Magennis

Killieboykfc

What an unbelievably important player he is for us, his pace and power is frightening to watch and he constantly gives opposition defenders a torrid time. A fantastic performance today from a very underrated player in Scotland IMO. He may not score the most but we are a much better player with him in the team. On yerself Josh.

I agree, most scottish football fans laugh whent hey hear his name but to me he is quite possibly our best player and deserves far more recognition than he gets.

defenders struggle to deal woth him and used in the right way he is a huge threat directly and indirectly. He also puts a better ball into the box than any killie player i have seen for a long while, particularly when running full tilt. 

Edited by Tom061087

Overrated by many IMO. Thought he was excellent today if your being over critical you could say he didn't beat his man often enough when facing him in 1vs1 situations. He did do them for pace and power in foot races and should have scored the header at the far post.

Id play him in that area of the field before I'd put him in up front. A key area of focus in the summer would be signing strikers with the goals in them that keep him away from the centre forward role. He not reliable enough to be the main man as has been proven in the last two seasons.

6 minutes ago, piffer said:

Overrated by many IMO. Thought he was excellent today if your being over critical you could say he didn't beat his man often enough when facing him in 1vs1 situations. He did do them for pace and power in foot races and should have scored the header at the far post.

Id play him in that area of the field before I'd put him in up front. A key area of focus in the summer would be signing strikers with the goals in them that keep him away from the centre forward role. He not reliable enough to be the main man as has been proven in the last two seasons.

Maybe i missed a few in the first half, on the other side of the pitch, but i honestly think he beat his man more times than any other player on the park today, so i think thats a bit harsh!

also i don't know if you are discrediting the times he beat his man for pace and power, they all count!

i do agree his best position is probably out wide, but i'm not sure he has ever really been given a long run up front with proper support, not many strikers score a lot of goals when left isolated with hopeful balls punted into the channels over and over.

Overall for a team at our level he has had a very decent season ...will never be a regular goal scoring centre forward .but if utilised correctly like today he can bring enough benefits to a team in certain positions .....

..not his fault a so called Manager made so many poor signings during the summer that he was played so often as our only forward..

The knock into space and chase it worked really well and it's something I've wanted to see him do more of since he joined. It was something Sammon did well and players at other clubs utilise but I felt Magennis and Obadeyi didn't do enough for us despite being blessed with pace.

The part I was being critical of was he doesn't appear to have a trick in him if he couldn't  knock it into space.

Edited by piffer

5 minutes ago, Merk said:

I wonder if he's let their left back out his back pocket yet.  Absolutely roasted the life out him today.

Their LB was the infamous tam scobbie who cragieboy had us signing a good few times on the old site

Could see last week playing Magennis out wide work could be an option for the rest of the season & today it paid dividend 

Fair play to Josh for a great performance today I hold my hands up to him as I said in an earlier post that I thought he was more effective through the middle but boy did he prove me wrong today a fantastic effort all game and he linked well with boydie. 

Hope he goes to the euros as he deserves it well done big man.

Ripped Scobbie to shreds today and was obviously told to use his pace by knocking it on and did so to great effect. Bit of work on his final ball and he could be one of the best wide players in the league.

Extra brownie points for the cover he gave O'Hara early in the first half.

• 2 weeks later...

Much as Buddha taught, I feel there is a middle way with Magennis.

When he's in-form and full of confidence he can give any Scottish Premiership defender a torrid time: he's big, he's quick, he's strong and he works hard.

At the same time: He's not a finisher, he doesn't have much of a touch and his game intelligence is poor.

He's not a player to build your team around, but he can be an asset if used correctly.

I actually thought he was deployed perfectly against Saints: Get the ball, kick it past your man and run. Simple, and makes the most of his physical attributes.

As a striker he doesn't read the game well, he can't finish. He's not particularly good with his back to goal and 9 times out of 10 if he wins a header it's going straight up in the air or isn't particularly guided anywhere. He does try though.

I don't think he can link up well enough, or is creative enough to play off of a striker.

On the right you get more out of his pace, power and workrate. His delivery isn't great but it's passable. If you're playing against a slower full back, like Scobbie, then Josh will have him for pace every time. He definitely looks a better player with the park in front of him to run into. I'd like to see him given a run out wide because he probably deserve it for sticking in all season when others haven't. I'd like to see LC find the best in him, he has enough to be a capable player but playing him up front simply because he's big makes him look worse, and the midfield probably suffers as a result too.

Edited by Fletch