BILL McNAUGHT RIP

jmthmsn

It was with a very heavy heart that I learnt of the passing of yet another Killie diehard this morning following illness. Bill was a 'weel kent face' at Rugby Park, a very passionate Killie supporter for more years than even I can remember and a very generous sponsor to the Club and Young Killie/Young Kilmarnock over many, many years and in many, many ways. He was also a generous and welcoming host at the Crown Hotel in Callander.

A big and welcoming personality, Bill was a member of the Killie Trust, a founder member of the Club's 1997 Club and a regular attender at the Club gym until.......(well, read the 'naughty list!'). To put it mildly, he was extremely dismayed at the direction our Club was going in and made the painful stance a few years ago to never to return to RP until the Company Secretary was removed. As a man of principle, he stuck to his guns.

My deepest condolences go to Ishbel and to all of Bill's family and many friends, including Ian Mortimer and Luise who visited him regularly in hospital.

Adding the recent loss of Guinny, 2017 hasn't had a good start!

Edited by jmthmsn

I got to know Bill through my work and his cleaning business. When he found out that two of us at work were big Killie fans he invited us to the 97 Club. I remember it was against Aberdeen, Skora's last game in his first stint (when he threw his shirt in the crowd). It was a memorable night, the photo of me and my workmate with Freddie Dindeleux is still on the office wall.

Another time he invited myself and my two boys to the last game of the season against Hearts, must be nine years ago in May. I was my youngest son's eleventh birthday and Bill made sure he made him feel really special arranging photos with players and presenting him with the gift of a new ball. Both my sons had a great day and I couldn't thank him enough. Again the picture of the two boys with Alan Combe and Fow still had pride of place in my office.

He always had time for Killie chat when he was down and yes, he was a big supporter of Young Killie as well.

RIP big man, thinking of your family at this sad time, you'll be sorely missed. One of life's true gents.    

Really sorry to hear this. A well known face both at home and away and a great Killie man. 

So sad to hear of another big Killie man pass. 

Regularly saw him on Scotland aways. Remember speaking to him after we landed in Skopje 2l008 and joking about the incredible heat and how we had no chance two days later. 

As John has said above, we'll raise  glass whenever the man who drove you away from rugby park is finally forced out. 

RIP big man and condolences to all Bills family and friends. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Jim T - very fitting and apt tribute to Bill. Sad sad news.

First met him a long time ago when we were both in Ballochmyle Hospital for minor ops when we were  in our 20's. We bonded straight away perhaps because of the common love of a certain football club.

Another taken far too young.

RIP Bill and sincere condolences to his family and many friends.

Gutted to hear this. Great Killie fan & Tartan Army footsoldier. 

Was in Duomo Square in Milan wae my two sons before an Italy v Scotland game. Some guys came wandering past wae a big Saltire asking everyone in the crowd "Has any Killie fan left this Scotland flag hanging up wae the other flags ?" Me and ma boys said if no-one claimed it we would get the flag back tae Killie. If I remember right we tracked him down through this website (?)

Anyway, we hooked up at Rugby Park soon after and returned the flag he thought they'd lost. He bought us copious pints and ever-after, at Killie & Scotland games, we always had a great time thegither. Guid Guy and extremely sad for his wife and son.        

• baz pinned this topic

RIP big chap. Always a lovely man with a hello and a chat every time you met him. I remember sailing with him on a wee 3 hour trip from Stavanger to see the ice falls. We were chatting about the game and he turned to his son and said. Cherrish these moments because you might never see them again... Mmmm! well spotted. And in Livingston he was buying everyone within earshot a drink for his mate John Simpson's birthday, shortly before his untimely demise at Tannadice. No hidden agendas with Bill, just a nice straight up guy

To celebrate Bill's life and give him a fitting send off we will meet on MONDAY 16th January 2017 at Callander Kirk, South Church Street, Callander, FK17 8BN for the service at 1pm.

Thereafter the committal will be held on TUESDAY 17th January 2017 at Falkirk Crematorium, Dorrator Road, Camelon, Falkirk, FK2 7YJ at 9am to which all friends are respectfully invited. 

Family flowers only and donations to Forth Valley Royal Hospital, Falkirk.

Ishbel has also stated that all Killie and Scotland scarves are welcome. Please feel free to wear them in Bills honour.

Iain Macleod ( [email protected] ) said:

Good evening,

I tried to join your forum to pay my condolences on the message board to a good friend of mine Bill Mcnaught, who was a massive Killie fan, I am a Hibs fan and my Email address reflects this, I knew Bill through work initially, but through football we became friends and Bill and his friends looked after me and my family when we came through to rugby park, Bills family, your football family and your club, have lost a good man, an ambassador and a true gentleman. My thoughts and prayers are to you all.

If you could pass this on I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and condolences,

Iain Macleod

Edinburgh