Arbroath Match Fred

CB

4 minutes ago, killie89 said:

It’s not garbage at all. They clattered him 3 times in the first half which nullified him in that game and has led to him being out for weeks. It was a different player every time and was totally intentional on their part. I don’t think we put a single challenge in on Gardyne the whole game.

You're right. Dirty bastards. Said at the time they played like Hamilton and you know how difficult playing them's been even under SC.

44 minutes ago, killie89 said:

Not one of those teams were better than us when we played them. Even Inverness were pretty rotten I thought. Arbroath are easily the best team we’ve come up against so far.

agreed, they were more compact, more composed and more threatening.

Also, in response to some other comments....looking at the league table i don't think Arbroath "upped" their game, I think that was just them.

I just hope they tire as the season goes on due to a smaller squad (allegedly) and being part time.

1 hour ago, 18yardhero said:

I went to my grandson's last cup tie, it cost me nothing, there were 14 goals and I could eat and drink whatever the hell I liked. If you want to go and watch Darvel and think that's better entertainment then why don't you just get a season ticket for Recreation Park and quit making stupid comparisons that bear no relevance on last nights game? Diddy defenders equate to loads of goals, its far from always being great football.

You don’t half like making your point do you ?

I want to watch Killie and be entertained and I’m afraid under TW last season and this so far I rarely have been. I don’t see any sign of a positive game plan. If we had played like we have for much of the games this season under Dyer then what do you think the reaction would be.

When Burke is fit the ball is invariably played to him even when he is knackered and should have been subbed and when he has been missing this past few games then more often than not the ball ends up back to the keeper to get launched or launched equally aimlessly by a defender.

I expect better and the fact we are challenging at the top of a league full of poor teams papers over the cracks. If we get promoted as I think we will, are the tactics suddenly going to become more positive? No indication that they will. 

TW was probably the best of the available managers we could realistically attract and my choice but I had this crazy idea that in a division below we might see a quality of football and level of entertainment that so far, I haven’t. 

55 minutes ago, Galdunc11 said:

You don’t half like making your point do you ?

I want to watch Killie and be entertained and I’m afraid under TW last season and this so far I rarely have been. I don’t see any sign of a positive game plan. If we had played like we have for much of the games this season under Dyer then what do you think the reaction would be.

When Burke is fit the ball is invariably played to him even when he is knackered and should have been subbed and when he has been missing this past few games then more often than not the ball ends up back to the keeper to get launched or launched equally aimlessly by a defender.

I expect better and the fact we are challenging at the top of a league full of poor teams papers over the cracks. If we get promoted as I think we will, are the tactics suddenly going to become more positive? No indication that they will. 

TW was probably the best of the available managers we could realistically attract and my choice but I had this crazy idea that in a division below we might see a quality of football and level of entertainment that so far, I haven’t. 

Exactly this 

11 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Hearts are the 3rd biggest club in Scotland, Dundee Utd would have the biggest budget in the Championship. Remember they bought Shankland.

My Utd supporting work colleague said when Neilson left Utd to go to Hearts a loto their fans weren't fussed as they were awful to watch.

You obviously haven't been in Edinburgh within the last year and saw the Budge and Neilson out graffiti. 

So my point is while everyone wants us to win games playing football, history would suggest we are following a similar path to the clubs I mentioned, albeit we aren't as big or financially as well off as they were.

It’s funny how a club’s budget is always used to support a point when it’s us who has the smaller budget i.e. we are expected to lose to bigger clubs such as Hibs was frequently said earlier this season.  
Isnt it then also the case that we should be equally beating teams with far smaller budgets like Arbroath? 
That argument rarely seems to be made. 

19 hours ago, Ken T said:

Exactly. Maybe those of us who are less than enthusiastic about the standard do have a sense of entitlement that their team will actually try to play some football. The most entertaining football I've seen from us over the years were usually in the lower league (73/74, 78/79, 92/93) so I'm not buying this dogfight crap that means we can't expect to see a decent game of football in this league. The people with a sense of entitlement are those at the club who take for granted that fans will continue to show up to watch this pish. Folk have better things to do with their time.

