Televised Cup matches

skygod

"The match between Albion Rovers and Celtic will be live on Sky Sports on Sunday 22 January 2017, kick-off 3pm."

I never saw that coming! Mind you, I should have done as there has to be a good chance of a shock result. Nothing to do with Cliftonhill's capacity of 1,572 - no siree! Bring it on!

The other matches - Raith Rovers v. Hearts and Rangers v. Motherwell - I can understand.

26 minutes ago, skygod said:

"The match between Albion Rovers and Celtic will be live on Sky Sports on Sunday 22 January 2017, kick-off 3pm."

I never saw that coming! Mind you, I should have done as there has to be a good chance of a shock result. Nothing to do with Cliftonhill's capacity of 1,572 - no siree! Bring it on!

The other matches - Raith Rovers v. Hearts and Rangers v. Motherwell - I can understand.

There's not much to choose from to be fair. 

17 hours ago, skygod said:

Anything would be preferable to Albion Rovers v. Celtic.

OF away cup ties, regardless of opposition, are nailed on to be televised which just ain't right. There's money to be made from cup ties being televised and the OF hoover up most of it.

Yes and whilst i'd agree in a perfect world, the TV companies pay the money and they will get far greater viewing figures showing Albion-Celtic than they would say Killie-Hamilton.

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yes and whilst i'd agree in a perfect world, the TV companies pay the money and they will get far greater viewing figures showing Albion-Celtic than they would say Killie-Hamilton.

It's a double-edged sword, in some ways.

In the League, clubs are probably happy not to have their matches televised live as it means they get their share of the money without losing any gate money.

On the other hand, they don't have a shop window for their product unless it's getting beaten (usually) by Celtic.

There are lots of Sky and BT Sports subscribers who don't support the OF and who would appreciate seeing their own club more than three or four times a season against the OF.

When it comes to the cup, everyone will want to be televised as £80k per club is the equivalent of about 8,000 through the turnstiles.

As you say, viewing figures matter but it's galling when a cracking non-OF tie is overlooked for a Stranraer v. Celtic or an Arbroath v. Rangers.

The upside, of course, is that a "wee" club gets a windfall and their big day on the telly.

BBC Alba does a good job of showcasing Championship and other clubs outside of the Premiership, as an aside.

Edited by skygod

The situation is even worse in England!

West Ham v. Man City

Man Utd v. Reading (apparently, and incredibly, United's 55th consecutive televised FA Cup-tie)

PNE v. Arsenal

Liverpool v. Plymouth/ Newport

Spurs v. Villa

Cambridge Utd v. Leeds

TV ratings seems to be the only factor in selecting matches these days.

Shame when you think of the genuine drama provided by the last round matches involving Ashton Curzon, Lincoln City, Sutton United, Barrow etc.

On 13/12/2016 at 6:46 PM, skygod said:

We lost the first leg of the League Cup quarter (?) final 2-0.

Won the second leg 5-2.

The whole night at Cliftonville was a running battle, it seemed.

I seem to remember Alan Robertson "scoring" from a free kick almost on the half way line, he slipped and fell on his erse as he hit it too....................or did i dream this lol

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, skygod said:

West Ham v. Man City

Man Utd v. Reading (apparently, and incredibly, United's 55th consecutive televised FA Cup-tie)

PNE v. Arsenal

Liverpool v. Plymouth/ Newport

Spurs v. Villa

Cambridge Utd v. Leeds

How did it work out then?

Man City and Man Utd had walkovers but the opposition was unexpectedly woeful. Certainly not gripping viewing.

Arsenal were pushed to the end and Liverpool were held, although both fielded understrength teams. Probably classic cup-tie viewing.

Spurs - Villa was a bit of a snooze fest and Cambridge v. Leeds was always an odd choice. Thumbs down.

If Man Utd v. Wigan is chosen in the next round we will know for sure that the TV companies are only interested in ratings.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Man U tv run continues....

Televised fifth-round ties

Saturday 18 February: Burnley v Lincoln City - 12.30, BT Sport; Wolves v Chelsea - 17.30, BT Sport

Sunday 19 February: Fulham v Tottenham - 14.00, BBC One; Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United - 16.15, BT Sport (followed by sixth-round draw)

Monday 20 February: Sutton United v Arsenal - 19:55, BBC One

1 hour ago, Killieboy1980 said:

The Man U tv run continues....

Televised fifth-round ties

Saturday 18 February: Burnley v Lincoln City - 12.30, BT Sport; Wolves v Chelsea - 17.30, BT Sport

Sunday 19 February: Fulham v Tottenham - 14.00, BBC One; Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United - 16.15, BT Sport (followed by sixth-round draw)

Monday 20 February: Sutton United v Arsenal - 19:55, BBC One

Biggest club in Britain so always will be on tv when playing in likes of FA Cup

Hopefully Sutton make a game out of it against Arsenal 

Edited by Chris1810
Typo