championship is going to involve games like that tonight...None of Rangers, Hearts, Hibs or Utd regularly steamrollered teams in the Championship away from home, so overall a return of 4pts away v Partick and Arbroath is not a disaster.

We could still really do with another option up front, either from the bench or starting, something 'different' to Shaw, Robinson and Cameron (all 3 of whom are 'fine'), but what if say 2 of them get injured?

I’m not expecting us to steamroller teams and win the league at a canter. However, I’m equally not expecting practically every player to hoof the ball forward to no one in particular every time they get it when it’s patently clear that is doing us no go whatsoever. We barely strung two passes together all night. 

Exactly. Maybe those of us who are less than enthusiastic about the standard do have a sense of entitlement that their team will actually try to play some football. The most entertaining football I've seen from us over the years were usually in the lower league (73/74, 78/79, 92/93) so I'm not buying this dogfight crap that means we can't expect to see a decent game of football in this league. The people with a sense of entitlement are those at the club who take for granted that fans will continue to show up to watch this pish. Folk have better things to do with their time.

Disappointed with performance but a decent result in grand scheme of things. Just home from a hell of a mission to get up and back after work. All things considered we will still win the league it is a marathon not a sprint. Perspective needed, just slightly disappointed by a team like ours getting dragged into a shelling match with the shellmeisters. 

Arbroath were excellent at what they do with wind at their back. Second half I hoped we would have taken control but Arbroath pressed us high and barely allowed us to play 2/3 consecutive passes. Pish performance but next week a win and nobody remembers it.

I had a relatively short journey and expense to watch that so called entertainment tonight but if I had travelled by planes, trains and automobiles like it seems some had and the cost of accommodation on top I would be feeling very short changed to say the least.

Thats my sixth game in person this season. We were a virtually new team gelling but that excuse doesn’t wash now. Result over performance is fine up to a point but the eagerness clearly instructed and practiced to get the ball back to Hemming to launch upfield to occasionally pick out a teammate is getting tedious.

I do think we will win the league as we don’t concede many and the competition is poor. ICT seem a similarly dogged team who will grind out results consistently like ourselves but it is purgatory to watch. Tonight was grim in the entertainment department and the only positive was a point gained when we could and should have lost. 

I will be delighted if we go up as champions of course but football is about entertaining as well as winning. Grinding out wins and draws is fine as a means to an end but if TW is hoping to attract and keep the floating fans who want to see a team playing reasonably attractive football rather than those of us who will turn up regardless, then the turgid football we have had to endure in most games this season simply isn’t going to be accepted.

9 minutes ago, Galdunc11 said:

I had a relatively short journey and expense to watch that so called entertainment tonight but if I had travelled by planes, trains and automobiles like it seems some had and the cost of accommodation on top I would be feeling very short changed to say the least.

Thats my sixth game in person this season. We were a virtually new team gelling but that excuse doesn’t wash now. Result over performance is fine up to a point but the eagerness clearly instructed and practiced to get the ball back to Hemming to launch upfield to occasionally pick out a teammate is getting tedious.

I do think we will win the league as we don’t concede many and the competition is poor. ICT seem a similarly dogged team who will grind out results consistently like ourselves but it is purgatory to watch. Tonight was grim in the entertainment department and the only positive was a point gained when we could and should have lost. 

I will be delighted if we go up as champions of course but football is about entertaining as well as winning. Grinding out wins and draws is fine as a means to an end but if TW is hoping to attract and keep the floating fans who want to see a team playing reasonably attractive football rather than those of us who will turn up regardless, then the turgid football we have had to endure in most games this season simply isn’t going to be accepted.

Spot on. 

Biggest budget in league and fans are happy with a draw away to part timers. 

Tonight was howling. 

2 hours ago, PrestersKtid said:

1 goal conceded in 7.

we’d have begged for that kind of defence last season.

hearts conceded 24 all last season. If we can continue the way we are then we’ll be there or there abouts end of the season.

we were dragged down to arbroaths level tonight. and were truly atrocious in attack, panicky.

But we’ve shown in most games this season that we’re capable of some nice crisp passing and decent interchanges. Polworth and Mcginn normally involved. We still created 2/3 decent opportunities tonight when we kept the ball on the deck. 
the fact we resort to long ball at times is a large part to do with the opposition. 

every team we’ve played press relentlessly and sit deep. Arbroath we’re great tonight and never gave us a second.

Arbroath's level. At least they could string a few passes together,  threaten going forward and easily mop up any of our attacks and frankly play better football.

42 minutes ago, Ken T said:

Exactly. Maybe those of us who are less than enthusiastic about the standard do have a sense of entitlement that their team will actually try to play some football. The most entertaining football I've seen from us over the years were usually in the lower league (73/74, 78/79, 92/93) so I'm not buying this dogfight crap that means we can't expect to see a decent game of football in this league. The people with a sense of entitlement are those at the club who take for granted that fans will continue to show up to watch this pish. Folk have better things to do with their time.

