THE Iconic Killie Picture Thread!

Allan

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Galdunc11 said:

Whatever happened to the halftime scoreboard? Scrapped presumably. Shame if so as an iconic part of the old Rugby Park. If you didn’t have a “tranny” was the only way to find out the scores.

Would have been great to have it relocated somewhere after the redevelopment. 

Bobby Fleeting had it scrapped. I would have paid to have it for my back garden.

I would have loved to have climbed the ladder to the platform and slotted the numbers in place.

I used to spend a good part of second halves watching the man doing that, and not the game!

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Bobby Fleeting had it scrapped. I would have paid to have it for my back garden.

I would have loved to have climbed the ladder to the platform and slotted the numbers in place.

I used to spend a good part of second halves watching the man doing that, and not the game!

Was truly iconic. Amazing to see how technology has moved since 1980s but will always be a big memory for me; waiting for the folks to insert the numbers and link to the program schedule.

10 hours ago, skygod said:

Actually 1975-76 promotion from the First Division.

1973-74 was too early for the likes of McLean, Clarke snd Provan. 

Stewart wearing Admiral which I believe we first wore 74-75. I think Bukta did the kits before that. Other players wearing red change kit but looks like without Admiral logo so 75-76 fits nicely.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 10:00 PM, skygod said:

He didn't play in the 1953 "Birth of the Busby Babes" match to inaugurate the RP floodlights but I came across this picture of Sir Bobby Charlton training before the Scotland - England match 1960.

Good view of the old stand.

1200135085_BobbyCharltonRP1960.jpg.df6fdc109aa6338b8c820be617ced883.jpg

Here's the programme advertising the United match. Not much notice for such a prestigious friendly!

No programme was produced for the match itself.

The United team was Crompton, McNulty, Byrne, Gibson, Chilton, Cockburn (Edwards), Berry, Blanchflower, Taylor, Viollet and McShane. United won 3-0.

Byrne, Taylor and Edwards perished as a result of the Munich air disaster. Blanchflower and Berry survived but their injuries were career-ending.

Kilmarnock v Man Utd 1953-4 

Another picture I've never come across before of PE teacher George Maxwell and his pupil/ team-mate Gordon Smith.

1782417389_maxwellg.jpg.30ed94b218533efbe1b8201c8b7f3a80.jpg

How times have changed! Jackie McInally enjoys a ciggy while signing autographs for two lads but not, I assume, for the sheep mascot!

1098311891_jakesheepfags.jpg.25a4afd79b9312e2e048c9cf7eb34ac8.jpg

The first few sentences (minus the reference to Alloa) could have been written in Jan-Feb 2022!!