Pictures of old Kilmarnock

findis

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, Fridge Magnet said:

strange thing to wonder about but I was always curious why RP was built at such a random angle. It's parallel to nothing.... or is that mt OCD kicking in

It also meant when the ground expanded that the old terracing (the Shed once covered) and now the East Stand had to have their corner shaved off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/05/2016 at 12:32 PM, Fridge Magnet said:

strange thing to wonder about but I was always curious why RP was built at such a random angle. It's parallel to nothing.... or is that mt OCD kicking in

Was the nothing not where the agriculture shows were? You wouldn't want to slide tackle through coo doo.

We certainly couldn't play, when they were on.

45 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Our Ayrshire towns are a horrible mess compared to how they once were. 

Town planners in the 1960's were a mad modernist bunch!  Building spaceship shopping centres in Cumbernauld, demolishing the finest Victorian Cross in the UK (at Charring Cross) to make way for the M8. Getting rid of this for the Burns Mall - completely bonkers.  The Killie one is especially crazy when Irvine new town was at the time being built.

kilmarnock_kb_11.jpg

15 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

You might find this quite interesting.

Explains the idea behind M8 and how it would frame the surroundings. You can understand where they where coming from but the reality is pretty grim. 

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/glasgow

My town planning mate told me of how the M8 construction could have been worse. Basically a guy working on the project decided to put the original projected route over a map of listed buildings and when he presented this they decided to change the route slightly. This might have resulted in Charing Cross going but saved many many more buildings including the Mitchell Library (one of my favourite buildings in the city).

What I'd like to see in Killie is pulling down the mall, multi-storey, Foregate, bus station and Clydesdale bank.  

Create a large open public space with a new smart and simple bus station.  Drop the road outside Palace getting rid of subway.  Put some eateries on West side of space roughly following where Foregate is now. Maybe a row of small units on south side where mall is  Relocate businesses into other empty units in town.  Should be enough empty shops for this. 

Opens up views of Viaduct and Palace  reconnecting them with town centre. 

Shouldn't cost the earth as your not building any major structures.