There were a lot of dreadful games in the 92/93 season. We just forget about them as the years go by. 

Until we got George McCluskey onto a game, we were utterly mediocre that season. 

That was grim viewing. If the tactics are long diagonal balls, you should be aiming to win more than 5% of said long balls.

If the tactics are to let them win the long ball, and pounce on the 2nd ball, you should be aiming to win more than 20% of those 2nd balls.

The (very) few times we did make a few passes, we looked better than them. It's all very strange. I wonder how that game would have panned out if we had Nouble in our team instead of theirs? He was a handful.
Thought we'd found a player in Fraser Murray, changing my mind by the week. Surely Armstrong has to come in agin his old team next game.
Glass half full thoughts, keeper looked decent again, E Murray was very good again, and if you'd offered me 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in our first 7 games (with 6 clean sheets) before the season started, I would have bit your hand off for it. 

Hopefully this player that we're in active discussions with can bring the ball down and drive forward with it.

Pretty dire performance, we seemed to just rush things and got lucky a few times. Second half we needed to get the ball on the deck, as we really struggled with the wind. 

Nouble was causing McGowan all sorts of problems early on but fair play to him I think he worked him out and done well against him after. Murray a rock as always 

Very disappointed in Shaw, all be it the service was terrible but very poor for me. 

Case of take the point and move on, strange to be top after being so poor. 

Going forward we really need to start keeping the ball in the ground as we have some good play at times

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

That was grim viewing. If the tactics are long diagonal balls, you should be aiming to win more than 5% of said long balls.

If the tactics are to let them win the long ball, and pounce on the 2nd ball, you should be aiming to win more than 20% of those 2nd balls.

The (very) few times we did make a few passes, we looked better than them. It's all very strange. I wonder how that game would have panned out if we had Nouble in our team instead of theirs? He was a handful.
Thought we'd found a player in Fraser Murray, changing my mind by the week. Surely Armstrong has to come in agin his old team next game.
Glass half full thoughts, keeper looked decent again, E Murray was very good again, and if you'd offered me 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in our first 7 games (with 6 clean sheets) before the season started, I would have bit your hand off for it. 

Hopefully this player that we're in active discussions with can bring the ball down and drive forward with it.

Tend to agree with this. Having really enjoyed the Firhill performance last week I was really surprised that McGinn wasn't in the starting lineup tonight. Alston and him are good at knitting the team together making themselves available and laying the ball off to others. The one fluent move we made in the second half ending in Shaw's shot on the turn involved both these guys. Even though we played well below our capabilities tonight our competitiveness got us what might prove to be a very valuable point at the end of the season. Let's get behind the team and the manager and show a little patience.

6 hours ago, aldo71 said:

I said , worst performance in my long memory ( but relatively). We've been crap in games when out our depth. Crap when up against comparative teams. But that was appalling against a part time team who's budget will be a fraction of ours. ONE shot at goal, keeper saved . ONE.  Then we were 2nd , sometimes not even that to loose balls. I've seen us lose to montrose,  Brechin,  Stirling albino. But we were at their level. Nobody should accept that tonight as just a bad day at the office. We weren't great at firhill, anybody who says we were are deluded. It was hoofball there too. But go ahead sticknthe head in the sand and say but but but we're top of the league ( in September) ?

Clearly I’m banging my head off a brick wall. I’d rather bury my head in the sand (in SEPTEMBER) than wet the bed for the next 8 months. 

some quick research in the last 6-7 years shows every single team who has come up from the championship has lost games. We didn’t lose last night. We were dreadful and we didn’t lose. Performances don’t get you points- and maybe if they did we wouldn’t have gotten relegated last season. 

Dundee United lost 4-0 to QOTS and 2-0 to Ayr away from home. Still champIons. 

im not saying it wasn’t awful. We couldn’t string two passes together. No one on the thread is saying that. This is all about the difference between people panicking (IN SEPTEMBER) and people not. 

By the way we haven’t lost a goal in the whole of SEPTEMBER. 

I also don’t understand the Brechin, Stirling Albion at their level comment. We lost to them when we were in the premiership. I’d rather play s**t, draw 0-0 than play superbly and lose 6-2 to Stirling Albion!!!

there will be other games like that this season. Warning you in advance. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spot on. 

Biggest budget in league and fans are happy with a draw away to part timers. 

Tonight was howling. 

It was howling and I don't think theres many folk 'happy' with the result but find it acceptable. We're not going to win every match, there were people concerned about result against ayr at home, queens then thistle and we came out the other side.

16 points from 7 games isnt too bad a return