General Election

skygod

A sad day with the UK swinging even further to the right, so much so it's going to be half way across the Atlantic soon. Towards the richest country in the world, a place that does not believe in basic healthcare provision for those who can't afford it and that the answer to their appalling gun violence problem is to tool everyone up.

If you believe that Scotland is more naturally inclined in that direction than England then I despair.

So Indyref2 is dead in the water because Tank Commander Ruth's party has won a whopping 23% in the Council Elections.(only 1-2% more than Labour in fact).Meanwhile the SNP's number of seats is actually slightly up. Polls also suggest the SNP are still on course for 50 plus seats next month.

The SNP don't implement any left wing/radical policies....apart from substantial Land Reform which helps redistributes ownership to ordinary people, a significant increase in child care provision, a Living Wage implemented across Scotland's councils, the Proceeds of Crime funds being redistributed to community projects, substantial capital investment projects of which the new Forth Bridge is only one,(which has always been considered economically to be a left wing measure) a 50:50 gender balanced cabinet, same sex marriage, offsetting the worst effects of the Bedroom Tax in Scotland, a large increase in the education budget which has helped to rebuild or refurbish nearly 700 schools, mitigating Labour's PFI disaster, large expansion of council house building, crime at a 40 year low, NHS waiting times reduced due to investment to name a few. Nothing left leaning in there right enough.

Edited by Jedi2

13 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

One policy...'Say No to a 2nd Referendum'.

The problem now is that Labour are losing voters in their droves, are unelectable in many areas and in danger of imploding with the only way back being to go back to their roots and set up a completely new party. But this will take a long time as people in general have become greedier, hence they are prepared to vote Tory. I can see how that would happen down south, and in many instances up in Scotland, with those against independence. Guess it depends on what the Scottish public now want, is it to govern themselves or be lap dogs and a testing ground again to a Tory party implementing their hard line policies. But to those Labour voters that want to retain the Union at all costs, don't coming on here greeting when it all goes t1ts up and your party is fighting with Libs for double digit percentages of votes.

2 hours ago, Brianstorm said:

See for all this chat of bedroom tax, I don't think I've ever ever ever met anyone in the real world who's paid for it,  or complained about it, other than politicians and folk trying to make a point. Is it even a f**king thing?

I must say, if folk are in cooncil houses and have spare rooms that aren't being used other than for their two Staffordshire Bull Terriers, then whilst we are in the middle of a refugee crisis, I think it's correct we make them pay for the f**king spare room. Move the f**k into a smaller house dolebag you don't need that and we have Syrian refugees that do. Stop being selfish. Get oot. 

You've never met anyone anyone affected by it because the "Tory lite", SNP BAAAAD Scottish government have mitigated it i.e. they've taken money (£47million) from somewhere else to plug the gap and guarantee that none of the 70,000 affected households in Scotland will ever pay it.

As for your second paragraph...well...it doesn't deserve a response.

6 hours ago, Brianstorm said:

The country isn't split into left and right as some of you desperately want it to be, the world has very much moved on, thankfully. Fewer enemies is a better country and despite you nationalist twats desperate for a fight on every corner, nobody wants a fight apart from you. 

Sadly it's not moved on at all. Do you think the people of Feegie Park and Shettleston have voted in a Tory councillor because they think the Tories will act upon their best interests, or is there maybe be an overriding ulterior motive there?

Edited by Dieter's Heeder

12 hours ago, Brianstorm said:

Hyperbobs wee club 

image-0-02-04-9c3f439b4f700b45484571cb752c76d0706341fe6f58b3f10e6ec9839e2232d0-V.jpg

Waaayyyy off the mark, brian.  You have just either deliberately or not made the typical west of scotland schoolboy error.  The lodge I am in is a lodge of freemasons, and most certainly NOT related to the above pile of singularly religious bigotted nonsense.

17 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

A few points.

Firstly, as I've said many times before, Scotland kids itself on its some sort of soft left nirvana. It's really quite conservative socially and economically and is now proving it. If we gained independence the process would speed up under a renamed, repackaged right wing low tax party.

I'm willing to bet you didn't hold this view when Scotland's election night maps were a sea of red. 

Secondly, for all the hand wringing about the Tories, the SNP in government are pretty much Tory lite, with almost identical approaches to taxation and policies that help the middle classes more then the poor. I've asked the SNP supporters to name any significant socially radical policies many times. They can't. Usually stuff about bridges, tolls and roads.The Glasgow result is quite ironic as they have robbed them blind of funds for ten years. 

As regular readers of the forum will know, you always put the same caveat in place when you ask your "great social reform" question. The "spending money on the middle-classes, which could be spent on the genuinely poor" clause, which you use to exclude free personal care, free higher education, free prescriptions, increased free childcare, mitigating the bedroom tax, increased affordable housing...

You've yet to explain why Labours reforms aren't held to the same standards. 

Thirdly, this better together red Tory p1sh always bemuses me. Apparently, in a binary choice , Labour's only option was either to accept independence ( which they don't believe in ) or be called Tories because they wanted to keep the Union, for totally different reasons. Cannae really win on that one.

No, Labour are called red Tories because they campaigned with them, lied with them,  celebrated with them and now vote with them. Labour could quite easily have run their own pro-union campaign. They could vote to mitigate Tory cuts and use their uk wide platform to criticise the tories, instead all we get is snp bad and abstentions. 

When the respective manifestos are produced, the Labour one will be far more substantially left of centre than the SNP one, but that won't matter as the country either won't listen or has stopped listening. 

And Solidarity's will be left of Labour's. It's easy to make promises when there's no chance of having to implement them. Tellingly, Labour move swiftly to the right when there's a genuine chance of victory. 

