THE Iconic Killie Picture Thread!

Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
26 minutes ago, KillieBigB said:

A big thanks to everyone who put photos up. What a journey down memory lane. Some cracking photos. Thanks all you fantastic Killie fans

Endorse those sentiments completely bro. There’s some amazing s**t on this thread. Brings back so many emotional memories.

And for youse young team you’re creating your own precious memories and legends with these new photos. Ross Mullen’s post goal team hysteria will become a long-standing classic I have no doubt. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BigD'sGingerLorry said:

I seem to remember it going up after we beat Celtic in a Scottish Cup match 1-0 with Big D scoring the winner.

Was at that game, in the wrong end having come down from Glasgow on the train and no time to get round. Me and my mate had to keep quiet but couldn't when Big D scored. Had a fair bit of friendly banter after that as we were surrounded, but remember it turned a bit abusive when the goal turned out to be the winner!

• 4 months later...

The foreign clubs didn’t represent US franchises at that time. 

That came in 1969 when the NASL was in dire financial straits. The new commissioner, ex-Wales international Phil Woosnam, proposed bringing in  British clubs to represents the franchises for the first half the season. 

Killie represented St Louis Stars, playing Villa, Wolves, West Ham and Dundee Utd. 

Attendances were patchy - under 200 watched St Louis (Killie) play Dallas Tornado (Dundee Utd) in Dallas. 

Edited by skygod

15 minutes ago, skygod said:

As this is the iconic picture thread, here is the New York Polo Grounds where the ISL matches were played.

A ball-park situated in Harlem, it was home at the time to the Titans of New York football team and the Mets moved in in 1962 and 1963 when the Shea Stadium was being built. It was demolished in 1964.

The Killie- Bangu final was watched by 25,440.

polo-grounds.jpg

Fantastic video that!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

He didn't play in the 1953 "Birth of the Busby Babes" match to inaugurate the RP floodlights but I came across this picture of Sir Bobby Charlton training before the Scotland - England match 1960.

Good view of the old stand.

1200135085_BobbyCharltonRP1960.jpg.df6fdc109aa6338b8c820be617ced883.jpg

Here's the programme advertising the United match. Not much notice for such a prestigious friendly!

No programme was produced for the match itself.

The United team was Crompton, McNulty, Byrne, Gibson, Chilton, Cockburn (Edwards), Berry, Blanchflower, Taylor, Viollet and McShane. United won 3-0.

Byrne, Taylor and Edwards perished as a result of the Munich air disaster. Blanchflower and Berry survived but their injuries were career-ending.

Kilmarnock v Man Utd 1953-4 

Another picture I've never come across before of PE teacher George Maxwell and his pupil/ team-mate Gordon Smith.

1782417389_maxwellg.jpg.30ed94b218533efbe1b8201c8b7f3a80.jpg

How times have changed! Jackie McInally enjoys a ciggy while signing autographs for two lads but not, I assume, for the sheep mascot!

1098311891_jakesheepfags.jpg.25a4afd79b9312e2e048c9cf7eb34ac8.jpg

Edited by skygod

On 1/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, Allan said:

Here's the link to the "Classic Match Report HERE

78 Tic H Cup Reolay.jpg

Seem to recall the initial date was cancelled due to bad weather....I'd travelled up on an overnight train from Southend/London where I was on a training course....got home and the game was put back (a Monday Night?).......GUTTED as I had to be back or not qualify from the Course..... 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...