Alan Power

Bellman2010

The fact he left last year after we got relegated and now looks like he’s coming back doesn’t particularly bother me, that’s the nature of football. 

What bothers me is the fact his best days are clearly behind him and we can do better. It comes across as a strange one from McInnes  

3 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Folk getting their knickers in a twist over a piece in the Daily ******.

f**k me.

This rag had Derek McInnes as a shoe in for the Hibs job  a fortnight ago.

I posted on another thread that Power had contacted James Fowler about coming back but McInnes wasn't interested.

I agree, I would be amazed if we’re interested in Power, probably just paper talk.

43 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Folk getting their knickers in a twist over a piece in the Daily ******.

The Record and the Express both have the story as an EXCLUSIVE!

Does Scott Burns write for both of them?

Edited by skygod

7 hours ago, Lorielus said:

That's a weird take, he was under contract, meaning he absolutely had an obligation to do that, we just chose to release him from it.

Not really weird at all, more money and top flight football. Nothing weird about that, think people need to get over it tbh ?

7 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Was reported Lafferty turned down the offer of a new contract to stay with us last summer to chase the money overseas  , now he is a Killie hero again…….things change very quickly as well as perceptions..

In purely football terms , If true it’s not the mobile nor creative type of central midfielder was hoping for but hopefully these signings will follow in what seems already a long close season! (and it’s only been 3 weeks) 

Exactly this 

Let's take a step back here. DM is building and reshaping the squad for next season. 

If he thinks he can get a tune out of Power for a year, a player who knows the league and the club, then we have to trust his judgement. 

It may just mean that it allows him to use other funds in the budget for other signings who are viewed as more marque and on longer deals. 

By all accounts it sounds like McGinn was told he wouldn’t be a regular starter and decided he wanted to continue playing week in week out. Had he been content with rare appearances he may have still been at the club. Perhaps Power is content with occupying that role. 

I loved the guy when here, was gutted he left when we went down, but the lack of any kind of message to the fans when he left was a little classless. 

19 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

By all accounts it sounds like McGinn was told he wouldn’t be a regular starter and decided he wanted to continue playing week in week out. Had he been content with rare appearances he may have still been at the club. Perhaps Power is content with occupying that role. 

I loved the guy when here, was gutted he left when we went down, but the lack of any kind of message to the fans when he left was a little classless. 

I don’t see Power as a direct replacement for McGinn they are completely different players. 

What also crossed my mind this morning was team unity. A lot was made of it at the end of the season. Obviously every club has a reshuffle in the summer but how does Power’s return sit with the guys who got us back up when he left(obviously this could be for a variety of reasons)?

Let's get realistic...DM is building a squad, not just a starting 11.  AP is that player that nobody likes, the Mark Reilly mould.  Nothing spectacular but puts in a shift and is actually a valuable meber of the team.  I totally get the....he jumped ship, he was useless in "that" season (but wasn't every Killie player).  Imagine being 2 or 3 nil up with 30min to go. We need to add a bit more defensive bite into our midfield to see out the game and he brings on AP for a player who's done from putting in a magnificent 60ish minutes.  I'd be happy with that. We need to remember we have a far superior manager than the predecessors (apart from SC) so let's trust his judgement.  It's the 2nd signing of many to come. 

7 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Let's get realistic...DM is building a squad, not just a starting 11.  AP is that player that nobody likes, the Mark Reilly mould.  Nothing spectacular but puts in a shift and is actually a valuable meber of the team.  I totally get the....he jumped ship, he was useless in "that" season (but wasn't every Killie player).  Imagine being 2 or 3 nil up with 30min to go. We need to add a bit more defensive bite into our midfield to see out the game and he brings on AP for a player who's done from putting in a magnificent 60ish minutes.  I'd be happy with that. We need to remember we have a far superior manager than the predecessors (apart from SC) so let's trust his judgement.  It's the 2nd signing of many to come. 

He's not a player that nobody likes.  He was many people's favourite player - but his best days are behind him and he bailed out whilst under contract when we were relegated.

We should be looking elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Cyril the Squirel said:

He's not a player that nobody likes.  He was many people's favourite player - but his best days are behind him and he bailed out whilst under contract when we were relegated.

I loved him, one of my favourite Killie players. No issue with him leaving, its a short career and you've got to do what's best for you and your family. However, to not even send as much as a Tweet to the fans that idolised you was classless and burned his bridges for me. Even Jordan Jones said goodbye!

1 minute ago, Cyril the Squirel said:

It's possibly not clear but he's a player that opposition players don't like, the one that gets stuck in and niggles away at players who are tryingto get through towardsour goal.  

So, if you'd had a terrible time in your workplace for over a year and then was offered to do the same job at a possible higher rate of pay...what would you do?? We, not just Killie fans, but football fans need to realise that there is very little loyalty from football players nowadays.  Money talks.

If you listen to the Open Goal podcast, McInnes talks about signing guys like Barry Robson to do a job- not to play every week but as a trusted pair of hands. He says he is a great believer in the older pros taking a keen interest in the younger ones and helping them. Having listened to that interview I actually think this signing makes a lot of sense, and dont see Power being a starter every week. 

2 minutes ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

I loved him, one of my favourite Killie players. No issue with him leaving, its a short career and you've got to do what's best for you and your family. However, to not even send as much as a Tweet to the fans that idolised you was classless and burned his bridges for me. Even Jordan Jones said goodbye!

Oh jeezo.  You're annoyed at him because he didn't post something on social media.  That's laughable and ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Cyril the Squirel said:

I take it having Lafferty back though is ok???

He was many peoples favourite player and his best days are surely behind him aswell ????

1 minute ago, Dave1981 said:

Oh jeezo.  You're annoyed at him because he didn't post something on social media.  That's laughable and ridiculous.

He helped get us relegated and buggered off at the first opportunity without saying see ya later. It lacked class. Gary Dicker got unbelievable amounts of stick, most of it justified, and he thanked the fans when he left. Its a simply gesture that would have taken seconds.

I don't think he was particularly good the season we went down and he's another year older (and slower) now. If Derek wants to bring him in as a guy to bring on when we're trying to hold onto a lead then he'll probably be fine. But to start every week? That's worrying.