Arbroath Match Fred

CB

39 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I can’t believe TW hasn’t coached a lifetime of habits out of players in 10-12 weeks. What is he playing at?

Do you not think he would have recruited players he felt capable of playing his preferred style.

if he didn’t is he not negligent or are we saying all new recruited players need “re-programming”

4 minutes ago, killiefife said:

Do you not think he would have recruited players he felt capable of playing his preferred style.

if he didn’t is he not negligent or are we saying all new recruited players need “re-programming”

I think he would sign players with traits he thought he could use. The type of players you seem to want, don’t want to play in the championship and tend to have better offers. I don’t think we can afford to sign those type of players. A bit like my Audi isn’t the car of my dreams, there’s plenty cars I would prefer, but they’re out of my price bracket and this car does at getting me from a to b. 

2 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

It is possible you know. Steve Clarke did it in much less time than that. 

Quick, somebody tell TW  he just needs to bring in £5 million midfielders, internationalists and have one of the most prolific strikers in recent Scottish football history on the books to get things movin the right direction. I can’t believe he’s not recognised this. 

43 minutes ago, Robert said:

If building from the back is the start of a good team them from last season we are better. Midfield for me is the problem. Forwards will get there fair share of goals if the get service. 

The movement from the forwards triggers the pass from the midfield, not the other way about. What I would say is I don’t think our midfield was particularly brave on the ball last night or adjusted to the conditions. Alston and Lyons were anonymous for large spells. 

8 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I think he would sign players with traits he thought he could use. The type of players you seem to want, don’t want to play in the championship and tend to have better offers. I don’t think we can afford to sign those type of players. A bit like my Audi isn’t the car of my dreams, there’s plenty cars I would prefer, but they’re out of my price bracket and this car does at getting me from a to b. 

So you are saying that no player below Premiership level can play football on the ground and that hoof ball is the default of all players below that level!

Arbroath turned the game into a battle and we didn’t have the players with skill to negate that. There were flashes of decent play from us at times which ended with the ball being over hit or misplaced due to the pressure Arbroath were putting on our players. You have to give the opposition credit. The game was exactly what they wanted it to be and we didn’t have the quality that makes a difference. 

Edited by MarkyMark

13 hours ago, Jasg said:

And who tells them to hoof it?

Correct ! Last week at Thistle TW was screaming hit it long to the wide areas and a couple of times Naismith passed to feet and got told with arm gestures, To hit it long , I also think thats why McGinn was subbed and did not start last night, He tends to prefer shorter passing.

6 minutes ago, killiefife said:

So you are saying that no player below Premiership level can play football on the ground and that hoof ball is the default of all players below that level!

I don’t think I mentioned the word hoof ball or that nobody below premier level can play the ball on the deck. However, for what it’s worth, we’ve witnessed plenty of players at premier level and above, who couldn’t play the game on the deck. I don’t know why this has come as shock to you. But here’s another revelation for you - the players at the lower levels who can play the ball on the deck, tend to have other flaws in their game which stops them from progressing. They could lack pace, be defensively weak, injury prone or any number of other weaknesses. The ones with the fewest weaknesses play at the higher levels. 

13 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Name a time in the last 50 years when we played worse football than in the second half tonight. I can’t think of many. If that’s the way we’re going to play for the rest of the season there will be 15 men and a dog there by the end of it. 

This is sarcasm, right?

It would take days to rhyme off all the performances that were worse than last night from the last 50 years. That draw wasn't even in the top 100. If you think that douring out difficult away games and staying in the mix at the top of the division will see our crowds drop to 15 men and a dog then that probably says more about you and your attitude than anything else. Killie are not for glory hunters, we need to fight tooth and nail for every point in this division and it is not going to be pretty at times. Last night was a bad performance by our standards and we should have had more from the manager and every player in the team on the night, but our supporters need to accept that despite budgets etc. we have no god given right to get results and stop whining like wee bitches every time something doesn't go our way or to our liking.

By playing long we bypassed the Midfield for most of the game and because we played Robinson we really only had two Midfielders in the centre. Arbroath out numbered us in Midfield and also hit long balls over our two players , But they had more playing supporting their attacks, Also it looked to me like the shot at goal at almost every site of goal, Most thankfully went wide. I thought they would tire in the second half and we might start to play the ball around them, But the Second half was worse than the first.

