Lee McCulloch

muza1962

5 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

been thinking that the whole McDonald thing is becoming a bit of obsession, so a few points to consider, i didnt agree that he should have been dropped for Woodman at the beginning but looking at it

Woodman - Played 6 - Won 2 Lost 2 Drew 2 - Conceded 7

McDonalds last 6 - won 0 lost 3 drew 3 - Conceded 11

McDonalds previous 6 - won 1 lost 3 drew 2 conceded 10

taking any sentiment out of it with McDonald you have to judge Woodman on his performances, i think hes done well, and well enough to keep McDonald out, doesnt mean Woodman cant mess up but he has came into the team and performed well, maybe time for a bit more support for him rather than "will McDonald be back in this week"

theres no question of how vital McDonald has been to us and still is but regardless of whether we agree with him being dropped Woodman deserves some credit for his early performances

I agree with the majority of your post but not the stats comparison. MacDonald was playing with an ever changing defence. Defence has been reasonably similar since Woodman came into the team and Dicker and Ajer have been an improvement. 

Just now, Wrangodog said:

I agree with the majority of your post but not the stats comparison. MacDonald was playing with an ever changing defence. Defence has been reasonably similar since Woodman came into the team and Dicker and Ajer have been an improvement. 

aye i wasnt saying the stats are the proof that it was justified dropping him but it more highlights since he came in the team we are showing an improvment again i am not saying this is based solely on his performance, but i think Woodman deserves more backing now,

7 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

aye i wasnt saying the stats are the proof that it was justified dropping him but it more highlights since he came in the team we are showing an improvment again i am not saying this is based solely on his performance, but i think Woodman deserves more backing now,

He has done nothing wrong, but he is also going at end of season, Jamie Mac, hopefully, won't be, we should be more loyal to our own players, it's not like Woodman is a better keeper, that's why we should be keener for JM to be back between the sticks.

2 minutes ago, Trojan76 said:

He has done nothing wrong, but he is also going at end of season, Jamie Mac, hopefully, won't be, we should be more loyal to our own players, it's not like Woodman is a better keeper, that's why we should be keener for JM to be back between the sticks.

before Woodman appeared i guarentee you hadnt seen the boy play,

how do you know he wont be a better keeper than Jamie? hes played 6 games, you've had 58 games watching Jamie ,

i still dont agree he should have been dropped but Woodman hasnt done anything wrong, and im sorry if you're a professional keeper and you get dropped even though you hadnt done much wrong but the manager wants to make sure you are challenged for the position, you have to suck it up and get on with it and take your chance again when it comes along,  

its a big boys game and i think its one of they ones where, should he have been dropped ? probably not, has the new lad came in and proved in the 6 starts he should keep his place ? id say so and from here on out its about making sure the team finds a bit of consisitency and try and put together a run to build a gap between us and the bottom 4, so lets give him a chance to continue to prove us wrong and be part of a settled team that can see us safely through to another season in the top flight

1 hour ago, Charlies PaPa said:

Craig Gordon was dropped by Rogers for his poor use of feet and bringing his defenders back into the game quickly.  He buckled down worked hard on the areas required and came back a better keeper.

Or perhaps his return was more down to the fact that his replacement was total mince.

3 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

before Woodman appeared i guarentee you hadnt seen the boy play,

how do you know he wont be a better keeper than Jamie? hes played 6 games, you've had 58 games watching Jamie ,

i still dont agree he should have been dropped but Woodman hasnt done anything wrong, and im sorry if you're a professional keeper and you get dropped even though you hadnt done much wrong but the manager wants to make sure you are challenged for the position, you have to suck it up and get on with it and take your chance again when it comes along,  

its a big boys game and i think its one of they ones where, should he have been dropped ? probably not, has the new lad came in and proved in the 6 starts he should keep his place ? id say so and from here on out its about making sure the team finds a bit of consisitency and try and put together a run to build a gap between us and the bottom 4, so lets give him a chance to continue to prove us wrong and be part of a settled team that can see us safely through to another season in the top flight

Av watched woodman fur the last 2 years doon here and trust me,the lads quality and is destined fur big things 

2 hours ago, Rodgie83 said:

Av watched woodman fur the last 2 years doon here and trust me,the lads quality and is destined fur big things 

I imagine your correct or he wouldn't have Man City, Liverpool, Southampton and Arsenal watching him on a regular basis if he wasn't quality

Lee McCulloch has to be given the job at Kilmarnock right now.

