Say Bye - To a Killie Pie?

baz

7 hours ago, harley said:

Playing Devils advocate here guys but would 98 & 99 not be before Brownings were involved. Killie Pie existed before Brownings made theirs. See below. KFC were also well known for their Killie Pie long before 98 & W.W.Wales. 

A Killie pie or Kilmarnock pie is a type of pie sold at Rugby Park, the home ground of association football team Kilmarnock F.C.. It is somewhat unique in that it is a steak pie and not a Scotch pie, the type of pie associated with football in Scotland.[1]

History

It won the award for best pie in football two years running in 1998 and 1999,[2] and attracted quite a reputation amongst away fans for its quality. [3]

It is made by Brownings The Bakers of Kilmarnock.[4

I think John meant the way it's been marketed. When Wales sold it the sales were minicule. 

Brownings have developed it into a a product sold nationwide. 

You can't buy this kind of publicity!

As for the club - a laughing stock. 

THE BELOVED half-time snack will no longer be served by Kilmarnock FC after a row between the club and Brownings Bakers severed the relationship.

JS87488553.jpg

THE transfer deadline for the Killie Pie Man loomed yesterday after the star of pastry severed his ties with Kilmarnock FC.

The Brownings Bakers talisman – described as the pastry equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo – was distraught as he left Rugby Park, where he won every honour on the domestic pie circuit.

But the Record can reveal Brownings have been locked in talks with catering bosses at several top-flight Scottish clubs since the breakdown in relations between Kilmarnock and the bakers this week.

JS87488529.jpg 

And a big transfer for the Pie Man seems imminent. He was spotted yesterday at stadiums across central Scotland. He told us said: “These club all have great pies but I just want to see the set-up at other clubs.

“I’ve been driving round all the clubs in the area to check them out. But my agent has told me not to make any other comment.”

Brownings’ managing director John Gall said: “I can’t reveal who we’ve been in talks with but I think there’s a very good chance that the Killie Pie will have a change of name and will be supplied to another club next season.

JS87488783.jpg 

“In pie terms, this product has won every honour going.

“In our opinion, it’s the pie equivalent of Cristiano Ronaldo, so it came as no surprise when the phones started ringing.

“We will have to see what is put on the table but if the deal is right, the pies will be sold at a rival Premiership ground next season.”

The Record told yesterday how the Killie Pie was declared dead after a trademark row between Killie and Brownings.

The Ayrshire pie-makers were stunned at receiving a 10 per cent “tax” demand on future sales of the delicacy.

Killie owner Michael Johnston believed Brownings were cashing in on the club’s name by expanding sales into supermarkets and offering no royalties back.

JS87488981.jpg

Killie Pie departs to undisclosed meetings with other clubs

A subsequent bid by Brownings to secure the “Killie Pie” trademark was contested by the club, resulting in the breakdown of their 13-year relationship.

The pie has been regularly voted the best in Scotland football over the years. It has also been named Scotland’s best savoury product and won the gold medal for the best British pub pie

(Record)

Edited by skygod

The "Killie pie" brand will be almost worthless after this type of exposure. There won't be a person in the country who isn't aware YNTTK's pies are changing name, the packaging will be subtly changed so shoppers pick up their usual treat and the only place selling the "official Killie pie" will be Rugby Park to an ever decreasing customer base. That's £650k-ish of inward investment lost, for no gain because of one mans ego. I'd imagine you'd be able to bring in a competent left back and a striker capable of moving and scoring for that kind of cash. 

12 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Cracking bit of positive spin, fun, customer friendly. Eye catching PR ...something our club is totally lacking

Couldn't agree more. Great exposure for the 'pie' and again the club are coming off the laughing stock. 

This is my favourite part of MJ's demands,

• Observe the standards, specifications, directions and instructions laid down by KFC concerning method of manufacture, quality, marketing, packaging and labelling of the Killie Pie

What do KFC know about pie manufacturing or marketing in general?

If MJ was in control of making Killie Pies the steak content would be reduced every season while the cost risen. The steak would end up reduced to nothing to be replace with mutton. Then when the old firm visited the famous Killie Pie would be sold in the away end only.

On 16/04/2016 at 9:23 AM, Zorro said:

The "Killie pie" brand will be almost worthless after this type of exposure. There won't be a person in the country who isn't aware YNTTK's pies are changing name, the packaging will be subtly changed so shoppers pick up their usual treat and the only place selling the "official Killie pie" will be Rugby Park to an ever decreasing customer base. That's £650k-ish of inward investment lost, for no gain because of one mans ego. I'd imagine you'd be able to bring in a competent left back and a striker capable of moving and scoring for that kind of cash. 

Not to mention what will be paid to the copyright lawyers. My last experience with corporate lawyers cost £1000 per hour, and that soon clocks up. How much has this man's personal vendettas cost this club over the years?

• CB locked this topic

The ball is in the clubs hands now.

My offer of £540K will not get beaten.

I know they have contacted other catering  companies as these companies have called me to let me know.

What happens then if my offer is the best? Will they take it up or go for a lower option?

Needs to be asked at the AGM.

25 minutes ago, YNTTK said:

What happens then if my offer is the best? Will they take it up or go for a lower option?

Outbid by The Park Hotel Ltd whos costs to the club for their services in other areas increases to make up the deficit, but will look legit on the clubs accounts as the best deal financially without any questions being asked.....

outbid is fine...reality is product quality delivery consistency turnover etc.... I suspect the park hotel pie will never emulate a pie made by a local established bakehouse that kinda knows how it works regarding mass production for large markets. john g knows he aint the only one that can do this but he knows he can beat his rivals and support his (previous) club. reality mj...on pies yer fect!

1 hour ago, YNTTK said:

I know they have contacted other catering  companies as these companies have called me to let me know.

Fiduciary duties........

• baz unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, YNTTK said:

is your offer still on the table?