Performance to Date

Lorielus

6 hours ago, Lorielus said:

Because I can't help myself seemingly, I signed up to a Wyscout account to find some decent stats for the championship.

Here are some relevant stats from this season so far that give a little insight into our performances, with the caveats that we've still a relatively small sample size and that stats in the context of sport are always to be treated as indicative only:

In attacking terms, where it looks less than rosey:

-  4th bottom in expected goals for (6.84 against the league average of 7.38, Invercaley are second worst at 5.26, QoTS and Arbroath are the highest with 10.67 and 9.33)

-  4th highest number of shots, but 2nd lowest rate of shots on target (27.3%)

-  4th highest accuracy of crossing (64% of which come from the right flank)

-  4th lowest number of touches in the opposition box

-  3rd highest dribble success rate

-  Third highest number of corners

In defensive terms where it's far more positive:

-  Lowest in expected goals against (3.53 versus a league average of 7.38)

-  Lowest number of shots faced

-  4th bottom for proportion of defensive duels won - however, the range here is 60.3% to 63.15% and we're 62.1%, so don't think there's much to read into that

-  2nd top in challenge intensity (that's how well we press based on number of duels, tackles and interceptions per minute of opposition posession)

On how we behave in posession and how we contruct and control play:

-  Top for passes (2,367 versus league average of 1,967)

-  4th top for pass accuracy (77.9% versus league average of 75.5%)

-  Top for key passes (passes that should result in an attempt at goal)

-  Third top for through-balls (4th top for success of through-balls)

-  3rd bottom for number of long balls as a proportion of total passes (16% versus a league average of 18.3%)

-  2nd lowest success rate of long balls in the league (46% versus league average of 50%)

-  4th in progressive passes (moving the ball forward) with the highest success rate in the league for those passes (78.6% versus a league average of 72%)

-  Third top in progressive runs with the ball

-  4th top deep completions (non-cross passes into the box)

-  3rd highest pressing against us

-  3rd in the league for posession (57.2%, Raith are highest with 57.3%, Invercaley are 5th with 50.4%)

It would take a lot of thought to discern all possible meanings but the couple of thoughts that jump to my mind immediately are, bearing in mind this is in the context of all league games to date rather than just the Arbroath game:

-  We're not a long ball team relative to the other teams in the league

-  When we do hit long balls, we're really bad at them

-  We've the best defence in the league to date by a considerable distance, but from posession status, pressing intensity and number of shots faced, it's important to credit the whole team structure for that

-  We seem to be fairly proficient (looking at the through-balls, key passes, and progressive passes) at getting the ball to the final third (when we don't attempt long balls anyway) but then seem to fail to create clear goalscoring opportunities very often.  It's probably worth keeping in mind we've had a fairly unsettled frontline in these first handful of games though.

-  The places we're shooting from are less than optimal (we've lots of shots, but low expected goals, meaning the positions we're shooting from are not clean chances).

[The glossary for these stats can be seen:   https://dataglossary.wyscout.com/ if you want to see the definitions]

Lorielius, I thought it was a very interesting summary. These are the kind of stats teams are using these days to analyse their performance. In betting terms, past xg performance is seen as better indicator of future results than past results. So to me, our xg for is an area of concern.

I thought you summarised the stats very well.

Edited by KFC_Macca

Interesting stats and you would hope Management team both use stats as well as looking back and analysing games to seek improvements 

just from games I’ve seen 

Defensively we will be fine (even better when Stokes returns), 2 up front if given enough of the right kind of service will provide us a cutting edge and goals

Return of Burke will give us better quality out wide

But Improvements are very much still needed in central midfield , and in our overall style of play

Here are my stats:

Creativity     -                                   Poor

Urgency       -                                   Inconsistent

To every ball   -                                Second

Thank f**k for -                               Hemming

7 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Here are my stats:

Creativity     -                                   Poor

Urgency       -                                   Inconsistent

To every ball   -                                Second

Thank f**k for -                               Hemming

I hope you don't call yourself a Killie fan or is this some veiled attempt at humor. we are second top of the league with a new team, yet your response is to call them PISH unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

It was a veiled attempt at humour, but I forgot that humour is banned on these forums these days. Everything is to be deadly serious and all that.

I do think it might be time for the Mods to issue a statement making it clear that all attempts at humour are banned and that anyone caught not being serious will be banned from the Forum - ideally for life!