There is no point in this interim situation hanging over the caretaker and his assistant Peter Leven.

The Rugby Park side should put McCulloch and Leven into full-time positions before tomorrow’s game with Motherwell.

Why? Because looking at the situation at the bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership right now, stability looks likes being the key to surviving through this season's brutal dogfight.

For the neutrals, the battle at the bottom is sensational.

With Celtic running so far clear of the pack they are now wee green dots in the distance and Aberdeen looking to have the measure of Rangers in the race for second spot, it’s dull at the top.

Hearts and St Johnstone aren’t capable of getting close to Rangers and they’ll fight for fourth, but the real action is at the bottom.

It’s been an astounding past week down there. Talk about teams rising to the challenge.

From the bottom seven sides in the top flight, six of them won games in the past week.

Inverness beat Rangers, Hamilton beat Aberdeen, Dundee won, Kilmarnock won, Ross County won. Partick Thistle are flying.

The odd ones out are Motherwell. Maybe that’s the point.

They are the ones with management issues after the sacking of Mark McGhee.

Instability at the top is not looking like a good idea right now.

Go through the rest. Partick have been outstanding in recent weeks to move into the top spot with a manager in Alan Archibald who is steeped in the club and is the longest-serving boss in the league.

He knows that squad inside-out and, arguably, he could end up Manager of the Year outside of Brendan Rodgers because he’s working wonders on a consistent basis.

Paul Hartley has been at Dundee for a long time. He’s the same.

Richie Foran was given the role at the beginning of the season at Inverness and, despite a difficult first half of the campaign, the club now seem to be seeing the benefits of sticking by the Irishman.

Same goes for Hamilton. It seems there’s a demonstration every week against Martin Canning, yet no one knows that club as well as him and, as shown against the Dons, he knows how to dig out a big result. It’s not the first time and won't be the last.

Killie have benefited from McCulloch and Leven making a seamless change when Lee Clark left for Bury.

They knew the club, knew the squad and made a couple of little tweaks which have improved their situation.

Motherwell are seeing now this issue clearly. New manager bounce can work, of course. But not really with 11 games to go and no transfer window to get your new signings into your team.

This is not a time for upheaval. As has been abundantly clear at Hearts and Rangers since the departures of Robbie Neilson and Mark Warburton, there can be confusion and new faces can take time to get their ideas across.

Motherwell are now in a position where any new guy is going to have to get his plans in place almost immediately because time is not on their side in this relegation fight.

James McFadden and the other coaches will help Steve Robinson, but it’s not ideal. It’s still a change at a bad time.

Unlike Partick, Dundee, Hamilton, Inverness and County, Killie are with Motherwell in this tricky situation of having no full-time boss.

But at least they are in a position to solve that situation right this second by handing the jobs to two men who have been at the football for two years and are in with the bricks at Rugby Park.

It’s a no-brainer. If Killie want the best chance to survive, McCulloch and Leven should get the gig and get it now.

(Craig Swann, Daily Record)

Which assumes that McCulloch wants the job. We know that he has been lukewarm in his public comments on the job and has spoken about wanting to hear the board's proposals on the club's future.

In most cases, Swann would have a point but the days of a caretaker manager jumping at the chance to take a job permanently seem to have gone, at least in those cases where the candidate has other options available.

It's also short-sighted of Swann to think only in terms of survival this season. The board has to make a decision in the club's best interests for the next two to three years - the appointment has to be right to take the club forward.

I think our board will also have been scarred by the experience of Clark who blatantly used the club. They are going to be wary of not being in this position again for the fourth season running next year.