I tend to agree with this.  These teams all had better forwards, midfielders and wingers than the current team has. 

1 hour ago, CraigNeil21 said:

Ure hearts Dundee and the rest lost at gayfied is that not enough to be happy with a a 0.0

It really isn't about not winning . If we had created chances,  looked expansive and fought out a draw I'd except its a difficult fixture and take the point. But it wasn't !! It was bloody awful. But as the happy clappers will tell you , it was just a bad day at the office and move on. .......until its another turgid performance next time out

1 hour ago, historyman said:

It’s funny how a club’s budget is always used to support a point when it’s us who has the smaller budget i.e. we are expected to lose to bigger clubs such as Hibs was frequently said earlier this season.  
Isnt it then also the case that we should be equally beating teams with far smaller budgets like Arbroath? 

Its a fair point - but I think it's always slightly different with favourites for a league/relegated teams who are seen as a scalp. 

Away at Easter Road last season, eg, is very different challenge to away to sides where its a bit of an event this. Run of the mill Premiership game where quality will tend to win out v Cup game feel to some of the games this season. 

Its not an excuse for not winning - but it's a different challenge for which we need the manager to be savvy, the signings and attitude to be right etc. With a totally new team I was expecting us to take a bit of time to get to grips with that 

I’m slightly concerned that TW complains the team are not playing to his plan.....if he can’t change the team’s tactics to the way he wants to play  within a 90 minute game we have a real issue.

one one occasion we played good football down the right comprising of a few interchanging passes which cumulated in Shaw’s shot..... why couldn’t TW get the team to do this more?

We were poor, they were better, lucky to get the point. We take it and move on, I wonder if teams will have worked us out by the next set of games, however also important to remember we’re a team of players put together in the summer and I hope more to come from us. 

Hemming and Euan Murray excellent.

Lyons/Alston didn’t influence the game at all.

McGinn made a difference when he came on.

Haunstrup and Naismith I felt didn’t get forward enough but in fairness them getting forward only for aimless punts would have left us exposed when we lost possession. 

Cameron seemed the only player last night at least capable of taking the ball with his back to goal 

3 hours ago, historyman said:

Apart from all over this thread, the thread before the match, in the close season, and almost every discussion thread since we got relegated.

The fact that we have the biggest budget in the league must be in the top ten reiterated points in the history of this forum and is used to contextualise every result and performance in this division.

This odd trumpian "everyone says/nobody ever says" you keep using to create strawmen passed off as insight is just daft when there's such a plethora of actual things to talk about.

It's perfectly OK to make a point without pretending you're a rare voice of reason - on this point you're very much part of the vast majority.

Edited by Lorielus

The season is going better than I expected. 5 wins and a draw from 7 games is ahead of plan in what is a tough league. The poor starts of Hamilton and Dunfermline is a bonus. Arbroath will likely fade away by Christmas. It looks likely to be a 2 horse race over the season which I would gladly have taken at the outset. And if we need an extra signing to kick us on in January, we should be better placed than Inverness to make it. So I don’t get all the down beat commentary. We are punching very much in line with our weight.

This squad is nothing like good enough to blow the teams away in this league. Anyone who doesn’t see that is kidding themselves. We have a poor spl standard squad. We would be strong favourites for relegation if we were in the top flight with this squad. It’s the poorest we had since pre mixu.

But we are not in the spl and I expect the way things are knitting together and getting a better sense of the standard of opposition that we are facing that we will win the league. Not by 15 points and not by scoring 100 goals. But we will achieve the primary aim. And we can worry about the next rebuild at that point.

Most teams in Scotland would have struggled the other night. Playing against a full-time side live on television was like a cup tie for Arbroath, who were well organised with some decent players.

Add in the strong wind and a draw wasn't a bad result. Anyone who thinks we'll stroll through these games needs a reality check. 

1 hour ago, Angelo's Ashes said:

Most teams in Scotland would have struggled the other night. Playing against a full-time side live on television was like a cup tie for Arbroath, who were well organised with some decent players.