The SNP can win the election by as much as they like in Scotland, but it doesn't mean they're right, just as the Tories winning by a landslide in the UK doesn't mean their right.

In the meantime, we rebuild and will return one day as befits the only party that has ever really facilitated substantial social reforms.

It may not mean they're right, but it does mean they're credible. It means people are satisfied with the job they're doing and the impact they're having on their lives. More importantly for your party, it means they don't see a better alternative out 

16 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

This is what drives me up the wall. You keep calling Labour red Tories, then when they promote leftish polices you say they're not viable. Totally illogical. I don't mind the SNP being centre ground, much like new labour. Just stop kidding they're antything else!

Don't you think Labour should be held to the same standards as you hold the SNP? You repeatedly ridicule the economic case for independence, shouldn't Labour's policies be economically sound if they're to be be considered believable?

Finally, here's your better together chum's view on playing Labour like a fiddle and making them unelectable in Scotland  

IMG_0020.JPG

Edited by Zorro

I expect the same pantomime in June with the Tories winning about 3 seats and claiming victory, the SNAP getting 53 and claiming it gives them a mandate for indyref2 and Labour saying they are building for the future.

I expect May to get the landslide she wants but strangely to go for a much softer Brexit as she will have her right wing nutter back benchers off her back.

Corbin will disappear and never be spoken of again.

After that is less clear, inflation will take off, council services will disappear, people will have to pay for their own NHS drugs and the number of economically idle people will go through the roof.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Waaayyyy off the mark, brian.  You have just either deliberately or not made the typical west of scotland schoolboy error.  The lodge I am in is a lodge of freemasons, and most certainly NOT related to the above pile of singularly religious bigotted nonsense.

Beaker is in a Freemason Lodge!! Hahahahaha. Absolutely brilliant, Brianstorm!!!!

Edited by Mclean07

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

I'm willing to bet you didn't hold this view when Scotland's election night maps were a sea of red. 

As regular readers of the forum will know, you always put the same caveat in place when you ask your "great social reform" question. The "spending money on the middle-classes, which could be spent on the genuinely poor" clause, which you use to exclude free personal care, free higher education, free prescriptions, increased free childcare, mitigating the bedroom tax, increased affordable housing...

You've yet to explain why Labours reforms aren't held to the same standards. 

No, Labour are called red Tories because they campaigned with them, lied with them,  celebrated with them and now vote with them. Labour could quite easily have run their own pro-union campaign. They could vote to mitigate Tory cuts and use their uk wide platform to criticise the tories, instead all we get is snp bad and abstentions. 

And Solidarity's will be left of Labour's. It's easy to make promises when there's no chance of having to implement them. Tellingly, Labour move swiftly to the right when there's a genuine chance of victory. 

It may not mean they're right, but it does mean they're credible. It means people are satisfied with the job they're doing and the impact they're having on their lives. More importantly for your party, it means they don't see a better alternative out 

Don't you think Labour should be held to the same standards as you hold the SNP? You repeatedly ridicule the economic case for independence, shouldn't Labour's policies be economically sound if they're to be be considered believable?

Finally, here's your better together chum's view on playing Labour like a fiddle and making them unelectable in Scotland  

IMG_0020.JPG

You know what, you're right in everything you say. If it makes you happy and content, I give in.

31 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

You know what, you're right in everything you say. If it makes you happy and content, I give in.

I'd be even happier if you just answered some of the many questions, people have asked you, over these last few years. I won't hold my breath though.

I will continue to point out your hypocrisy, although I expect you'll go back into hiding quite soon. You'll probably level an accusation of nasty cybernats/bullying/echo chamber before you flounce off. Then we'll only see you once you have the opportunity to celebrate Scotland being adversely affected in some way. 

2 minutes ago, Zorro said:

I'd be even happier if you just answered some of the many questions, people have asked you, over these last few years. I won't hold my breath though.

I will continue to point out your hypocrisy, although I expect you'll go back into hiding quite soon. You'll probably level an accusation of nasty cybernats/bullying/echo chamber before you flounce off. Then we'll only see you once you have the opportunity to celebrate Scotland being adversely affected in some way. 

Nae bother, pal :)

9 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Beaker is in a Freemason Lodge!! Hahahahaha. Absolutely brilliant, Brianstorm!!!!

And your point is?  I take by your laughing that you haven't the foggiest idea what freemasonry is all about, and obviously neither has brian.  A bit like politics for you guys really :14:

Wouldn't get too worked up by the Tory in Feegie Park stuff.  That ward includes some of the posher streets of Paisley and not just the Feegie Park slums. Also the Tory candidate (who got in on the 10th round of votes) had the same name as a well known local SNP activist who was standing as an independent candidate and it is suspected that some may have voted for the wrong person inadvertently.

2 hours ago, chubbs said:

Wouldn't get too worked up by the Tory in Feegie Park stuff.  That ward includes some of the posher streets of Paisley and not just the Feegie Park slums. Also the Tory candidate (who got in on the 10th round of votes) had the same name as a well known local SNP activist who was standing as an independent candidate and it is suspected that some may have voted for the wrong person inadvertently.

Are you really trying to say that some people who vot d for this chap were illiterate? Seriously? How many voters do you think were unable to determine who they were voting for? Clutching at straws, you sound very desperate.

6 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

Are you really trying to say that some people who vot d for this chap were illiterate? Seriously? How many voters do you think were unable to determine who they were voting for? Clutching at straws, you sound very desperate.

Given that it has been widely reported that a significant number of ballot papers had crosses instead of numbers, I'd agree that many people who voted are either (a) illiterate, or (b) stupid.