Edited by skygod

13 minutes ago, Caldow said:

Short sighted of Swann? Our board can't see past their noses. Probably the one time the easy choice to the end of the season is the right one though.

"Killie have benefited from McCulloch and Leven making a seamless change when Lee Clark left for Bury.

They knew the club, knew the squad and made a couple of little tweaks which have improved their situation."

You don't think this is short-sighted, to judge people on the basis of two matches? One won, one lost when the crucial difference was a dubious substitution?

Have they improved our situation? What are the "couple of tweaks"? Bringing in Scott Boyd and moving Dicker back to his proper position, both of which were true no-brainers.    

I'm sure McCulloch and Leven have done a good job in the past three weeks but I don't think that alone - which seems to be Swann's point - justifies giving them the jobs.

If we did and it went tits up, you can be sure that Swann would be among the first to accuse the board of a botched job, because that's how the tabloid script works.

32 minutes ago, skygod said:

"Killie have benefited from McCulloch and Leven making a seamless change when Lee Clark left for Bury.

They knew the club, knew the squad and made a couple of little tweaks which have improved their situation."

You don't think this is short-sighted, to judge people on the basis of two matches? One won, one lost when the crucial difference was a dubious substitution?

Have they improved our situation? What are the "couple of tweaks"? Bringing in Scott Boyd and moving Dicker back to his proper position, both of which were true no-brainers.    

I'm sure McCulloch and Leven have done a good job in the past three weeks but I don't think that alone - which seems to be Swann's point - justifies giving them the jobs.

If we did and it went tits up, you can be sure that Swann would be among the first to accuse the board of a botched job, because that's how the tabloid script works.

Weren't you one of the guys who criticised LM when did so during the Aberdeen game ? 

28 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Weren't you one of the guys who criticised LM when did so during the Aberdeen game ? 

When you're 80 minutes into a game, defending a slender lead and the two center back are playing excellently, you DON'T change it unless injury enforced. Especially when you have a central midfielder on the bench that can be a like for like swap that you end up introducing 5 minutes later anyway.

Hes made a few tweaks to the team. Dicker back to CM was perhaps enforced quicker than planned with Stevie Smiths injury and no experienced CM as backup. He's moved McKenzie back into the central area and Sammon out wide both of which have proved good moves

2 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

For the reason that Van Tornhout's Header states. 

Big difference between changing someone's position between matches and 80 minutes into a match.

Edited by skygod

Was hoping that LM wouldn't go back to the old ways of managing, ie. Standing in the dugout with his hands in his pockets or sittin down n not paying attention to whats happening on the pitch, but it seems he has. No passion, no motivation of players, not offering any instruction/coaching, are you Gary Locke in disguise. 

Went back to the old training regime after a vote by the dressing room, well done Lee you're still one of the lads.

The reason Clark changed it was so the players weren't running out of energy half way through a game, but hey lets change it to keep some of the players happy as they prefer to be at home come 3 oclock during the week.

We started playing out from the back and keeping posession but na lets go back to lumpin the baw up the park n hope tae get a loose baw or a lucky touch. 

FFS McCulloch be a feckin manager n MANAGE the team cos it looks to me as though the team are managin you.

Edited by Bigbill
Spelling

3 hours ago, historyman said:

I would have said the four games including the one yesterday were vitally important for the league position and would also give a good indication of how McCulloch and Leven are doing.

As far as I am concerned they have certainly failed the first of these tests.

True.Major disappointment yesterday without a doubt.  Can't say for certain that, even if we were to win the next 3 that's he's a shoe in, but would certainly help to make a stronger case for a permanent appointment. No question that the 3 matches in question will go a long way to shaping where we are come the split, either sitting fairly comfortably,or scrapping away to avoid bottom/play-off.

Maybe LM was giving his new club a 3pt present?
I love a good conspiracy theory :D

Given the results last week for Hertz, Gers and Dons, Motherwell winning to complete the set  was a near certainty.
Trying to remember when we last won 2 games in a row....anyone?