IMO Thats two in a row were we played long ball and in both games some players performances suffered. I dont think playing that way suits F.Murray, Alston or MacKenzie.2ND Half Thistle perhaps better but only after we scored and had something to hold on too.

We offered no threat in the wide areas and had little control of the game.

Polworth had pretty much been the link player in earlier matches, Playing off the front man and sometimes pushing into the box himself.But  I think TW wants Robinson in the 10 role yet we when he plays we go long ball, I guess hoping to pickup 2nd balls, But i think Ollie is more technical and would suit the passing game with Polworth playing.

On Sat its Raith at home. Raith to me seem to be a good footballing side. Watched highlights of all their games so far.

I hope we dont play long ball all game and mix it up. I would bring Polworth back in with McGinn and Alston behind. Also either switch F.Murray for Armstrong or play both and drop MacKenzie this time and show some attacking intent.

Before anyone says it , Yes i would have accepted 4 points before the last two games....LOL !

We've played most of the season with Polworth, McGinn and Alston in midfield, pretty dull but effective. 

Robinson comes in and the team has to adapt. Why did Lyons start though? What has he shown to displace either Polworth or McGinn? Lyons and Alston just didn't work. Also, disappointed with Robinson last night, his movement was poor, I expected him to come short for the ball and create space for himself but just didn't happen. 

Taking Rory off was bizarre, he was effective last night in nicking possession and trying to drive forward. In contrast Fraser Murray offered nothing.

Both full backs striggled to get forward, were they told not to gamble? 

In football cliches we move on to the next one and go again. 

Edited by funky monkey

Last night was always going to be a hard game but we seemed to try and make it harder for ourselves. Arbroath are flying with confidence and Nouble absolute ran  the defence ragged first 30 mins until Murray left a bit on him after a couple of tackles. We seemed to just be trying to replicate Shaw’s goal against Partick for the full 90 mins. Surprised to see Lyons start ahead of McGinn. 

I thought after the double changed we started playing better and as the game went on thought we could have nicked it. 

Hemming and E Murray were stand out for me. Absolute joy having a keeper who can actually make saves again after last season. 

32 minutes ago, 18yardhero said:

This is sarcasm, right?

It would take days to rhyme off all the performances that were worse than last night from the last 50 years. That draw wasn't even in the top 100. If you think that douring out difficult away games and staying in the mix at the top of the division will see our crowds drop to 15 men and a dog then that probably says more about you and your attitude than anything else. Killie are not for glory hunters, we need to fight tooth and nail for every point in this division and it is not going to be pretty at times. Last night was a bad performance by our standards and we should have had more from the manager and every player in the team on the night, but our supporters need to accept that despite budgets etc. we have no god given right to get results and stop whining like wee bitches every time something doesn't go our way or to our liking.

No more greenies but absolutely spot on. 

4 hours ago, skygod said:

I expect us to threaten a wee bit more from corner kicks and free kicks, because we have all week to rehearse them. I expect us to know what to do with throw-ins.

There was a time last night Naismith was stood holding the ball above his head for so long and the players around him were standing still for so long, I thought I had pressed the Pause button!

Seemed to start the season with variations on corner kicks and free kicks, but have now reverted to the floaty lob to the general direction of the 6 yard box for both. 
Would like to see someone drive them in with pace and have our big guys attack the ball, surely we have one or two that practice this skill during the week... E Murray's due a goal.
Throw ins are indeed very poor.

1 hour ago, 18yardhero said:

This is sarcasm, right?

OK I’ll start. Under McCulloch as manager, under golden shower boy, several indeed many performances under Dyer, ICT under Kenny, a number under AJ, v Gretna at Fir Park, some later JJ performances, East Stirling and Berwick in Div 2, many Clunie specials, Nomads, Cappielow, Coleraine, 0-3 at piggery, some right hammering in early 80s, Stirling 2-6, Alloa cup under BW, Clydebank 0-5 

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Quick, somebody tell TW  he just needs to bring in £5 million midfielders, internationalists and have one of the most prolific strikers in recent Scottish football history on the books to get things movin the right direction. I can’t believe he’s not recognised this. 

