Andy McLaren Podcast

GrazyKillie

Not sure if anyone has listened to the recent sportsound podcast but it involves an extended interview with McLaren.

Talks about his journey through football and growing up in Poverty etc. 

Very very interesting listen, speaks excellently and very open about himself. 

If you've got some spare time give it a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04xhg68?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sportsound&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=scotland

19 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Andy is quoted on the BBC web pages as saying that even in football your parents need to have money for you to succeed.

A sad reflection on our society and so we get what we deserve at international level   .....  absolutely nothing.

my boy plays pro youth and you definately need money for the amount of fuel you go through when they are training 3 times a week and playing on a Sunday up and down the country, its not cheap,

5 minutes ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

my boy plays pro youth and you definately need money for the amount of fuel you go through when they are training 3 times a week and playing on a Sunday up and down the country, its not cheap,

No it certainly is not cheap mate how is he doing at football  , hope he gets picked up by any club eh not Ayr 

• 2 months later...

Just listened to this interview when they repeated it yesterday afternoon on Sportsound. A man with real passion and commitment and an unwavering belief in the good football can do in helping kids in working class communities- communities McLaren says are ignored by the SFA. Darryl Broadfoot (ex journalist and ex SFA head of communications and who grew up a contemporary of McLaren's in Castlemilk) was a bit defensive afterwards, basically saying football is a middle class sport now because the working class no longer exists- we are all middle class (unless you have no money, then you are some kind of underclass). I was actually quite moved listening to Andy McLaren talking about his past, his football career and his work now. I remember him scoring twice against Rangers at Rugby Park to put us 2-0 up early in the first half (we got beat 4-2).