20 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

I find it mental we can get this level of stats in this division, while dealing with cameras that follow baldy linos and can't see past sections of the stand they are enclosed within, and a complete lack of highlights from most games. 

I’m asking myself similar questions. How do they gather this information from so many matches and how accurate is it? Do they film every game and do they utilise information from the players individual vest monitors? Seems a cost heavy venture and hard to get my head round who buys this stuff, how much they pay for it and what they do with it.

20 minutes ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

I do think it might be time for the Mods to issue a statement making it clear that all attempts at humour are banned and that anyone caught not being serious will be banned from the Forum - ideally for life!

There’s plenty of humour on this forum - hot Dutch wives, zone valves, Finnish, new signings in Tesco, Is it on Setanta?, forward thinking attack ducks....

Razor-sharp wit is alive and well on Killiefc.com! 

45 minutes ago, Mcd said:

I hope you don't call yourself a Killie fan or is this some veiled attempt at humor. we are second top of the league with a new team, yet your response is to call them PISH unbelievable. 

You must be a bundle of laughs to beside at a game! 

We seem to have a split developing on here. The fans that look at the league table and are satisfied where we are despite the largely unentertaining performances and those who want us to be challenging for top spot but wanting us to be doing it with a bit more flare and evidence of some sort of tactical master plan beyond what we have been witnessing. 

Just now, Galdunc11 said:

You must be a bundle of laughs to beside at a game! 

We seem to have a split developing on here. The fans that look at the league table and are satisfied where we are despite the largely unentertaining performances and those who want us to be challenging for top spot but wanting us to be doing it with a bit more flare and evidence of some sort of tactical master plan beyond what we have been witnessing. 

I think the split is between po-faced f**kers that want to argue every point to death and people with a life outside this forum

17 minutes ago, Boring Bob said:

I’m asking myself similar questions. How do they gather this information from so many matches and how accurate is it? Do they film every game and do they utilise information from the players individual vest monitors? Seems a cost heavy venture and hard to get my head round who buys this stuff, how much they pay for it and what they do with it.

They do, believe it or not.  On the wyscout platform there are the full matches replayed, but also on each individual player there are also individual actions they've taken (e.g. each pass) recorded against each stat.  For example, you can view all of Robinson's ariel duels for the season if you like, or all of Hemming's "Coming Off Line" actions, etc.  It's remarkably in depth.

If you fancy a look, there's a 15 day free trial, but you need to give payment details and remember to cancel before the 15 days are up if you don't want to be charged.

If we are all being honest and although there is obvious disappointment over  the ICT and Arbroath games we are as has been said sitting 2nd in the league and I'm sure Dunfermline and Hamilton supporters would swop their positions in a heartbeat  let's  stay positive troops!

1 minute ago, Bbk said:

If we are all being honest and although there is obvious disappointment over  the ICT and Arbroath games we are as has been said sitting 2nd in the league and I'm sure Dunfermline and Hamilton supporters would swop their positions in a heartbeat  let's  stay positive troops!

If you’d said to me we’re going to bring in a completely new squad and after seven game we’ll be second in the league, three points behind first and had only conceded one goal, I’d have bitten your hand off for it. If you told me we’d do it after losing three of our key players for almost half of the games and only having an experienced striker for three of them, I wouldn’t have believed it possible. 

Ps we’re gonna stroll the league. 

11 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If you’d said to me we’re going to bring in a completely new squad and after seven game we’ll be second in the league, three points behind first and had only conceded one goal, I’d have bitten your hand off for it. If you told me we’d do it after losing three of our key players for almost half of the games and only having an experienced striker for three of them, I wouldn’t have believed it possible. 

Ps we’re gonna stroll the league. 

Absolutey, the one thing most of us said we would need in the first quarter was patience  as an entitely new squad would tske time and we would have a bloody big target on out backs for the whole season as we are by far the biggest club in the division with the largest support and every side will want ua to be kept in it.

IMO when injuries start hitting everyone its the respective quality of the depth of our squad that will see us through.

Burke will also be rested and properly in about it soon enough, as will Stokes.

28 minutes ago, Bbk said:

I agree. I am far from being miserable and enjoy most of the patter on the forums. I just got a bit fed up this morning with our team being called PISH. this coupled with some of the abuse the team and individual players are getting post Arbroath match. Before someone asks was I happy travelling home on Friday no, but I do feel it is rediculous to be calling for change already. 

Let's try and be positive particularly at home on Saturday as again this will not be an easy game.