You are being wilfully obtuse, though given your usual level of ‘debate’ on here that’s hardly surprising. You know full well the point I was making is that a good coach can improve a squad, whether he or she has inherited it in it’s entirety or assembled it him or herself.
10-12 weeks is ample time to affect some change. Clarke managed to improve an under performing team by getting players to understand and buy into his coaching methods. Players don’t have to cost £5m to listen, learn and improve, whatever level they are playing at. 

54 minutes ago, 18yardhero said:

This is sarcasm, right?

My take on last nights performance and virtually every one this season is the almost total lack of entertainment that has been on show. It’s generally been absolutely dire and the quality of football we have had to watch in general has been awful with the odd glimpse of decent passing football and good goals thrown in.

The excuse of a new team needing time to gel has long gone. I and most fans don’t think we have “ a god given right to get results” but I don’t think it’s unreasonable given the players we have brought in, to have a style of football that doesn’t involve passing the ball back to the keeper to launch it aimlessly forward or pass the ball along the midfield or defence then give it away as a game plan. I’m not referring to last night specifically btw but that really was dreadful from a team of professionals.

Fans will put up with that when you are top or not far off it but is that really how we want to, hopefully, win the league? 

I went to the Darvel v Hurlford Junior game as a neutral the other Friday night and for £7 admission saw 6 goals and had the chance to buy beer to sup while taking in the match. Yes it was rough and ready at times but I enjoyed my evening and felt I had got good value for money. I expect more from my Killie team and to get odd glimpses of entertainment from a side expensively assembled by current championship opposition standards isn’t really what I’m looking for. 

I stay a distance away from Rugby Park but go as often as I can and likewise to away games after many years of working on a Saturday, but the fare on offer under TW really is hard to watch and if I was a fan who wasn’t a diehard I really would need persuading to go and watch what seems to be the norm to achieve the goal of promotion.

22 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

You are being wilfully obtuse, though given your usual level of ‘debate’ on here that’s hardly surprising. You know full well the point I was making is that a good coach can improve a squad, whether he or she has inherited it in it’s entirety or assembled it him or herself.
10-12 weeks is ample time to affect some change. Clarke managed to improve an under performing team by getting players to understand and buy into his coaching methods. Players don’t have to cost £5m to listen, learn and improve, whatever level they are playing at. 

If anyone is being obtuse here it’s you. Imagine trying to compare getting performances out of a large, settled, if slightly underperforming squad, supplemented with internationals and multi-million pound players, with completely rebuilding a squad in a matter of weeks. You only have to look at SC record in the transfer market to recognise one is much harder than the other. £5 million players and internationalists tend to have progressed higher by having talent and being able to follow instructions. I could listen to what SC wanted me to do, it doesn’t mean I could do it. 

Edited by Zorro

15 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Name a time in the last 50 years when we played worse football than in the second half tonight. I can’t think of many. If that’s the way we’re going to play for the rest of the season there will be 15 men and a dog there by the end of it. 

Go back to the mid to late 80s and there will be dozens of worse performances.  It was horrific watching us in those days. 

Go back to the 81-82 season under Jim Clunie, when we won 6 home league matches out of 20 and the performances were in the main dire. 

Last night was poor and very disappointing considering last Saturday's performance but put t behind us and move onto the next gate.  

14 hours ago, aldo71 said:

I'd accept a draw away from home in a hard fought competitive game. Nobody could argue. You'd put your hands up and say " good game, unlucky not to come away with a win , but accept a point at a difficult venue, but only IF we had matched them for desire , commitment and creativity.  Made the keeper work, created chances ,  had shots at goal. But not that tonight.  We were lucky to get a point. If they had won by 3 clear goals could we complain? They hit the woodwork twice , hemming made at least two saves , the missed even should've done better.  We had Shaws turn and shot , that was it !!! 

Well that’s it isn’t it, they were up for it and we never really looked like we wanted to dig in to win the game. Not many bigger teams that go down win every game on their way to the title, hearts, rangers etc all dropped points away at these kind of teams. It’s a mix of them upping their game to play us and us just wanting to turn up. I think it’ll be a good point come the end of the season but we’ll see