Microsoft phones

Mogwai

I'm upgrading my old iPhone 4 and was all set to get a Microsoft Lumia 650 - I only really use the phone for calls, texts, facebook, twitter, kindle and browsing the web. Plus I like the idea of connectivity between my pc and xbox. I then spoke to a pal who is a developer and he warned me off Microsoft phones. A bit of googling showed that it is pretty underpowered, processor-wise.

After a bit more research, I was set to get the Moto G4 - specs through the roof for a budget smartphone.

But I just don't like android.

I'm now thinking Lumia 950.

Does anyone have one, and if so, what do you think of it?

Out of interest, what don't you like about Android? It's a fairly flexible system. You can get all sorts of launchers and skins to change your phone.

I remember hearing good things about the Lumia phones when they first came out, but that was a fair while ago now.

On 3 November 2016 at 8:03 PM, Lroy said:

Out of interest, what don't you like about Android? It's a fairly flexible system.

I've not got any technical issues with it, it's just a preference. I used to have an android phone, but I much prefer using iOS, probably just because I'm used to using it for the past few years. However, I like Windows 10 on my PC and I thought windows mobile might be quite good too. 

I had a Nokia Windows phone but I much prefer Android.

I think Microsoft is drifting towards the Apple model where you can't actually do anything with the machine unless they approve.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy J5 and I love it. I am developing programs on my PC to run on it and enjoying playing about with it.

But as stated above if all you want to do is make calls and text then iPhone or Windows is fine.

On 03/11/2016 at 7:37 PM, Mogwai said:

I'm upgrading my old iPhone 4...
But I just don't like android.

I might be making an inaccurate assumption here, but the quote above would imply that you've not owned an Android since around 2010/11.  A lot of time has passed for you to suggest you "just don't like" it.

Microsoft Lumia

My work have recently dumped a Lumia 550 on me, running Windows 10 mobile.  It's definitely in the lower end of the range!

It doesn't feel polished in any way.  The built in "edge" browser is terrible. The home screen grid "thing" is extremely limited.  The app drawer is as basic as they come, with absolutely no customisation options (it's a list of apps with an incredibly slow scrolling animation turned on).   My issue isn't with the hardware.  It's the OS, which will be identical to the 950.

I especially enjoyed having my ongoing call disconnected because..."Your system has been updated.  Reboot to continue". f**k you Microsoft.

It's fine and will do the basics that you need, but in all honesty pales in comparison to every Android phone I've ever owned (since 2009).

IMO
Android: Good specs for the price.  Good selection of apps (with a large development community). It's a good OS with lots of customisation options.  Anything Mid-Range (£150+) and up will give you a decent experience. My mate has the Moto G4 and it's a cracking phone for the money.

iPhone: If you've already bought into the Apple way of life, or have other apple products, then go for it.  They just don't represent any sort of value for money to me. 

Windows: Based on my experience, I'd never part with my hard earned for a current Windows Phone.  Lack of any meaningful customisation.  Poor (albeit improving) selection of apps. Generally just a terrible OS.  Maybe in a few years it'll be more polished.

On 14/11/2016 at 6:04 PM, undefined said:

I might be making an inaccurate assumption here, but the quote above would imply that you've not owned an Android since around 2010/11.  A lot of time has passed for you to suggest you "just don't like" it.

Spot on, actually.

Since my post, I took the advice on here and continued to research them both. Whereas the Lumia 950 would have done what I wanted and had an amazing camera to boot, I just couldn't justify spending nearly £30 a month on it.

I went with the Moto G4 instead, and so far, I'm loving it. Compared to other similarly priced handsets, it does seem to pack quite a punch.

Android isn't as bad as I remember at all - perhaps it was just a dodgy version (or maybe even a dodgy handset), but my old android phone used to always crash, lock up etc. This seems stable and although I never really bothered with apps before, the sheer variety and volume has blown me away.

I'm a convert. 

32 minutes ago, Mogwai said:

the Lumia 950 would have done what I wanted and had an amazing camera to boot, I just couldn't justify spending nearly £30 a month on it.

I went with the Moto G4 instead, and so far, I'm loving it. Compared to other similarly priced handsets, it does seem to pack quite a punch.

Been watching this thread with interest.

Windows works a lot better than Android on slower or older phones.

It's less customisable and a hell of a lot easier to use.

I had a Samsung ATIV S Windows phone (Galaxy s4 mini basically) for 3 years and it was 100% cracking - cost about £100, much more practical than the Note2 it replaced.

Easily the best phone I've had - huge screen, loud, great battery life - but Samsung only did 1 Windows phone in the UK.

The problem with Windows is key apps are being discontinued all the time.

Last month it was eBay, month before Amazon.

Even the 950 is more than a year old and Microsoft aren't pushing support for the platform.

But they work great from the browser, so if apps aren't important are solid value on a budget.

I bought an iPhone 5s on discount, was so easy to set up (from my mac account) and on virgin got that and an iPad mini 2 to for £31 pm . 

Hardly touched the phone -  as the iPad integration is that good - even phone calls Dom Jolly style.

Just as well, as it feels weird having a much smaller phone than your last one!

Edited by RAG