New Manager Poll

findlayc1869

New Manager Poll  

368 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see as the new Killie manager?

• Lee McCulloch
    • Gary Holt
    • Jim Duffy
    • Mixu
    • Dylan Kerr
    • James Fowler
    • Gary Locke
    • Other

10 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Agree with a lot that you said there. I'm just after a man with some kind of plan to use the facilities we have to bring our own through and avoid 10 loans a season

The loanees were always a stop gap, and there is nothing wrong with using that market - the extent to which LC used it however....  I stand by my opinion that we need a management team restructure.  Someone who can help and assist a young coach, look at and identify a playing style or even identity and guide the rest of the footballing coaches (youth through to 1st team) towards that identity.  A DoF would give us some form of continuity between coaches, as well as between age groups and senior sides.  yes it may COST a little, but the benefits outweigh those costs immensely - trouble is I do not trust our board to pick the right person.

1 hour ago, Killie_Damo said:

With due respect I disagree.  Yes, a DoF does shape the club from top to bottom but it's a lot more than looking at the youth teams etc.  It requires a lot of organisation.  Any such role would likely be heavy on player recruitment which is an area that Kenny doesn't excel in.  I agree he would be fantastic at shaping a youth policy with a pathway into the first team but generally this would be the Head of Youth remit.  The DoF is almost more of a co-ordinator role and a big part of that is delegation.  Not Kenny's strong points (ask Jimmy Nic, he wouldn't even let Jimmy set out the cones).  In my opinion Kenny is too 'hands on' to be a DoF and his time management is poor.  He'd be a massive asset to a club in a suitable role but I'm just not convinced a DoF is that role.

I can see some of your points mate

Whether it be a Director of football or a general manager I think we need someone in between the Board and the football staff. As has been said countless times as a club we lack direction. We need someone to make a plan and implement it. We've given Locke free reign and he had no clue. We have Clark the same and he implemented good things but was very short termist at others.

The board have other interests. A full time employee to look after things would be better if we could finance it 

I wasn't overly excited by McCulloch initially but I think he is worth a punt.

In his recent interview he talked about self improvement, going to other countries to see how things are done there. He even turned the job down last year as he felt he wasn't ready. Considering the type of player he was, that's quite humble/sensible.

I have a good feeling about him now. I can feel it, deep down, in my plums

6 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

A DoF would give us some form of continuity between coaches, as well as between age groups and senior sides.  yes it may COST a little, but the benefits outweigh those costs immensely - trouble is I do not trust our board to pick the right person.

It doesn't need to cost a lot. Jim Jeffries or Craig Brown overseeing Gary Holt wouldn't cost much as none of them are working at present.

The biggest question is, as always, would they want to work with MJ???

12 hours ago, RayD said:

Interesting quote from the Cellic manager...

"The key thing you look at as a manager before anything is the alignment at the top of the club.
If you don't have that, it's very tough," opines the Northern Irishman

Could be construed as merely kissing the backsides of Peter Lawwell and Dermont Desmond (and having a dig at Rangers) but it does make sense nonetheless....

20 hours ago, piffer said:

Whether it be a Director of football or a general manager I think we need someone in between the Board and the football staff. As has been said countless times as a club we lack direction. We need someone to make a plan and implement it. We've given Locke free reign and he had no clue. We have Clark the same and he implemented good things but was very short termist at others.

The board have other interests. A full time employee to look after things would be better if we could finance it 

Why do wee need a director of football ? Is it because we are giving the job to a manager we don't trust to take care of the footballing side because that's what the postion is what ever way you sex it up 

38 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Why do wee need a director of football ? Is it because we are giving the job to a manager we don't trust to take care of the footballing side because that's what the postion is what ever way you sex it up 

We have a board who have no footballing knowledge. Whether they are experienced or not we are giving managers too much power at the football club. Then when they go it's another major overhaul. IMO a director of football offers continuity and hopefully direction.

39 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

You obviously don't understand the role or you wouldn't be asking.  The DoF is the foil between coach and board, a sounding board and guide for the coach, someone who sets the footballing direction and provides a clear structure to the whole  football ethos of a club.  They deal with the business s**te allowing the coach to coach and focus on the team and performances.

They sort out the coaching structure, the future strategy in the mid snd long term.

In days gone by the likes of sir Alex, and shankly, etc.did this all.  But there is now I believe too much going on not to distract a single person from their core job which is the first team. 

The DoF also gives continuity as they appoint the coach, and make any transition smoother.. we then don't necessarily have a succession of managers changing the whole setup every few years and the youth don't know what is happening, which in turn can  restrict their development and lose the club talent and money.

2 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

You obviously don't understand the role or you wouldn't be asking.  The DoF is the foil between coach and board, a sounding board and guide for the coach, someone who sets the footballing direction and provides a clear structure to the whole  football ethos of a club.  They deal with the business s**te allowing the coach to coach and focus on the team and performances.

They sort out the coaching structure, the future strategy in the mid snd long term.

In days gone by the likes of sir Alex, and shankly, etc.did this all.  But there is now I believe too much going on not to distract a single person from their core job which is the first team. 

The DoF also gives continuity as they appoint the coach, and make any transition smoother.. we then don't necessarily have a succession of managers changing the whole setup every few years and the youth don't know what is happening, which in turn can  restrict their development and lose the club talent and money.

Aye right .The DoF is to make sure the manager is doing his job properly because they don't trust him .The manager deals with the coaching and as for the structure ,what will that be .The way the manager wants to run the team or some old has been manager telling story's to the board on his way of doing it ,what he thinks of his signings and who and how he plays .Oh an give interviews when he doesn't think the manager will say the right thing .I wonder why none of the top managers work under a DoF .Just because Sevco are talking about one does't mean we need another person intervening with the team . 

There is something seriously wrong with Scottish football when Bury is a better bet than our top league.

So our choice is a failed manager who can't get work elsewhere and needs the money.

A failed manager that is trying to rebuild his reputation and will jump ship at the 1st opportunity.

An inexperienced lower league manager who if successful will jump ship at 1st opportunity.

A Killie legend who's heart will probably be bigger than his managerial talent.

Or an in-house promotion - most likely.

However there is one man with a good track record of keeping his club in the top flight and that club have been in freefall since getting rid of him.

Danny Lennon.

1 hour ago, Killiepies said:

Aye right .The DoF is to make sure the manager is doing his job properly because they don't trust him .The manager deals with the coaching and as for the structure ,what will that be .The way the manager wants to run the team or some old has been manager telling story's to the board on his way of doing it ,what he thinks of his signings and who and how he plays .Oh an give interviews when he doesn't think the manager will say the right thing .I wonder why none of the top managers work under a DoF .Just because Sevco are talking about one does't mean we need another person intervening with the team . 

Lets all just keep it the way it is then cos  'weve always done it like that'. Your post above is what is wrong with killie, there is no forward thinking, as for the has been comment, this is so outdated its laughable.  Having someone who will SUPPORT the coach and help is one of the main roles of a DOF.

As for none of the top coaches working under a DOF, aye right mate, beenthe norm on the continent for decades.