Add in the strong wind and a draw wasn't a bad result. Anyone who thinks we'll stroll through these games needs a reality check. 

We better win the league than, because playing like that, we ain’t winning a playoff.

We all knew and discussed how reliant we were on Burke before his injury and this been borne out in the recent matches.

It’s not really good enough when we have two replacements in McKenzie and Armstrong, and sufficient experience elsewhere in the squad to compensate.

When he returns it will be back to business as usual, with our biggest threat singled out for marking and, probably, fouling.

As a team, we are less than the sum of our parts and TW should be able to vary our tactics from match to match to present opponents with different problems.

We haven’t yet struck on a combination which looks like, as someone posted recently, a Premiership team in waiting.

Fortunately, the rest of the division has looked pish so far, although most of them will give us an examination on their own ground.

But I don’t rule out some of the stragglers putting a run up the table.  Most of them don’t have the resources to change much personnel-wise but Dunfermline do. I wonder if they will ditch Grant soon.

Raith have a couple of games to play before next Saturday and, if they win them both, will begin to look like challengers. McGlynn is a good manager but the loss of Vaughan is a blow to them.

If the rest keep taking points off each another, Inverness, Arbroath and ourselves look like being the most likely stayers. Which is a lot better than it could have been with Partick, Raith, Hamilton and Dunfermline all tipped as possible challengers pre-season. 

Edited by skygod

For all  those clamouring for Armstrong to get into the team. Do you think he’s done enough to justify selection in front of McKenzie or Murray? He was good against Falkirk who are from a division below but hasn’t done anything else to justify selection IMO. He also has a tendency to give the ball away. He needs to improve his performances and make more of an impact when given a chance off the bench if he wants a regular start. 

Edited by MarkyMark

2 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

For all  those clamouring for Armstrong to get into the team. Do you think he’s done enough to justify selection in front of McKenzie or Murray? He was good against Falkirk who are from a division below but hasn’t done anything else to justify selection IMO. He also has a tendency to give the ball away. He needs to improve his performances and make more of an impact when given a chance off the bench if he wants a regular start. 

I wouldn't say he warrants a start before those two but if you get to around 70 minutes and it obviously isn't working then he would be worth trying.Friday wasn't an ideal time to use him because we were missing the midfield and launching the ball forwards towards Shaw and latterly, Cameron.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

We all knew and discussed how reliant we were on Burke before his injury and this been borne out in the recent matches.

It’s not really good enough when we have two replacements in McKenzie and Armstrong, and sufficient experience elsewhere in the squad to compensate.

When he returns it will be back to business as usual, with our biggest threat singled out for marking and, probably, fouling.

As a team, we are less than the sum of our parts and TW should be able to vary our tactics from match to match to present opponents with different problems.

We haven’t yet struck on a combination which looks like, as someone posted recently, a Premiership team in waiting.

Fortunately, the rest of the division has looked pish so far, although most of them will give us an examination on their own ground.

But I don’t rule out some of the stragglers putting a run up the table.  Most of them don’t have the resources to change much personnel-wise but Dunfermline do. I wonder if they will ditch Grant soon.

Raith have a couple of games to play before next Saturday and, if they win them both, will begin to look like challengers. McGlynn is a good manager but the loss of Vaughan is a blow to them.

If the rest keep taking points off each another, Inverness, Arbroath and ourselves look like being the most likely stayers. Which is a lot better than it could have been with Partick, Raith, Hamilton and Dunfermline all tipped as possible challengers pre-season. 

I think that's all spot on 

Be interesting to see where we stand at the end of October. Caley away at Accies, Raith and Thistle and home to Arbroath in the next 

19 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Obviously we have to take into account the level Falkirk are at. IMO with Armstrong and Murray on the park that day we looked a much more balanced side and it was less obvious to the opponent where we were going to attack from.

McKenzie got the winner the following week and made a big impact vs Partick second half so Wright got it correct but I still think Armstrong could feel hard done by not keeping his place after Falkirk.